Status: Complete

Delude

Dormant

I must have fallen asleep again because when I woke it was dark out. I glanced around the living room and listened as the house groaned. I wondered if my mom had come home, saw me on the couch, and left without leaving me any food.

As I stood and stretched, I noticed something sitting on the corner of the coffee table. It hadn’t been there when I had come home. Curiously, I leaned over and looked at it.

It was a lighter.

It was his.

Memories flashed across my brain at the sight of it and I shook my head. There was no way what Nixon said was the truth. He was just as crazy as Evan, spreading his lies to make me reaction.

Only half of what he said weren’t lies.

I squeezed my eyes shut as if his words gave me a headache. I need to go see Jade, to tell her what I knew. Maybe she’d feel the same way and we could go talk to someone.

Then I had a sudden thought: would anyone believe what I had to say? No. Everything I found out was so absurd, so unreal, that not a single person would be on my side for this.

When I turned to go into the kitchen, I was greeted by a familiar face, one that startled me so much that I stumbled back.

“Jesus Christ,” I gasped. “What are you doing here?”

“Forgot my lighter,” Nixon said, frowning. “Can I have it, please?”

“How did you even get in here?” I asked as I retrieved his lighter and handed it to him. “The door was locked.”

“No it wasn’t,” Nixon replied. His fingers brushed mine for a fraction of a second before he pulled back. “You shouldn’t sleep with the door open, someone might come in.”

“I wasn’t―but you came in.”

“You didn’t lock the door?” Nixon asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I did when you left,” I said, shaking my head. “Maybe my mom left it open?”

Nixon stared at me. “Your mom didn’t come home.”

“How do you know?” I asked.

He frowned. “I waited outside.”

I stared at him, my mouth working to form the words I wanted to say.

“I needed to see if I could trust you. I knew you lied to me when you said you would be careful. If you really want to find out more, then I will tell you what I know. If not, then I’ll leave and you’ll never hear from me again.”

“I need to know what’s going on. I need to know if I’m in danger.” I couldn’t stop myself. I needed to know everything that was going to happen to me, to my mother, and Jade.

“Are you sure?” Nixon asked, stepping closer. Now he was close enough to smell. He watched my nose twitch and smirked.

I nodded and took a seat at the kitchen table.

“So, what, do I have to kill someone?” The question left my mouth before I could stop it. It frightened me, how calm my voice was.

“Not exactly,” Nixon muttered as he sat down beside me. “It’s a bit more complicated than that.”

“What’s more complicated than not killing someone?”

“You have to strip him of his powers.” Nixon looked at me, studying my face. I think I looked confused because he laughed in an obvious sort of way and said, “I’m afraid I lost you.”

I looked at him uncomfortably.

“You're the only one who can do it, Casey,” he explained.

I felt my body tense. “What can I do? I don’t have any powers.”

The way he smiled at me made me shiver.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delayed update once again.

Comment/Subscribe.