Unlucky in Love

Wish

“Can I have my present now?” I asked Dominic when we were walking out of the restaurant. I pulled the hood up on Emma’s jacket before walking out into the rain.

“Dinner was your present!” he argued. “I wasn’t expecting you to get filet mignon, so that kind of blew my budget.”

I narrowed my eyes and stole the keys from him. He took Emma and put her into her car seat and I got into the driver’s seat. Dominic had gotten a little less apprehensive about me driving, but it’s not like he was going to argue with me on my birthday.

Dominic turned the heater up and I got out to the street and down to the exit for 205 North. “I think you should really press charges, Em.” He said seriously.

I sighed. “Dominic, I’m fine. There’s just a bruise. I just don’t see the point in having her sent to jail for this.” I said rationally.

“I just don’t understand why you couldn’t go and file the charges.”

“Well, Dominic,” I started snippily. “When you’re in pain and your daughter is being held by a stranger and screaming her head off, and you can barely think about anything but going home and going to sleep, it’s not so easy to think about what would be the most logical thing. I just did the thing that would let me go home and forget this shit had happened.”

He didn’t reply, and we rode home in silence. Emma was singing to herself from the backseat, her voice matching the pelting rain in intensity. When we pulled up to the house, I parked in the driveway, took Emma, and went inside.

I went upstairs and set my bag down, and then went into the main bathroom and started a shallow, warm bath for Emma.

“Emma, honey, I can’t wait till you can bathe yourself.” I told her, and she looked up at me with her sparkly blue eyes and pouty expression. When she was all done, I picked her up with her pink Barbie towel—that Auntie Daveigh had gotten her—and wrapped her around it. I got up and carried her to her room, and dressed her in Sleeping Beauty footed pajamas. I set her in her crib and lay her down, putting her soft, fuzzy pink blanket around her.

“Mumma!” she complained.

I sighed, knowing she wanted me to read to her. I had started it about a month ago, and now she was relentless about it.

I grabbed the Sleeping Beauty book off of her shelf and sat down in the chair next to her bed. I cleared my throat and began to read.

“Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there lived a kind king and a gentle queen. For many years, they longed to have a child. Finally, their wish was granted. King Stefan and his queen were overjoyed when their daughter was born. They named her Aurora, which meant ‘Dawn,’ because she brightened their lives with happiness just as the sun brightens the day. A grand celebration was announced. People traveled from far and wide to bring gifts to the new princess.”

Emma was trying hard to keep her eyes open, and I knew I had about another page to read before she zonked out.

“Among the honored guests were King Hubert, who ruled a neighboring kingdom, and his young son, Prince Phillip. King Hubert was King Stefan’s most trusted friend. For many years, the two kings had wished to unite their kingdoms. That evening, they planned to announce that the prince and princess would marry one day, making this dream come true.”

Just like Mommy and Daddy, I thought bitterly.

She was almost there, so I skipped to the second to the last page.

“Then everyone else in the kingdom awoke, including King Stefan and the queen. In the throne room, a trumpet sounded. All eyes focused on the top of the grand stairway. Prince Phillip and Princess Aurora appeared arm in arm, beaming with joy. As the young couple walked toward the throne, the princess saw her long-lost parents and rushed joyfully into their arms.” I took a breath before turning to the last page. “Soon, the court musicians began to play, and Prince Phillip whisked the princess away. As the whole palace court watched, Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip danced in each other’s arms.”

Emma’s chest rose and fell evenly, and I smiled and bent to kiss her forehead lightly and adjust the blanket on her.

I left her room and closed the door quietly behind me. I went to my room and plopped down on my bed. All that was on my mind was going to sleep, but I had a feeling that wouldn’t happen anytime soon.

Dominic came in and I looked up at him. He was holding a generic brown bag and a big cupcake with pink frosting and a lit candle in it. I sat up immediately and couldn’t contain my smile. “Are those for me?” I asked, gushing sarcastically.

He scoffed and held the cupcake in front of me. I closed my eyes and thought for a moment. What did I want?

Did I want world peace?

Did I want a new car?

I knew what I wanted more than anything, something that would make our little family complete.

I opened my eyes and blew out the single candle, sending my silent prayer into the universe. I took the cupcake and set it on the nightstand, not wanting it yet.

“What’s in the bag?”

“Do you really want to know?” he asked, and I narrowed my eyes at him. Dominic tossed the bag to me, and I tipped it over. A turquoise box fell out, all fancy and tied with ribbon.

I gawked as soon as I realized what the box was. “This better not be a key chain,” I warned, and then opened the Tiffany’s box. Inside was a pearl bracelet, one that probably cost a few hundred dollars. “It’s so pretty.” Was all I could say to the gorgeous double-stranded pearl bracelet.

Dominic took it out and clipped it to my right wrist, and I turned my wrist at every angle to see it.

So…I kind of take back what I had said. I guess I did want a materialistic present.

“What did you wish for?” he asked, picking up the cupcake. He took a bit of the frosting off with his finger and licked it.

“Well, I can’t tell you because it won’t come true.” I said matter-of-factly. “But if it does come true, you’ll find out soon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you guess think she wished for???

Comment! Comment! Comment!