Caught in a Bad Romance

XXII.

“I’m so proud of you both.” I told Luka and Niko that morning as they were heading out to the stadium.

“Thanks Lena.” They told me giving me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“I’ll see you at the stadium.” I told them as they left.

Eugene came with me to the game, and we actually had pretty good seats this time on the ground level. Believe it or not we both were decked out in Croatian jerseys. I was on the edge of my seat the entire game, cheering my brother and friends on. By half time the game was tied.

“Do you think they’re going to do it?” Eugene asked me while we headed to grab a beer.

“I’m praying that they do.” I said warily.

“I never thought optimism was your thing.” He chuckled.

“Usually it isn’t, in terms of football it is.” I laughed.

The rest of the game was close; it went in to over time, however in the last five minutes my brother scored the winning goal. And I jumped up screaming and crying that we finally had won.

“They did it!” Eugene and I shouted as we hugged and cheered.

After the game, I headed right to the locker room not caring, Eugene and I ran in and I hugged Luka.

“You did it! You did it!” I told him repeatedly in Croatian. “I’m so proud of you, I love you.” I told him hugging him tighter.

“Aww thanks Lena.” He laughed giving me a sloppy kiss on the cheek.

That night unfortunately there was no time to celebrate with my brother, they were on a flight back to Croatia and I back to New York. As I was making my way down to the lobby to get a cab, I ran in to Iker.

“Tell your brother congratulations.” Iker told me as I stopped to talk to him.

“I will, can I ask you something?”

“Yes?”

“Why did my personal life bother you so much? You have a girlfriend,”

“It’s just Cristiano-“ He began.

“No, fuck him, it’s you. You sent me mixed signals this whole month and never once told me you were dating someone.”

“Well that was your fault for reading me wrong.”

“I’m sure,” I nodded. “Have a safe flight back.” I added as I shook my head leaving the hotel.

The flight went quickly, probably because I had slept through most of it. I grabbed a cab back to my apartment and was greeted by Andrea attempting to make pancakes.

“I always wanted to come home to find my apartment on fire.” I mumbled dragging my suitcase in.

“Aww honey you’re back we missed you!” She shouted, we meaning herself and our goldfish.

“Yeah, yeah you’ll want me gone again in a week.” I joked as I brought my bag to my room.

So we sat and ate and caught up on everything, and that night we went out with some friends. A day later I was happily back at work with a show on my hands. And that pretty much was how the rest of the summer had went for me working non-stop and seeing friends. It was around the beginning of September when Luka gave me a call telling me he had good news.

“We’re coming to New York to play the red bulls!” Luka exclaimed on the phone.

“The who?”

“The New York soccer team.”

“They have one?” I asked confused.

“Yes, they have a whole league!”

“Seriously? Since when?”

“Doesn’t matter, anyway we’ll be in for three days, you better come out to the games.”

“How could I not?” I asked as he gave me the dates so I could request off from work.
“We’re going to a football game.” I announced to Andrea the next day.

“Giants or jets?” She asked me.

“Huh?” I asked dumbfounded. “The spurs.”

“That’s basketball silly, who are they playing the knicks?”

“What are you talking about? My brother’s team is playing some games here against the New York team.”

“Oh soccer you mean!” She said smacking her forehead. “Whoa got a little lost in translation there for a minute.” She chuckled.

“Anyway! You’re coming right?” I asked her.

“Duh, I’m totally down.”

“Good.” I smiled.

Two weeks later, I had my brother, Niko, and Vedran in my apartment for dinner.

“You two seriously look nothing alike.” Andrea said looking between Luka and I while we ate.

“But they act the same.” Vedran answered.

“And look at the size of those heads!” Niko added.

“I’ll break your foot.” I told him.

“I’ll let her.” Luka added.

“Oh okay now I see it.” Andrea laughed.

It was two days after Luka and everyone headed back to England that I received a call from Iker.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Lena, its Iker are you busy today?” He asked me.

“No, but why the heck do you care and why are you calling me?” I asked feeling very confused.

“I’m in New York and I really would like to see you.”

“I don’t know.” I sighed not knowing how to respond.

“Please Lena?”

“What time and where?” I asked.

“My Hotel at 7?” He asked.

“Sure, where are you staying?” I asked taking down the hotel name.

“See you Lena.” He told me as he hung up.

“Who was that?” Andrea asked.
“You’re not going to believe it.” I said shaking my head. “It was Iker who apparently is in town and wants to see me.” I explained.

“Like a date?”

“I don’t know, I don’t think so.”

“Totally a date.” She told me. “Dress hot!” She shouted running towards my room.

“Jesus help me.” I mumbled as I followed in and sat while she flung outfit after outfit at me.

An hour later, Andrea had me try on I lost count of how many outfits and finally let me leave wearing a green and white dress and tan boots. I walked to the train and headed towards Manhattan, and to Iker’s hotel. I met him in the hotel lounge, hoping I wouldn’t run in to Cristiano.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lena's outfit