I See I Like

Chapter two

Although I have many reasons to hate going to school especially on Fridays, I like school. Tutoring Danny was nothing compared to what I had to deal with on a weakly basis. Ms. Pilon was an awesome teacher and I would do anything to keep anyone from hurting her especially her husband.

Ms. Pilon’s husband was Mr. Pilon. They are both English teachers, the only difference was that she taught 10th and 12 graders while he taught 9th and 11th graders. Yeah I had him in the 9th grade as my English teacher and unfortunately for me, I don’t know how but he found out about what I did and he threatened to tell his wife who had grown to like me … I didn’t want him to tell her, I like Ms. Pilon a lot so I let him black mail me …

Now that I think about it, maybe I wasn’t being fair to Ms Pilon when I neglected to tell her about the sort of things her husband did behind her back…

Anyways, that day I had to deal with him before after school came around and by the time I had to tutor Danny I was in a bad mood. I didn’t mean to it just happened.

When I arrived to Ms. Pilon’s room she wasn’t there only Danny. He was standing over the desks trying to sort out some papers. His lost expression made him look cute and I couldn’t help but smile at his cuteness.

I know I shouldn’t have smiled at him, but I couldn’t help it. Just as I smiled and walked into the room Danny looked up, saw me smile and smiled back at me.

Dam me.

I was supposed to be cold hearted to him just like he acted towards me that other day and already I’m acting like a school girl who’s hanging around the guy she has a crush on. I mean come on it’s not like if he’s Yoshikazu Kotani or … or one of those cute Asian guys I always dream about. Haha, don’t judge me ok. Everyone dreams of one day meeting that famous guy or girl they admire so much right?

I wonder what type of girl does he like, the shy girls, smart girls … wait a minute … there’s something wrong with this picture. I like him and he likes girls. What a bummer.

I walked over to Danny but he just looked down at the sheets, “Ms. Pilon said that maybe we should start with this.”

He handed me a worksheet. I looked at it then handed it back to him, “This is too easy.” It sounded mean, but it really was easy, it was a vocabulary list.

I walked over to the bookshelf where Ms. Pilon kept the class set of the book they were reading in class, took one and handed it to him. “Here, This is we’re reading in class, Hamlet. Act 1 Scene I. please.”

Danny took the book from my hand and looked at it, “What?”

“Read from it, Act 1 Scene I.” Danny took a seat and looked at me still confused. I sighed, walked over to look out the window, “It’s our homework, might as well get a heads start on it,” I paused to look back at him, “Besides I wanna know what reading level you’re at.”

Danny nodded before opening up the book.

“FRANCISCO
Nay, answer me: stand, and unfold yourself.

BERNARDO
Long live the king!

FRANSISCO
Bernardo?

BERNARDO
He.

FRANSISCO
You come most carefully upon your hour.

BERNARDO
Tis now struck twelve; get thy-” Danny read but I interrupted him, “Thee.”

“Yeah, that,” Danny replied before taking a pause. “You know, this is hard to understand, I doubt anyone in the class even know what they are talking about-”

“You think so?” I asked walking over to take a seat next to him.

I pointed to the book so that he could follow as I spoke,
“BERNARDO
Tis now struck twelve; get thee to bed, Francisco.

FRANSISCO
For this relief much thanks: ‘its bitter cold,
And I am sick at heart-”

He startled me, “You memorized the lines from the book!?”

I smiled at him, “No… well yeah but it took me a while, I had to read the book over and over until …” I like him; it was hard to be meant to him.

I took the book from him and opened it in front of him, “What I mean is that I don’t expect you to understand what you read for the first time. Here try this…”

It took me a while to get him to understand what we were supposed to read for homework, but I managed to get him to understand. He wasn’t as dumb as I expected him to be.

As we were putting away the materials we utilized, Danny cleared his throat causing me to look up at him. “Max, right…”

“Yeah,” I replied pulling up my hair into a loose ponytail.

“About the other day, I-”

I shook my head and forced a smile on my face, “Oh no, don’t worry about it, I understand.” Danny wanted to say something, but I wasn’t going to let him feel sorry for me, “I know, you don’t want to be my friend and it’s ok, I could care less.”

I waved at him goodbye and left him there … lost.

And that made me angry. I wanted to be his friend and I didn’t want to be his friend. I wanted him to hurt like I was hurt. It was selfish of me to feel that way but I could help it wan’t angry at him, I was angry at Mr. Pilon but I was taking it out on him…

We all have these moments right, when something goes wrong and we blame everything else when it was our fault from the start …