Dead in the Water

I Will Find You Love

I dreamed all morning long. I tossed and I turned. I woke up several times but fell back to sleep. Every dream was the same as the last except the latest dream.

“I will find you, Elissa.” Ian would say.

“No, you won’t. I won’t let you this time.” I replied.

“Ah, but I can find you through your new friends I am sure you have made.” He snickered behind me.

“I don’t have any friends. I work alone now.” I said as he touched my neck from behind me.

“We would make such a lovely pair together. Why do you fight me? You know you love me and only me.” Ian said.

“You are sick and delusional. I hate you.” I said not able to move. Somehow, Ian always had a hold over me. I wanted to break that hold but I did not know how.

“That is not what you said when we dated.” Ian laughed.

“That was before you turned me into something that I hate.” I said.

“No matter, you will come to me if I can’t find you. Your family has been no importance to me because they all think you are dead but I can make them useful in snuffing you out if I have to.” Ian laughed again so cold in his voice.

“You wouldn’t dare!” I said finally breaking free a bit from his hold and turning towards him with fire in my eyes.

“Easy there. We wouldn’t want you hurting yourself in your own dream.” Ian said grabbing my arm as I tried to attack him.

“Soon.” He said kissing me.

I broke away to see an image of me lying on a cold floor dead. I screamed. Ian disappeared.

“Elissa, what is it?” Pete said shaking me as I woke up screaming and fighting at him.

“It’s him. He won’t leave me alone.” I said sobbing as Pete held me in his arms once I realized where I was again.

“Shh. Everything is going to be all right. Elissa, I promise, nothing will harm you.” Pete said trying to comfort me. Somehow, part of me believed him.

I looked up at him and he began to wipe away my tears. I stared into his eyes filled with care and concern. “Elissa, has anyone ever told you that you have the most gorgeous green eyes?” Pete said trying to make me smile.

“Not in a long time.” I replied.

“Good.” He said leaning in to kiss me.

What is, this warmth I am feeling? Am I letting myself get too close to Pete? Is he my protector?

“Pete.” I mumbled.

“You know what, I am sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.” He said breaking away from me.

“Maybe you shouldn’t but I am ok with it.” I said giving in.

“Come on.” He said leading me to his room.