Status: Complete

Delude

Suffocate

“Stay with me,” he whispered against my lips, his arm sliding around my waist to pull me closer. I could feel his hands worm its way under my shirt. I hissed as he brushed his fingers across the side of my bra.

“Let go,” I snarled, dragging my nails across his cheek. He pushed me back and I stumbled, but regained my balance. I flinched as I stared at Noah, half-expecting him to strike me.

He pressed a hand to his face, his palm coated with blood as he brought it down to examine it. His honey-eyes watched me and a frown touched his lips.

“Are you okay?” he murmured. He used his sleeve clean his face, cocking his head at me. “I’m sorry for kissing you.”

“Why did you?” My thoughts flew to Nixon and I wanted to ask how he was again. I needed to find him.

Noah smirked. “You know why I did it, and you know why you kissed me back. It’s really very simple.”

“Sure it is,” I said. “I’d like to know what you expect me to believe now.”

“I’m afraid I don’t understand,” Noah said, shaking his head. “What do you mean?”

I kept my temper under control since there was no telling what would happen if I exploded at him. For all I knew he would make that black hole appear again and transport me somewhere else.

“What lie will you tell me next?” I asked, leaning against the house.

“I’m not dishonest, Miss Sullivan.” He smiled and came closer. “Maybe Evan’s got it in your head that all of us are bad, but it’s not true.”

I shook my head as he approached and took in the way his lips curved. My mind flooded with images of what he wanted to do with his mouth.

“Just take me to Nixon,” I ordered.

“Is that all you want?” He was beside me before I could even blink, fingers tracing the curve of my neck. I shuddered under his touch.

“Yes,” I said, glaring at him. “I really wouldn’t have pegged you for someone who makes unwanted advances.”

He chuckled softly. “Apparently kissing you was okay, then. What about your mother, Casey, don’t you want to see her too?”

I bit my lip to keep from screaming at him.

“Open the door, Noah.”

“Only if you say the magic word.” He laughed.

I smiled coyly and curled my fingers around the collar of his jacket, gripped it, and slammed him against the door. It rattled as his body hit it and he looked at me with wide eyes.

Now,” I snarled.

Alright, darling,” he muttered and withdrew a key from his pocket. He slid it into the lock and turned it, then looked at me. “Are you sure you want to see what’s in here?”

I shoved him into the house.

___

Jade’s smile faded as soon as she heard the door slam and heard the hushed voices murmuring in the slightly darkened hallway. She hovered in one spot for a few minutes before walking forward. As she turned the corner, she caught sight of the traitor and she narrowed her eyes as she slid into view.

“Funny running into you here,” she said as she watched the girl’s expression; the wide, shocked eyes and tightened jaw. She was not ready for this. There was no way.

“Easy Jade.” Noah sighed. “You know Evan doesn’t want you to kill her right away.”

“I wasn’t going to kill her,” Jade said, tilting her head at Noah. Then she came forward and extended her hand. “I just wanted to talk to my friend one last time before she watched as I murdered her lover.”

___

I stared at Jade, heard the words that she spoke as they twisted around my brain, squeezing until they suffocated me. I didn’t want to believe that this was end which I couldn’t fight and win.

“Bitch.”

Finally, and a little late, something inside of me snapped. I tried to concentrate, letting the energy course through me like Nixon had taught me to do. I watched one light that decorated the hall flicker, and then it died, shrouding the area in half-darkness.

“Do you see this, Noah? She can’t possibly think she can do anything with that undeveloped power.”

Fuck this.

I smashed my fist into Jade’s nose.

I could hear her shrieking as she staggered back into the wall. The light that hit her made her look distorted. I watched her run from me, the blood dripping and leaving a trail in her wake.

Something slammed against my body then, wrapping around me. I couldn’t breathe as I looked down and watched a pair of hands form, clutching me tightly. I felt something against the bare skin of my shoulder and my eyes widened.

“My turn,” Jade whispered into my ear.

Then she proceeded to crush my lungs with her arms.