Dead in the Water

I'll Keep The Meter Running

“Pete, my sis gave you her cell phone number on the way to her apartment, right?” I asked as Joe, me, and Pete signaled for a taxi.

“Yes.” Pete replied.

“Can I have it?” I asked as we got into a taxi Pete flagged down.

“I don’t know. She trusted me to have it.” He said whipping out his phone and playing with it.

“Pete!” I said reaching for his phone.

“Ok, ok. You can have it.” He said laughing.

I took out my phone and put Amanda’s number in it. Then I handed Pete back his phone as he had a huge cheesy grin on his face. “What?” I asked.

“Well, our date was ruined. We need to set a new date.” Pete said laughing at me.

“How was I to know I would find my sister here in L.A. who is a slayer I may add and that she was looking for me?” I asked.

“I am glad you found your sister, well that she found you. I am also glad her friend, Erelin is ok as well. That whole situation she explained on the way to her apartment about her being the next in line as a slayer is messed up.” Pete said pulling me closer to him.

“Yeah it is. I am not happy at all that my sister is a slayer or that Erelin which was my friend too at one time is going to be one if…” I stopped.

“Hey, we won’t let anything happen to them. Besides, I kind of like Amanda.” Pete said.

“Oh really.” I said elbowing him in the ribs.

“Hey.” He said laughing. “I like her because she reminds me of you. You both are stubborn.” He added kissing me.

“Keep it down lovebirds.” Joe said as the taxi pulled up to where I was staying.

“You are just jealous because Nonnie didn’t want to hang tonight.” Pete said rolling his eyes. I laughed.

Pete and I got out of the taxi and walked up to my place. Joe decided to wait in the taxi to make sure he had a ride home. I could agree with that.

“So this is your place.” He said walking around and checking out where I am staying once I let him in.

“It suits me ok.” I said. I was staying in the best suite of the hotel. I had a fridge, huge bathroom, living room, bedroom, and room service whenever I needed it. It reminded me of one of those huge celebrity suites at The Palms hotel and casino in Las Vegas.

“My place is cooler.” Pete whispered in my ear giving me goose bumps.

“Maybe I would stay there if we were able to date.” I said laughing.

“Who is this?” Pete asked picking up a photo I had on the coffee table in the living room.

“That is my mother.” I said taking it out of his hands and placing it back down on the table.

“You and Amanda look like her.” Pete said. “Where’s your dad?” Pete asked.

“I don’t know my father. He left mom when he learned she was pregnant with Elissa and me. I guess we both could have sought him out but we just decided not to. Mom raised us both. I miss her. Amanda said Mom won’t talk to her because of me.” I said sitting down.

“Elissa, maybe one day you can go and visit her. You have an ability you know. Vampires can erase memories. You could visit her and then…” Pete said before I cut him off.

“What erase it later? What would be the point in that? That is just cruel.” I said.

“Hear me out.” Pete said sitting beside me.

“Sorry.” I said.

“You could visit her, but protect her by erasing that memory if you feel she is in danger but leave the thought in her mind that you are safe and ok. Then, she might be happier, talk to Amanda, and start to live her life again.” Pete said.

“I guess you are right. I want to make sure I am safe from Ian for awhile before I decide to go back home.” I said looking at my hands.

“Hey, it is ok. If you want, I will even visit with you.” He said smiling.

“You would do that for me?” I asked.

“Of course.” He replied leaning in to kiss me.

“You better get. You do not want to keep Joe waiting. I am sure he wants to see Non now.” I said laughing.

“Yeah, and taxis aren’t cheap.” He said getting up to leave.

“Call me tomorrow?” I asked.

“Maybe even a visit.” He said before letting himself out.

I cannot believe I found a really, swell guy. Where was he when I was dating Ian? Now, in the morning after I sleep and have my breakfast, I need to call Amanda and find out why exactly she has two puncture marks on her neck from Micah.