Utopia

The Raven

He wasn't looking forward to this particular meeting. Because of the time taken getting the young sorceresses to the infirmary and their own wounds, Raven had decided to postpone their meeting until after classes. That just made things worse for Stephen. It meant he got to think about it. He had to brood and wonder what was lying in wait for him. It wasn't a pleasant feeling. He hadn't had this kind of sensation since the last time he had been rebuked by his commander as a human. That had been a long time and it wasn't a pleasant feeling. He didn't miss it he decided. He had to put up with it though. Stephen took a deep breath as he stood before the office. He had knocked, now he had to wait more. Stupid Raven and all this waiting.

"Come in!" A voice snapped inside. Stephen took another deep breath and walked inside. "Sit," the order was curt and not to be disobeyed. Stephen sat in the single straight-backed chair that sat in front of the man's desk. "You did well today Stephen. It can be hard to act on an instant's notice without hesitating. Many struggle with it and that is why either they or their charge are lost to us. You and the others did not hesitate though. For that, I am very proud of all of you. But how you handled the situation was not pleasing."

Stephen was taken aback. First he was praised and now he had messed everything up? He wondered how anyone understood this man. "Sir? I don't believe that I understand what you mean. I did what I could to protect my charge. Isn't that the duty that we have been given?" He said standing up and holding his head high.

Raven rolled his eyes and stood up. "Sit down," he snapped moving around his desk. Stephen didn't listen this time and was rewarded with a shove in his shoulder which sent him back to his seat with the knowledge that was going to be sore for a while due to his landing. The seat had no padding after all. "You need to learn to control your powers before you use them." Raven said as he began pacing. "You don't just go around thinking you can do anything you want with them. Tendrils of fire began to appear floating around Stephen. He froze at the sight of them. Darkness began creeping up from the floor. It seemed solid as it wrapped around him binding him to the chair.

"What that hell?!" Stephen demanded furious and afraid.

"Shut up and listen," Raven snapped stopping in front of the young man. "As a guardian angel we must have better control over the elements we use than our charges do over theirs. We can't just them haphazardly. All around you in the air is water. Even when there is fire, there is moisture somewhere or you wouldn't be able to breath to think. You have to learn to manipulate your surrounds to work for you, not just ruin every little thing. What you did was acceptable because you saved your charge, but pull that kind of stunt on the outside and you risk exposing us all. Is that understood?" The question came out as a hiss.

Stephen stared straight ahead at nothing gritting his teeth. "Yessir," he hissed through his clenched teeth.

Raven nodded curtly. The fire and darkness disappeared instantly leaving Stephen slumping forward. "You are dismissed."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooo! Exciting chapter! What will happen next? Comments? Subscriptions? We always love to hear what you guys are thinking!