Status: coming soon.

According to Him

03

"Mom! Dad! I'm home!" I called as I walked into our family house in Minnetonka, Minnesota, a suburb that housed the richest and snootiest of the North Star State, of course minus my family.

"Kara?" My mom called, coming into the entry way, her arms already open to warp around her baby girl. "Welcome home!" She exclaimed, pulling away to kiss my cheek softly. She looked behind me at Patrick, smiling extra wide at my boyfriend of a year and a couple months. "Patrick, always a pleasure to see you," she winked, tugging him into a hug. I smiled as Patrick faked a suffocating face, before he wrapped an arm around my mom's shoulder.

"Did you make me dinner?" He asked, bluntly, smiling down at her as she shook her head yes.

"Of course I did," she smiled, leading him to the kitchen and letting me trail behind. I walked along the hallway of my family home, smiling at all the pictures that hung on the walls of my brothers and I when we were little. I giggled at the picture of us all in ugly red sweaters that my mom stuffed us into, my two brothers dressed in hockey gear while I stood there in a skirt, looking pretty.

"Gee, what happened to you?" Patrick asked me, surprising me by coming behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist. I looked back at him, rolling my eyes at him.

"I got cuter." I teased him, running my hands up his neck to tangle in the curls at the base of his neck. "I can't believe she didn't notice it," I murmured to him, talking about the huge ring that was fixated on my left ring finger.

"When it happens, remind me to have ear plugs on handy," he smirked, kissing my cheek before scooting me into the kitchen, slapping my butt playfully.

"Behave."

"Impossible," he grinned at me as we walked to the dinning room where my mom was setting out dinner.

My step dad walked into the room, smiling upon seeing me and pulling me into a big bear hug. It suffocated me, but in the good way, the type of hug that makes you feel special when you pull away. He moved on to Patrick, slapping him on the back hard as Patrick beamed up at him.

"It's been awhile Patrick." He let out a belly chuckle, sitting down at the table and grabbing a piece of the lasagna my mom had just set onto the table. My mom laughed and we shared an eye roll as Patrick followed me. I reached for the salad first, knowing the proper way to eat my food. My mom's eyes found the ring that she really should have seen before then, gasping and dropping the basket of bread.

"Kara Kathryn Hillie, what is on your finger!?" She exclaimed, moving towards me and grabbing my hand.

"Surprise," I smiled up at her as tears of joy flowed down her face.

"Oh Kara." She pulled me up and into a tight motherly hug, placing a kiss on my cheek. "I always hoped it would be him."

"Me too, mom. Me too." I told her honestly as Patrick and my dad shook hands, Patrick's smile so bright, it lit up the room.

The next day, after everyone had an opportunity to get over the initial shock, my mom sprang into action, having a wedding planner call my cellphone while Patrick and I were out to lunch. I felt weird, sitting across from Patrick, already discussing something that wouldn't take place until the summer months. But that was a short time away and weddings took a long time to plane. Truth was, Patrick and I wanted to get married in a small ceremony with only our families and closest friends attending.

"Um, I'm kind of busy, can I call you back later?" I asked the lady on the phone who's name was Emily.

"Sure, take your time." She assured me before we hung up.

"Who was that?" Patrick asked around bites of his pizza.

"A wedding planner." I told him, widening my eyes and mouthing a "mom" to him. He laughed and nodded.

"I love your mom, always on top of the ball." He nodded and grasped my left hand over the table top, squeezing it tightly, my ring digging into his skin.

"She's going to try and plan it like it's her own," I muttered to him, sighing and pushing my plate away from me, full of the delicious pizza.

"No she won't. It's your day, you do what you want."

"It's our day." I reminded him, standing up and leaning over the table to give him a kiss.

"Kara?" A voice from behind Patrick asked as I sat back down, glancing to the unknown- oh shit. My eyes widened as I took in the man standing behind Patrick. I never thought I would see him again. I thought he had moved down South after out break up, ran away from this state with his tail between his legs because I had five brothers who wanted his head. But he stood next to our table now, staring down at me with his mouth agape. "And Patrick Kane?" His face screwed up a bit, making him look even more like an idiot. He let out a loud, cynical laugh, mocking our relationship right in front of me.

"Yeah, what's it to you?" Patrick asked, looking from me to The Prick.

"There is no way someone like Patrick Kane is interested in you," he snorted, crossing his arms over his chest as he looked down at me. I felt small just like I always did when he was around. He hovered over me, making me feel absolutely worthless. I felt my chin tilting down to the ground as I played with the table cloth, his words poisoning my mind.

"What the hell?" Patrick asked, his face getting angry as he realized who was standing in front of us. He could tell from my immediate reaction, cowering into myself because it was safe there. "You need to leave."

"No, you need to get out of this relationship. She is boring as hell, and you could have any girl in Chicago, yet, you found her?" He asked, another mocking laugh spurting from his lips.

"Fuck you," I muttered under my breath, wishing I had enough courage to stand up and let him have it. Tell him how much of an asshole he was, how he never deserved me, and Patrick was more of a man than he would ever be. But Patrick came to my defense, being there for me when I couldn't be there for myself.

"Shut the fuck up. You have absolutely no idea how incredible Kara is. She is everything any smart guy would want in a moron. And I'm glad I finally get to meet the prick who was stupid enough to let her go. I'm going to marry her. So thank you for being an absolute dumbass." Patrick smirked at him, snorting as he looked The Prick up and down, seeing how he had a solid pack of muscle and The Prick was all talk.

"The only thing extraordinary about Kara is her body," The Prick exclaimed to Patrick who pushed himself out of his chair in one second after that, grabbing him by the collar of his shirt and carrying him out of the restaurant. I yelped and jumped up, running after my fiance and my ex-boyfriend, desperate to get Patrick to calm down. By the time I had made it through the onlookers and gawkers, Patrick was raising his fist. I ran the rest of the way there, grabbing his middle and positioning myself in between the two men.

"He is not worth it, Patrick. You cant be plastered all over the news again. Don't do it. You have everything to lose."

"Kara, this prick needs to be taught a lesson. No one talks about my baby like that." He growled, his teeth baring at The Prick as he cowered behind me for once. I stepped aside, sure that Patrick was calm enough. I shouldn't have done that. The second I was out of his way, Patrick swung, clipping The Prick right in his jaw, making him fall to the concrete like a piano. He then proceeded to lean down, grabbing the collar of his shirt and snapping at him,"get the fuck out of here."

"Pat," I whispered once my ex had scurried away, running down the street without looking back. I examined his knuckles, happy to see that they didn't look anymore torn up than they usually were.

"Kara?" He asked, seeing the sad look on my face. "Baby?" He asked once again, cupping my face in his cheeks. But I just shook my head, walking past him and letting him follow me where ever I decided to go. Despite the fact that I didn't want them too, the words my ex had spoken hurt. They sliced through my heart, opening up old wounds that I didn't want to revisit. They made me feel things I never wanted to feel again, like I was worthless, and not good enough to be loved my someone. It was disgusting to me that someone like him had that kind of power over me.

I found a park, equipped with a swing set and slide, making my way to the swings as Patrick took the swing next to me, his eyes never leaving my face. I looked down at my purple Nikes sighing softly as I stared at the beautiful ring on my left had ring finger. I shook my head and ignored Patrick as he reached out for me, instead pumping my legs and making myself start to swing. I reached for the sky, letting my hair fly out in the wind, fluttering out as I leaned back, looking into the grey, wintry sky.

"He's right Patrick. What does a guy like you see in a girl like me? I'm so not what you should be with." I sniffled softly as Patrick stopped swinging, grabbing the ropes of mine and pulling me to a stop.

"Oh really? Then what's my type, boo? Who am I supposed to be with?" He challenged me, his eyebrows cocked in expectation. "Some girl with bleached blonde hair who wants me for my money?" He chuckled softly, shaking his head at my obvious ignorance. "Kara, doesn't this show you anything?" He lifted up my bracelet to see, the sun making prisms of light bounce off the shining silver. "This means I love you." He whispered to me, leaning in close to kiss the tip of my nose, "this means I love you." His lips found my cheeks and my eyelids, kissing them softly, before placing them on mine. "And all of those mean I love you."

I shook my head at him, murmuring how much I loved him as he pulled me from his swing and to his, letting me sit on his lap. I nuzzled my nose with his before kissing the tip of his nose. "I can't wait to be Mrs. Patrick Kane," I whispered to him, listening to his heartbeat.

"I can't either, Kara."
***

"I can't believe you're getting married," Brianna sobbed dramatically, throwing herself onto the love seat that was located in my changing room. I rolled my eyes at her, snapping my fingers and telling her to get up here.

"Brianna, help me with this," I told her, pointing to my veil.

"Why am I your bitch?" She complained, picking herself up and straightening out her lavender dress.

"Because you're my MOH. And if you don't pick your game up, you're being demoted for Jess," I told her, pointing to the other brunette in the room with me who was obviously texting her boyfriend Jonathan Toews.

"Jonny said Kaner is tweaking," Jess giggled, showing my the message.

"Why? Forgot his vows?" I teased. Jess and Bri laughed as we fixed my dress so that it hugged my perfectly. It was a beautiful strapless number with a long train and extravagant beading down the sides and along the bust. It was my dream dress and I fell in love with it the moment I saw it.

I smiled at my reflection, my hair, curled to perfection and fluttering about my face, framing it nicely. I felt and looked more beautiful than I had in my entire life. I bit my lip and looked at my two best friends as they filed out of the room to give me one more moment alone. I didn't need it though, all I wanted to do was walk down the aisle. I took a deep breath and grabbed my bouquet of pink and white alstroemerias, taking a deep breath and opening the door to walk down the hallway. My heels clicked against the floor as I took the last moments to myself, reflecting on Patrick and my future.

"You ready, baby girl?" My dad asked me as the wedding march began. I grinned at him, nodding my head and adjusting the coat of his tux. Tears lined his hazel eyes as they sparkled with joy and dread, not wanting to give his baby girl away today.

"I've never been more ready," I assured him, squeezing his arm as the doors opened, revealing the church, decked out in light pinks and purples and white. My eyes found the baby blues that had taken my breath away the first time I saw him. He looked back at me, his jaw slacked as his eyes shone with love. I could see how nervous he was, licking his lips as I walked closer and sucking in a deep breath. I wished my dad wasn't pacing me, making me walk to the beat of the wedding march. I smiled at the small amount of people who had been invited briefly, my eyes needing to be connected with Patrick's.

We reached the alter, my dad turning me and giving me a tight squeeze. "I love you, pumpkin."

"I love you too daddy," I whispered, glancing at Patrick who already had his hand extended towards me, ready to lead me up the stairs to make me his wife.

"I'm only letting you marry her because you make her happy," my dad joked with Patrick, making him laugh and smile.

"She makes me happy, sir," Patrick nodded at him, taking my hand in his soft palm. I looked back at my dad, smiling sadly at how hard this was for him before placing a hand on his chest, pushing him back.

"Spoil her, that's what she deserves."

"I couldn't agree more," Patrick smiled at him, his eyes staying locked on mine. He squeezed my hand and looked at me, ignoring all the other people in the church beside me. "Are you ready?" He asked me, kissing my hand because he couldn't kiss me, not until the priest gave him the okay.

"Lead the way."
***

My hands gathered up the hair at the base of my neck, twirling it into a twist and then letting it fall around my face. I picked it up again, seeing how it would look in a high pony tail and the let it back down again. My reason for doing this wasn't because I wanted to check out the hair styles I could do with my hair. No, it was to distract me from the word pregnant, spelled out across a stick that I had peed on 9 minutes before this moment. I sighed, leaning my elbows against the counter and staring down at it again.

Pregnant.

I stuck my thumb nail in my mouth, chewing on it softly before grabbing the stick and exiting the bathroom. I walked down the stairs slow and quiet, heading into the living room where my husband was waiting for me to return from my bathroom break. I entered the room and he turned his head to look at me, his eyes glancing down to my hands where I held the white stick. I pursed my lips and stopped next to the couch, staring down at Patrick as he looked at me with a confused expression.

"What's wrong?" He wondered, getting ready to stand up. I held my hand up, halting him.

"You're going to want to stay sitting," I assured him.

He sat back down, his face set in a hard look. I bit my lip, sitting down next to him and curling my left leg under my body. I looked down at the word one more time, pressing my teeth harder into my flesh and then handing it to Patrick. He took it, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I watched his face intently, wondering what his reaction would be. His eyebrows lowered even more before they sprang up his forehead in surprise. He snapped his head to look at me, a huge grin spreading across his face.

"We're going to have a baby!?" He exclaimed, scooping me up and laying me down on the couch. I giggled and nodded, Patrick let out a loud yelp of approval before pressing his lips to mine. He slid his tongue in my mouth, ravishing me and caressing my hips with his hands. He squeezed my body a bit before releasing me and settling for a simple hug. His hands slid from my hips to my stomach, pressing lightly into it and letting his hands massage me a bit.

"I can't believe there's a person in there," I told him, watching as his fingers spread wide, covering my whole stomach.

"It's fascinating," He murmured, leaning down and placing a soft kiss against my belly. I giggled and squirmed against his lips.

"That tickles," I laughed.

His head hovered over mine again and he placed a kiss against my forehead. "I love you, Mrs. Kane," He murmured.

"I love you, too Patty," I whispered, closing my eyes and picturing our perfect little family.
***

I sighed and settled into my chair at the United Center, my eight and a half month pregnant body not wanting to settle into it. Patrick had suggested we get a suite but I wanted to be in the action, right there next to the other wives and girlfriends as playoff hockey entered the United Center. I ran my hands over my swollen belly, looking over at Brianna who was making faces at her and Brent's three month old. She was adorable and I only hoped my baby would look like that, girl or boy, I wanted a happy baby.

I felt a soft kick against the walls of my stomach right where my hands rested, the baby making it's presence known as Patrick and the rest of the Hawks entered the ice with a thundering applause. I clapped, opting to stay in my seat as the rest of the UC climbed to their feet. I let Brianna do the clapping for me and took the moment to pat my tummy to calm the baby.

The game began and I was on the edge of my seat, watching as the Hawks battled it out with the Detroit Red Wings. Patrick had the puck, flying down the ice with Jonathan Toews on his other side. They came down, two on one, passing back and forth before Patrick wound up, one timing the shot into the back of the net. I screamed loudly, clapping and trying to hobble to my feet to cheer for my husband. I looked up at the scoreboard, watching as he grinned at his teammates as they mobbed him, his mouth guard hanging out of my mouth just the way I hated it.

"Kara.." Brianna tapped me on the shoulder, looking down at the ground where I was standing.

"What?" I asked, following her glaze and seeing the pool of liquid at my feet. MY eyes got really wide and I looked up at the scoreboard, seeing it was only the end of the first period.

"Ohmygod. Oh no!" I exclaimed, holding my baby as it kicked and moved around. "Bri, what am I supposed to do?"

"Can you climb the stairs?" She asked, setting the baby in her carrier and grabbing my arm, shoving me to the stairs.

"I don't know?" I squeaked out, grabbing the railing and letting it hoist me up the stairs. I silently cursed how good our seats were as I slowly climbed stair after stair, as Brianna waved down the ticket takers who stood at the top of the section. Both her and the guy helped me up the stairs and to the elevator where I went downstairs, to where I wasn't sure.

"Where are we going?"

"To the training room," Brianna told me, gripping my hand tightly.

"That's in the locker room, where Patrick is. I don't want him to know. He has to finish the game!" I exclaimed, trying to stop but she kept tugging me along.

"Kara, you're about to change your mind when your contractions start."

"Oh shit. I forgot about those. Bri, I can't do this. I'm not mentally prepared!"

"You'll be just fine. If you need it, they'll give you the drugs."

"No! Those can paralyze you!" I whispered as the players filed out of the locker room, joking and shoving each other as they went onto the ice. Patrick was one of the last ones out of the locker room, conversing with Jonathan. His blue eyes locked on me and the way I was cradling my stomach, swerving so he was with me. He dropped his stick and gloves, grabbing my hand and placing his other one on my stomach.

"What's wrong?" He asked, a frantic look in his eyes.

"My water broke," I told him, watching as his eye widened and his mouth dropped open. He placed a quick kiss on my lips before he sprinted back into the locker room calling you a "stay there!" before the door swung shut. He was back in the hallway in three minutes, dressed in his suit with his shirt half buttoned and his tie wrapped around his neck like a scarf.

"Patrick, you have a game," I tried to tell him as we raced down the street, not having to go far before we arrived at the hospital.

"That doesn't matter. I'm about to be a dad!" He exclaimed, a huge grin on his face as he helped me form the car. I waddled next to him before he found me a wheel chair, bringing me to the nurses counter and checking me in.

When you walk in with Patrick Kane, you get quick service, I found out as I was settled into my bed, hooked up to the necessary machines and watching as the baby's heart beat fan across the screen. I was surprisingly calm as Patrick paced across the room from me, calling my parents and his parents.

"Patty, come here," I called to him, five hours later when I was in so much pain I could barely think. The cramps in my lower abdomen were so bad, that tears were falling down my face. I sniffed as he walked next to me, his hands on my stomach and kissing it softly. He grabbed a washcloth, letting the cool fabric try and sooth me. He leaned u and I grabbed a fist full of his shirt. "Get me drugs, now." I told him very sternly through my gritted teeth. "I can't do it without the drugs."

"Baby, I think it's too late, you're almost fully dilated," he told me cautiously, his hands brushing the sweaty strands of my hair away from my face.

"I want our baby, but this is going to kill me. I just know it," I sobbed out, Patrick's hands on my shoulders as he tried to calm me, soothing me as tears streamed down.

"I'm here, you'll be alright." He kissed my forehead as they began to prep me, the doctor settling in between my legs.

"Alright Kara, it's time to push. I'm going to count to ten and I need you to push as hard as you can for the ten seconds."

I nodded and I sat up, Patrick giving me a kiss on the cheek as I bit my lip hard, gripping his hand so that his fingers were turning white. He didn't complain though, just swallowed hard and took it like a man. The doctor looked up at me and nodded, starting her stupid count down. I pushed with everything I had in me, crying out as the pain stabbed at my lower abdomen. Patrick squeezed my hand softly in reassurance as we hit one, the doctor telling me to rest.

"You need to push harder," she told me.

"You push harder!" I snapped at her, "you think it's easy pushing a fucking watermelon out of an area that is that small! Ten centimeters is not enough!" I snapped at her, my frustration building the harder I pushed. She began her countdown again, ignoring my outburst.

The countdown happened four other times after that before a high pitched whine sounded through out the room as I laid back, my head hitting the pillow as Patrick tended to me, his lips on mine.

"You were so amazing baby girl. So amazing." He told me in between kisses. I pushed his face away turning to look at our new baby girl who was still wailing away, much to my dismay. I wanted her to stop, to tell her it was alright because she was here now and so was mommy and daddy.

"Give her to me," I whimpered, turning to my husband and asking him to do something.

"They are cleaning her and checking her out." He cooed softly, his eyes never leaving the table where they were cleaning off the newborn.

"Mr. and Mrs. Kane, I present to you, Baby Kane, 8 pounds 10 oz. Ten fingers, ten toes, and healthy as can be," the nurse murmured, handing the little girl to me. I wrapped my arms firmly but lightly around the pink bundle in my arms, tears streaming down my face at how perfect she was.

"Oh Patty," I breathed out, "look at our baby girl."

"She's beautiful, just like her mom," he mused to me, tears shining in his blue eyes.

"She has your eyes," I told him, watching as she struggled to open her blue orbs, her mouth opening to let out a soft cry. She took my breath away as her eyes finally fluttered open wide. I pursed my lips and looked up at Patrick who was wiping away tears.

"Yeah she does," he whispered, leaning down to kiss the little girl softly on the forehead. She closed her eyes as his lips pressed to her face, her hands struggling to reach for him. He grabbed her hands, letting them touch his face as I observed him, seeing the flashes of Daddy Patty and already enjoying them. "I love you." He murmured to her, kissing her hands and then moving to her feet, kissing them as well. "And I love you too. Thank you for giving her to me." He smiled down at me, our lips finding each other.

"We have to name her, daddy," I reminded him as he scooted over in the bed, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and letting me lean against him tiredly. Patrick's other arm wrapped under mine so we were both holding the little girl up.

"You pick, I'll be happy with anything as long as she's got my last name. I want the world to know she's mine." He kissed her softly again, not able to take his eyes on the little miracle in my arms.

"Blake Elizabeth Kane." I murmured as the nurse looked at me as if that was my final answer. I nodded to her and she grinned back at me, writing it down on a sheet of paper and walking towards me,

"We need to take baby Blake to the nursery so she can get a bath and can be monitored." I gave her a look that told her I definitely didn't want to let go, but Patrick rubbed my arms and kissed my neck, telling me to give her to them. I glared but obliged and watched as they wheeled my baby out of the room.

"You're still alive," Patrick pointed out later once I was all cleaned up and settle back into my room.

"Barely." I mumbled tiredly, my eyes sliding shut.

"You tired?" He asked me as I nodded. "You know they are going to bring the baby in soon." He reminded me as he settled into the bed next to me.

"You hold her and we'll all sleep together." I told him, cuddling into his side. I buried my nose in his ribs and wrinkling my nose. "Pat you stink."

"I didn't have time to shower," he rolled his eyes at me, his fingers running through my soft hair.

"I'm teasing," I told him as the nurse knocked on the door, baby Blake in her little cart. "Oh," I breathed out as Patrick scooped her up, bringing her into his arms and settling back into the bed. I laid my head on the left side of his chest, my fingers trailing over the impossibly soft skin of her face. She slept soundly undisturbed by both of her parents as they fawned over her.

"I never thought I could be this happy," Patrick whispered to me as I drifted in and out of sleep, the baby holding my finger in her soft grip. "Kara, sleep." He demanded quietly, "she'll be here when you wake up."

I nodded and let myself sleep, slipping into a dreamless sleep because I didn't need to dream anymore, I already had everything I ever dreamed of. A husband who completely adores me and a beautiful baby girl who was already my whole world. I was surrounded by love, and I silently thanked The Prick for letting me go, so that I could meet Patrick, falling love with someone who actually cares about me, and bring a baby into this world who would only brighten mine and Patrick's life. I used to think it was my lose when it ended, but now I knew, it was most definitely my gain.
♠ ♠ ♠
[size250] The End!
This was for Kara. Who is an amazing writer and one of my very good friends on here :D
This is for the 2 stories she wrote me that I have loved. I hope this made you as happy as your stories have made me :D
Comment. tell me what you think!
<3333 you boo!