Strangers in the Rain

Chapter 10

“If you want to know why Gerard acts so strange, with the being attached and the being gone for no reason, there's one thing you have to do.” Ray smiled. “I can see it’s got you up tight and I want what's best for the both of you. So after I tell you, keep in mind that you may not like what you find out. You can either take my advice or wait until he brakes it to you. He will tell you in his own time.”

“I wouldn’t mind so much, its just he seems as though he’s so interested and then he goes and leaves. No text, no call, no nothing. And I had this weird dream about him the other night. I can’t get it out of my head. It doesn’t help my ex was in the same dream as well.” I got into his car so we could drive back to the estate agents. Neither of us talked for the entire journey.

“Gerard, is a bit of an idiot, keep that in mind as well.” Ray smiled as I got in my car. I thanked him and nodded and waved goodbye. I kept boys off my mind for the ride, I used the technique of loud music, you can’t concentrate on anything. And to also help keep me distracted the heating broke in my car before I could reach my ‘home’, or parking space. The heating broke did not help me, clouds were forming and the wind was picking up. Both indications of a cold night ahead. And a nice cold climate for the rest of the day. December has never been known for its tropical climates and glorious sun. What Ray had said to me didn’t leave my mind once. I wouldn’t like what Gerard had to say. And one thing I do appreciate is honesty.

Work for the next week flew by. Some of the other stuff in my life did as well. Frank and I got along well. And I was now becoming a full time employee of the skeleton crew. The offer I put on my flat was accepted. I was moving in a week. There were only two things still up in the air. During this week I only received one phone call from one person. I was working so I did not get the call until I checked my phone in my car. I thought it would be Gerard, or my mum or something. But I was wrong, it was my ex, Jason. And I haven’t heard a peep from him since the brake up about three months ago. I don’t want to hear anything from him. I ignored the call. I erased the fact it ever happened from my memory.

It was my weekend off. And I was sitting in Starbucks staring at my empty coffee cup. I like hanging out in this starbucks, sometimes I hope that Gerard would walk through the door, surprise me, answer all my questions and then we could possibly begin a kind of normal relationship. But apart from the first time we spent together at starbucks I haven’t had coffee with him since. I considered buying myself another cup of coffee, but in these situations I always chose the cheapest option, I have become quite money conscious since I have to save for the deposit on my apartment and the first months rent. I went to leave. Sit in my car and doodle in a notebook. I was going to walk out the door, that was the plan but I couldn’t. My ex, Jason, was standing blocking my exit. He wasn’t subtle about his entrance. He always liked to make a show and tell out of things. Instead of asking for a quick word or offering to buy me a coffee, which I would decline, he spread his arms opened wide and got the attention of the entire place.

“Lexis! Long time no see sweetie.” I think he thought I would be happy to see him, I would run into his arms and beg for him to take me back. I would admit it was all my fault and I was never out of love with him. But that’s not how things are with us. And I am not like that. Even if I did feel like that about anyone I would never admit my love for someone in the middle of a busy starbucks and the possibility of someone I know over hearing. “Well, aren’t you going to say anything.” After a quick check for any other exits I found the only way out was to go through him.

“Get outside now,” I said through gritted teeth. With that stupid smile on his face he followed me from the starbucks and to my car. “What was that? You think you can barge into a public place and expect me to admit my love for you after everything. You’re bonkers. I told you I never wanted to see or hear from you again. I'm getting my life back together, I don’t need you anymore.” Jason remained in my car. His face fell but he didn’t move.

“Come one sugar, you know that’s not true. I haven’t been able to get you off my brain baby, I wanted to see you.” He whispered. He reached over, I assumed to touch me so I shied away. His hand dropped but he placed it near my thigh. “Look me in the eyes and tell me you haven’t thought about me just once in the last months. That I haven’t crossed your mind. If you say no then I'll leave.”