Dead in the Water

Welcome To The Club

Pete led me down some stairs and then into a living room of sorts. Sitting on one of the two couches were two of the guys I saw with Pete, and I am guessing their girlfriends with them. On the other couch was Patrick and his girlfriend, I assumed.

“Ah, she is awake.” Patrick replied with a smile getting up to come greet me. “Hi, I am Patrick.” He said extending his hand. I somewhat just looked at him for a second and then looked at Pete who gave me a nod. Then, I shook his hand.

“It is nice to know that you are still breathing, Patrick. I am Elissa.” I said as he gave me a weird look.

“She hasn’t been around friends in awhile.” Pete said shrugging his shoulders.

“Hi! Thank you so much for saving my love.” The girl who was sitting beside Patrick said as she approached me and began to give me a hug.

“I don’t hug.” I said stepping back some. It is hard being a loner. After I left Micah and his friends, I try not to be that social with humans anymore. I don’t want to get close and then have to leave again for their safety.

“Well, we are going to have to change that, aren’t we? My name is Jenny.” She replied.

“And this is Joe and his girlfriend, Nonnie, over on the right side of the couch.” Pete said walking us over closer to the couch. Joe smiled and nodded his head and Nonnie waved.

“Over on the left here, is Andy and his girlfriend, Chrissy sitting on his lap.” Pete replied.

“Hi. I’m Elissa.” I said. “It is nice to meet you.” I smiled.

“The girls know about us?” I said turning towards Pete and whispering to him.

“Yes. Sometimes they fight with us. They know the risks.” Pete replied.

When Pete said that they knew the risks my mind flashed back to a time I try to forget. I heard Micah’s voice echo in my head. “Anna!”

“Elissa, are you ok?” Pete said gently shaking me and getting me out of my daze.

“Oh, yeah, I’m fine.” I replied.

“So how long have you been a vampire and are there more of you? Pete only knows you, now, and Adam which I am sure that you already know.” Patrick said as he sat back down on the other couch with Jenny beside him. Pete motioned for me to sit in the recliner.

“Yes. There are more good vampires. I can sense who is good and who is bad.” I said. Pete’s friends were all being nice and accepting. It felt good to be talking to people again and not feel alone for a bit.

“Pete can’t do that.” Andy said which had everyone laughing.

“That’s it. Laugh it up.” Pete said rolling his eyes.

We talked some more up into the early morning hours. I let the gang know only what I wanted them to know. They had accepted me into their group and it felt nice.

Everyone was starting to retreat to bed. Pete looked at me from where he was sitting. I looked at my watch to notice that I did not have enough time to get back to my place.

“I noticed what time it is too. We have an extra bedroom with no windows.” Pete said making it sound tempting.

“You would like it if I stayed here, wouldn’t you.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Maybe I am fascinated with you. Maybe I want to know more about you, Elissa.” Pete said getting up and walking over to me.

He extended his hand out to me and I took it as he pulled me up out of my chair. “We can chat and train after we get some sleep.” He said showing me to the place I would be sleeping in.

“Thank you, Pete, for trusting me. And, I don’t know, making me apart of your group.” I said smiling.

We stopped at the door of the extra bedroom and he flipped the light switch on. My room is next to yours; the one you woke up in earlier. So if you need anything, just let me know.” Pete replied turning to leave.

“Pete, wait.” I said with him stopping.

“Yes?” He said spinning back around.

“Night.” I said as I kissed his cheek and then walked into the bedroom. I think I saw him grin as I shut the door.