Caught in a Bad Romance

XX.

“Lena its 9 am what do you want?” Eugene’s tired voice said over the phone.

“Somewhere to lay low for the day and hopefully get dressed.” I mumbled as a car almost hit me while I crossed the street.

“Are you outside?” He asked now sounding more awake.

“Not naked so don’t get too excited, where are you?”

“You’ll never be able to get here walking, I’ll pick you up.”

“Okay, I’ll be at the café we went to.” I explained heading in the direction of the restaurant.

“See you in a few.” He told me hanging up as I walked.

I was waiting for maybe five minutes until a car honked at me I saw Eugene was behind the wheel.

“Love the outfit, very New Yorker walk of shame.” He commented as he saw my bare feet.

“Please, can we just go?” I whined covering my eyes from the sunlight.

“What heck happened to you?” He asked as he drove down the street.

“You honestly don’t even want to know.”

“So whom are you hiding from?”

“Well at the moment that list keeps getting updated.” I told him with a chuckle.

He drove me to where he was staying, which seemed to be like a rental apartment. They reminded me of the ones in Zadar that the tourists’ usually rent for the summer time.

“You want some breakfast?” He asked me.

“Can I shower first?” I asked not even wanting to imagine how dirty the bottoms of my feet were.

“Sure, bathrooms the third door.” He told me motioning to the hallway.

“Thanks.” I nodded as I headed down the hallway with my plastic bag in hand.

“You look like such a gypsy.” He chuckled at me.

After a shower and changing in to what I grabbed which let me tell you only I would manage to grab shorts, a sheer black tee shirt and humongous heels, only me. I tied my wet hair up in to a messy bun as I clanked out of the bathroom.

“I’m done even trying to understand you.” Eugene laughed, “Breakfast is ready.” He told me as I followed him in to the kitchen and sat across from him.

“This was what I grabbed as I dodged a Croatian footballer, much bigger than me.” I explained as I took a sip of the coffee.

“You look like crap.”

“I feel like crap, I think I only got an hour of sleep maybe two.”

“Did you and that Spaniard get in to a fight?”

“That started the evening, after that it was a down hill shit fest.” I explained and then went in to recapping everything to him while we ate.

“Jesus we set you lose in Kiev for a month and you’ve done what millions of women around the world only dream of doing.” He laughed.

“Gee thanks.” I groaned.

“Look Lena, honestly fuck them. What are they all to you hmm? Nothing, you need to come to terms that your life revolves around me.” He smirked.

“But now Niko’s going to be all like let’s talk about what happened.”

“And tell him it shouldn’t matter to him.”

“But to him it does cause he’s all like ‘oh you’re my best friend that I dated but it didn’t work
out, so now I’m happy I need to make sure you’re happy’” I grumbled trying to sound like
Niko.

“Aren’t you happy?”

“I will be, once I’m back in New York.” I yawned.

“What do you want to do today?” He asked me.

“Stay here, watch movies, and bake a cake anything that involves me not leaving here.” I ranted as my cell phone began ringing. “Ahhh!” I screeched, as I answered it.

“Where are you?” Luka asked me.

“With Eugene.”

“Stop being so fucking Vague with me Helena.”

“I’m spending the day with Eugene, how is that vague we’re going shopping.”

“What about the game?”

“You and Niko go, I don’t feel so up to that today.”

“Niko said he’s not mad at you.”

“I know he’s not mad at me, I only locked him in my room what’s there to be mad at?”

“He also says he won’t ask you about what happened.”

“That I find hard to believe.”

“Are you coming home tonight?”

“Most likely.”

“Are you getting dinner with us?”

“Not so likely.”

“Alright,” He sighed, “Listen tomorrow we have a huge team breakfast, the coaches, and
everyone is going to be there. Can I count on you to be there?” He asked.

“Of course,” I assured him.

“Alright, text me later Lena.” He told me as he hung up.

“I think I can almost understand you.” Eugene chuckled. “I never realized the similarities in the languages.” He laughed.

“Nap time?” I asked him, as I put the dishes in the sink.

“Sure, you can have my bed or the couch.” He told me.

I looked in at the really comfy looking couch, “I’ll take the couch.” I told him as I headed in and slipped my shoes off while he turned up the air conditioner. And with that I crashed hard on Eugene’s couch wrapped in a blanket and squished between the cushions. When I woke up to go to the bathroom it was already almost 5 in the evening. After I used the bathroom I went in to Eugene’s room to wake him up and see what he wanted to do tonight.

“I bet now you feel much better.” He smiled as he put an arm loosely around my shoulders.

“Much, much better.” I agreed.

“So how about we hang out here, and make dinner and tonight we go to a bar before I take you back to your hotel?”

“Sounds wonderful.” I nodded.

After spending a nice day of rest and relaxation I forgot one thing, going to a bar with Eugene usually meant one thing pre-gaming. What did I mean by that? After we ate dinner and I fixed my hair somewhat and managed to get some cheap eye make up, body spray and lip gloss from the pharmacy around the corner, we headed out to one of his friend’s apartments where we started drinking there until around 10 when we headed to the bar.

The bar was huge, what reminded me of a disco club. There was a DJ, and a dance floor and everyone was dancing, well everyone except me I was throwing shots down at the bar.

“Lena slow down.” Eugene scolded me coming up behind me as I took another one.

“I don’t dance, what else am I going to do?” I asked him.

“Hide from the guy that looks a hell of a lot like Niko?” He asked me as he looked away from me.

“What?” I exclaimed with wide eyes. “Where?” I asked, keeping my face to the bar.

“Approaching on the left, with a few guys.”

“Luka?”

“Negative.”

“Shit.” I mumbled, ordering a few more shots.

I moved my hair in my face, and kept silent as I drank with Eugene when the group of guys came a few people down.

“It’s definitely him.” Eugene whispered to me.

“Cover me.” I instructed, as we quickly ducked behind people and went to the dance floor.

The next few minutes Eugene and his friends attempted to teach me how to dance, which I’m sure would have worked if my blood were not of the alcohol per volume of a bottle of Vodka.

“You have it Lena!” Eugene’s friend told me while I danced with them.

“You have to tell me that to be nice.” I chuckled as I checked to see if the coast was clear at the bar.

It was then I felt someone come behind me and put an arm around me, I was startled at first because I saw Eugene was still next to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lena's outfit