Dead in the Water

The Truth Hurts Worse

(Pete's POV)

"Three...Two...One." She yawned and then she was silent.

"Amanda? Amanda." I said making sure she was out of it. She really wasn't asleep but in a relaxed state. All she had to do was not let go of my hand and listen to the sound of my voice. We would get to the bottom of her problem.

"Amanda, I am going to get into your thoughts now and I want you to think of some times where you and Martin were alone." I said.

I got into Amanda's thoughts and her mind wandered to some memories. The first memory that she brought me too wasn't about her and Martin at first. It was a dream she had. It involved death and that death was her.

She had Ian in her dreams and he killed her. She has had this dream on more then one occasion but this one was different. Here, she learned that it was her, Ian was after and not exactly Elissa as she originally thought. This dreamed scared her more then the others.

Her next memory was of her waking up from the dream and Martin comforting her. She had snuggled close to him and then she felt two puncture marks in her neck. This was the first time he had bitten her without clearing it through her first. She had fallen asleep thanks to him and when she awoke she felt refreshed and didn't remember a thing but now thanks to me, I can bring those forgotten memories to the surface, for they are not forgotten just buried.

Amanda started to move and felt uneasy. She wanted to pull her hand away from mine as if this was an uneasy thing for her to see. I grabbed it tighter and she finally relaxed some, moving on to the next thing I could pry out of her.

The next thing her unconcious level brought me to was of the next morning she had woken refreshed. She had a nightmare that Martin had not woken up. He was dead, beside her. I wondered why she had never mentioned this to me or anyone before. Maybe this started her uneasy feeling that something was off about Martin.

The next memory I had was of Amanda and Martin out after making Nonnie upset. Martin was trying to tell Amanda something but never got to tell her because he was hit by a car and the driver was Ian. I saw a lot of things.

The most recent one that involved her and Martin was last night after the Ian incident. She recieved a note left by Ian. Two weeks. Interesting. I am sure this is what Elissa and her discussed this morning when I found Elissa missing when I awoke. She told me she was with Amanda but didn't tell me why.

The next thing she flashed to was heading back to the bedroom with Martin. She looked worried but was trying to hide it. Martin asked her what was wrong but she lied and said she was tired.

"It's late." Amanda replied. "I should probably try and get some sleep. I need to see Nonnie and apologize in the morning."

"Amanda, before you crawl in bed, I have something I need to tell you." Martin said.

"Oh?"

"You have been feeling stronger, right?" Martin asked.

"Yeah. It's all thanks to you. You have a way with me." Amanda said smiling.

"Amanda, the reason you are well is because..." He paused.

"Can we talk later?" She yawned. "I really am tired." She said.

"Look at me." He said grabbing her shoulder. "You know I love you, right?" He asked.

"Yes." Amanda said in a trance.

"I have to do this to make you stay strong. Please forgive me. You will not remember this as you haven't remembered all the other nights I made you forget. I have to bite you to make you live. I know you won't understand now but when the time comes you will remember. I am willing you my life basically. I am giving you my strength for you to live which means I will die." Martin said as he looked into her eyes and lifted her chin.

"I am sorry. I do love you but you need to live. I am just a monster but it is my job to protect you." Martin said biting Amanda.

"No!" Martin!" Amanda said breaking our connection by letting go of my hand. I had to think fast.

I know she is not under my control but maybe I can focus hard and persuade her. I can't bite her. It would only make things worse.

"Amanda." I said snapping my fingers.

"Did he..?" Amanda said sitting up.

"Amanda, look at me. You trust me, right?" I asked. She nodded.

"Martin is going to be fine. Repeat after me." I said as our eyes were locked. I had her.

"Martin is going to be fine." She said.

"You will not remember any of this. You came here because you thought that Martin had bit you and I found that it was not a severe bite just an accidental one he did in his sleep." I said lying.

"I came here because I was worried about...Martin." She said. It wasn't what I wanted her to repeat but I think she would be fine. I snapped my fingers again and she came out of her trance.

"So he was dreaming and I guess rolled over close to me?" Amanda blinked.

"Yeah, that was it." I said.

"So I was worried for nothing. Can it happen again?" She asked.

"Probably not. I think it was just a one time deal. He just had a bad dream or something." I lied again.

"Oh. Well, I think I am tired. I am going to change." Amanda said getting up and heading into the bathroom.

I can't tell her that she is going to lose Martin eventually. It would crush her. The truth hurts worse then anything I could bring myself to do. He is keeping her alive and slowly losing his life. I just hope she figures it out on her own soon then having to hear it from me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you think Amanda will remember on her own soon?
Do you think Pete will crack and tell her?