Sequel: Love By Our Side
Status: completed

Everything's Changing Now

hope i'm more than a cheap trick.

The next day at work, Sophie was tired but incredibly happy. She was wearing her new shirt and had a smile plastered on her face the whole day. Stephanie caught sight of this and raised an eyebrow, but had since learned to not ask questions, The two girls did their work in silence, only speaking when needed. Sophie hadn’t told Stephanie that she and Stephen were together yet, and she wasn’t sure if she wanted to. Seeing as there were only three more days of work and only three more times she had to see Stephanie, Sophie gave in and brought up the subject.

“Stephen and I are dating,” she spoke suddenly.

“Really? That’s awesome!” Stephanie replied, a bit shocked. “I knew you guys would, it was just a matter of time. He’s a really great guy, you know.”

“Yeah, I’ve been able to tell. Neither of you has really talked about the other much, though, were you guys friends?” Sophie asked, curiously.

“Not really. I hung out with Leigh sometimes, and he would tag along every once in awhile. I don’t talk to her anymore though, she’s a bitch,” Stephanie stated, in a much calmer tone than usual. “Stephen really loved her, anyone could tell that, he did everything for her. Leigh treated him like shit and cheated on him all the time-I don’t know if he knew that or if I should have told you, oops-but he was always there, willing to do whatever she wanted to.”

Sophie was taken aback by Stephanie’s account of her boyfriend’s previous relationship. He hadn’t mentioned anything about Leigh cheating on him, neither had anyone else, so she wondered if he knew. She was also surprised that one of Leigh’s former friends had the same input about her as people that hated her did. She had no idea why Stephen stayed with her for so long, or how he couldn’t see what a bad person Leigh must have been. She knew that people got “blinded by love” but Stephen didn’t seem like the kind of guy to let a girl use him like that. She shook her head and continued with her work, trying to push the thoughts away.
---------------------------------
When she got off, Sophie met Stephen at Chili’s for dinner that night. She decided to ask him about Leigh, even though she knew it would be a sour subject and likely put him in a bad mood. He had a right to know the way someone he supposedly loved treated him.

“Stephanie told me something interesting today,” Sophie stated, almost sullenly.

“Oh yeah? Enlighten me,” Stephen responded, a bit amused.

“I told her that we started dating, and she told me what a great guy you are yada yada. Then she told me something quite interesting about Leigh that I hadn’t heard mentioned before, so I figured I’d ask you about it,” she replied. Fidgeting, and unsure how to begin, Sophie let her last sentence linger before continuing. “Stephanie told me that Leigh cheated on you. A lot. Did you know that?” Stephen looked down, not wanting to make eye contact. Sophie instantly regretted what she just said, but knew it had to be done.

“I mean, I knew that she did a few times. I was an idiot for taking her back, I know. Did Stephanie say how many times “a lot” was?” Stephen asked, still barely looking at Sophie.

“No. She said that Leigh and her don’t speak anymore, though, and part of the reason is because of how Leigh treated you. I really shouldn’t have said anything, I was just wondering. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, it’s not your fault I fell for a whore. I’d rather not know how many other guys she’s slept with, it’s better to leave it at that,” Stephen showed a small smile before returning to his meal. After what he’d just been told, he was sure that his relationship with Leigh had been a sham, but was even more sure that he was falling for Sophie.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's coming to an end, and I'm actually quite sad about it!