One Heart

Overprotective

Nathalie’s POV

“Shouldn’t you be in hospital?” Brian had been fretting over me like this ever since the first contraction, despite the fact I had explained to him it wasn’t actually the start of the baby coming, and that he only needed to take me to hospital later in labour when my water broke. “I can take you, it is no problem.”

“Brian, for the last time, I don’t need to go yet,” I replied, glancing around at the booth which I apparently was not allowed to leave as order of Brian after we had made it to Deviate. “It’s early times yet.”

“But maybe just to make sure…”

I zoned out of the rest of his words as he just repeated himself again, not really wanting to bother to answer again. Instead, I just made him stop by getting up and walking out of the booth and, as I expected, he scurried after me like some lonely puppy.

“Nathalie you shouldn’t be walking around!” He cried, tugging gently on my arm to try and get me to stop in my tracks. “Look, whatever you want, I’ll get it!”

“I’m just getting myself a drink Brian, for fuck’s sake!” I snapped, yanking my arm free from his grip. “I’m pregnant not a fucking invalid!” He must have got lost somewhere on the dance floor since by the time I had pushed my way through the grinding bodies to the bar- with loads of help from the huge stomach, it acted almost like a police riot shield- he was no where in sight. Right now, it was probably a good thing; especially since I was ready to rip his head off.

“Hey hun, what can I get you?”

I looked up to the brunette behind the bar who had spoken and irritably replied, “I’ll have an orange juice.”

“Sure thing.” She placed the drink in front of me after taking my money and putting it in the till. Her eyes soon drifted to a scene behind me where a load of people had started shouting and complaining. I didn’t need to look at it to know what the reason is, and sighed accordingly. She must have noticed by downcast expression since she immediately asked, “Do you know that guy?”

“That idiot is my husband,” I grumbled, not even looking up as the aforementioned appeared at my side.

“What the fuck are you playing at?” Brian demanded, pushing aside the orange juice I tried to use as a means of ignoring him. “Fucking listen to me when I am talking to you!”

I put on my most unimpressed expression as I turned to him. “I’m listening.”

“Why are you being so fucking difficult?”

“Why can’t you go one sentence without swearing?” I retorted.

“Oh for fuck’s sake…” He pushed away from the bar, shouting back “You know what? Forget it!”

“Bye.”

I didn’t bother trying to get him to stop.

“Having troubles?” The waitress asked, leaning over the bar to talk. “Seems like you did something to piss him off.”

“I didn’t do anything to him, he’s just trying to make it out like I have,” I replied, reaching across to where Brian had pushed my drink and taking a sip. “Unless being pregnant is a crime,” I added sarcastically.

“Sounds like the protective father-to-be to me,” she concluded. “Is it your first?”

I shook my head. “Second.” It was then that I realised I hadn’t even introduced myself yet. “I’m Nathalie by the way.”

“Nice to meet you,” she greeted, shaking my hand. “Louise.”

“I’m guessing you are new here?”

She chuckled. “Did the fact I have been dropping glasses all night tell you?”

“Actually, it was because I didn’t know you,” I laughed. “My friend is the owner you see, so I pretty much get to know all the staff- and pretty much all of the staff is getting drunk instead of getting people drunk.”

“That’s the way to go,” she replied with a smile. “Although I’m not sure getting drunk on Valentine’s Day is something I would like to do, I’d rather spend it with someone alone.”

“You got a boyfriend then?”

“Yes, I do,” she said softly, a look of adoration crossing her face. “It’s been almost fifteen years now.”

Fifteen?” Surely I didn’t hear that right; she looked about the same age as me, if not a few years younger.

She chuckled at my surprise. “Don’t worry, you weren’t hearing things. We’ve been together a long time; since I was 10 in fact; if you count those years that is.”

“And you haven’t ever thought about getting married?”

“You would think that we would have, but no,” she mused. “We’re happier just being together. We don’t need a gold ring to prove it.”

“I wish I had done that,” I murmured, my voice dropping.

“Not that marriage is bad or anything,” she quickly added after seeing how I reacted. “We just don’t really have the money for a big fancy wedding. After all, I only work the bar here and he designs at the tattoo shop so we only just about can live as we do now, let alone save to get married.”

“Who does he design for? Maybe he could help me out in designing me a new tattoo.”

“Do you know Sam Wright?” I looked at her with absolutely no clue. “Well he owns Phoenix Tattoos nearby and my boyfriend works with him. He designs, Sam tattoos.”

Something clicked. “Phoenix Tattoos?”

“That’s right.”

“Sam?”

“Yes…” She replied slowly, wondering where I was getting to. “Do you know him?”

“Yeah… I went in there a while back to get my star tattoo finished. Are you telling me you are Luke Wilson’s girlfriend?”

“Yes, that’s him!” She replied happily. “How do you know him?”

“Luke and I go way back,” I chuckled. “So you were the girlfriend in his cell’s background that he showed me all those years ago. All this time Clo and I just thought he was gay.”

“He never told you about me, huh?”

“Apparently it is because we never asked.”

She smiled. “That does sound like my Lukey-bear.” She noticed I had finished my drink and took the glass and placed it behind the bar. “The same again?”

As soon as I glanced up at the clock a wave of tiredness suddenly washed over me, and I shook my head. “No, I think I’m just going to head back actually.” I swivelled on the stool and looked out over the dance floor to see if I could spot any of the others, but with the amount of people in the club it just wasn’t going to happen. “Could you do me a favour?”

“Sure.”

“If Chloe or Brian- the guy who came over earlier- comes to the bar could you tell them I have gone home?”

“Sure, no problem,” she replied with a smile. “Do you want me to get you a taxi for you?”

“No it’s alright,” I said, pulling my keys out of my bag. Brian could get a taxi back- fuck if I’m driving him after what he was like. “I’ve got the car keys.”

“Alright, drive safe.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy :)