Falling on Dead Ears

Suck

Sitting up I glanced around the room. That woman, Liz, was still around. She’d been here for three whole days. Every day Travis was growing more and more distant from me. Andy and the rest of Travis’s friends were all renting rooms in town now. The only one who seemed to like her was Robert, Travis’s dad. The two got along flawlessly.

The bed was empty. Sighing I got ready for the day, pulling on a long black v-neck shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans. Normally on a hot day, like today, it was shorts and a bikini but since Liz got here I feel uncomfortable being around her with close to nothing on. I felt fat.

Heading down stairs I moved towards the gym. Passing Robert I gave a soft head nod and stopped. The motion of his lips was caught out of my peripheral vision. Turning I narrowed my brows as he frowned at me.

He’s not in there. He’s gone.’ My brows narrowed deeper in confusion at those words. Gone? How was he gone? ‘He went somewhere for the day. Don’t know where.’ With that Robert turned back to the fridge.

Travis just left for the day. Nibbling my bottom lip I turned heading for the garage. Sure enough his truck was gone. Glancing around the empty garage I sighed before I noticed it. It was missing to.

Heading back into the house I grabbed my purse, socks, and shoes. I waved at Robert as I left the house. Sneaking down the street two houses I glanced around the tree up at my Aunt’s house. Both my Uncle’s and her cars were gone.

Smiling triumphantly I dug my keys from my pursed and slipped into the garage. Dancing happily that she hadn’t gotten rid of my car, I got in and backed out of the drive way.

There was only one place Travis would be if he was hiding.

&&&&&

Travis sighed as he eyed the large mound of dirt. His hand fell at the angel of it and his head tipped sideways. It didn’t seem right.

“Travis you got a visitor?” Travis frowned and turned at the owner’s voice. “I think she’s deaf.” He added as Travis’s eyes landed on Ellie standing behind the portly man.

“I know her.” Travis smiled and got off his bike. The man shrugged and walked away. “How’d you know I was here?” He whispered nervously. She pointed at the bike, then at him and smiled. “am I that obvious?” She shrugged. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you…” He whispered.

Ellie shrugged at the idea, but held up his phone to him. He frowned and watched as he turned it back to her, scrolling through…He angled his head and leaned forward to see. She held it up and he frowned. His contacts? She couldn’t call anyone.

His frown deepened at Jolene’s name on the screen before she pressed send and handed it to him.

“Why am I calling Jolene?” He asked confused.

“Hello?” Jolene’s voice seeped out of the phone making Travis jumble it around startled.

“Hey…” He cleared his throat.

“Hey Trav, what’s up?” She asked.

“I don’t know, Ellie just dialed you for me…” Jolene laughed loudly at how useless Travis sounded right then. His deaf girlfriend had to call her for him. “I don’t know why…” He glanced up at Ellie, still confused.

The small woman rolled her celery green eyes and pointed at the bike, a blank look on her face as she stared at him.

“Oh…OH!” he gasped. Jolene laughed louder as he got it. “Wanna come to the track? I’m already here.”

“Sure. All get the rest of then guys and see ya soon.”

“Alright, see ya soon.” He hung up and smiled at Ellie. “Thank you.” She knew he needed his friends more than anything right now. He needed a good laugh and a good comical slap to the face to bring him out of the funk Liz was setting him in. “You’re too good to me.” He smiled. She shrugged with a coy smile. “Oh cocky now are we?” He asked. He placed his hands on her waist pulling her small body into his as she placed her hands on his chest, both smiling at the other. “You’re too cute for your own good, you know that?”

Ellie smiled brightly and nodded up at him. She poked him nose and stood on her toes, kissing him.

Travis pulled her as close to his body as he physically could and pressed his lips back.

He’d been to afraid to go near Ellie at the house that he hadn’t kissed her, held her, ever really talked to her, in the past three days. He didn’t want her on Liz’s radar and have her end up hurt.

The soft moan leaving Ellie’s throat sent Travis into over drive. He wanted her now.

She gripped as his ridding jersey and let his tongue wonder into her mouth, dominating the kiss. His hands roughly tugging at her hips made her nervous and had all the butterflies fluttering in her stomach as everything seemed to get hotter.

“Whoa! Slow down there Sea-biscuit.” Travis’s head fell back with a groan.

“Thanks.” Travis grumbled annoyed. Why did his friends have to ruin all their moments? “Thanks a lot, that’s twice now.”

“Oh…really?” Ellie waved shyly at Ken Block sitting on the hood of his Rally car, fully suited up. She hadn’t seen him since the night before Liz showed up. “By the way what the hell happened to us playing a game of suck a few days ago?” Travis groaned.

“Shit, I’m so sorry man. I totally forgot. My Ex just randomly showed up… and…” Travis was at a loss of words.

“Ex? Which ex. If you tell me Sherri I’m telling to you suck it up you ended on good terms with her.” Ken pointed.

“Liz.” Andy stated passing the Rally car driver.

“Oh shit!” Ken leaned back, both hands over his mouth. “I totally understand! No worries TP!” Ken laughed. Travis sighed nodding. “Wait…twice?” Travis grimaced realizing Ken had no idea he’d walked in on the two making out on the kitchen floor. “When did I bother you before?” Travis cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck. Ellie just patted his chest and wandered off towards Jolene.

“That…ugh…” Travis groaned. “The day you showed up…?” He questioned. Ken blinked, watching his friend.

“That’s nasty.” Was all Ken dead panned through the silence. “That’s…were you actually…or did I get there-”

“before, thus why twice.” Travis cut in.

“You’re nasty.” Ken stated flatly.

“Oh come on!” Travis gasped. He waved his hands in Ellie’s direction. “Come on!” He gasped. Ellie turned to look at him, making him flush with embarrassment and simply wave.

Ken laughed at how fast Ellie had turned Travis into a nervous sixteen-year-old boy again with just a simple glance his way.

“I’ll admit this, she is very…” Ken licked his lips before looking at Travis. “You know what I mean,” he cleared his throat not wanting to anger his friend. “But really now? In public? On a kitchen floor?” Travis flushed bright red.

“I wasn’t going to…but…you’re a jerk! That’s all I’m saying!” Travis held his hands up as Ken laughed.

“Wow you’re sixteen all over again for one girl.”

“Am not.” Ken raised a thick bushy brow at him. “Oh shut up.” Travis grumbled. Huffing at his friend the, once again, sixteen-year-old man stormed over to his girlfriend and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Tattle-tail!” Ken called, even though Travis hadn’t said a word.

“Let’s do this!” Jolene growled excited for once in the past few days. The group cheered and clapped.

“A game of suck!” Ken declared while standing.

“A game of suck.” Travis nodded. The group ew’ed at Travis as he kissed the top of Ellie’s head lovingly.

Ellie’s face flushing red from the action. As if it wasn’t bad enough Ken had caught them full-on making out, now he was doing this. Atleast he was back to normal.

She smiled as he ran off getting in a car similar to Ken’s and racing off. Ken pointed, hand cupped around his mouth yelling at Travis before darting to his own car.

“So.” Travis rubbed his hands together a few hours later. “We’ve got Ken Block here,” he pointed at Ken standing next to him. “Rally cars,” he pointed at Ken’s car behind them. “the rest of the Nitro Crew, and some reckless stuns set up along with a game of SUCK.” He nodded. “Game on.” Ken shoved Travis over.

“I’m holding onto my golden shoe from last time, loser.” With that Ken walked off.

“Hey that was uncalled for!” Travis pouted. “That was mean.” He fake sniffled before laughing with the rest of the crew.

Ellie, to put it lightly, was lost. Cameras had magically come out of no where along with a crew to operate them, and she had no idea what Nitro Circus was and she wasn’t sure if it sounded funny, stupid or painful.

“Okay…so what are we doing first?” Travis asked eyeing Block. Ken simply pointed making Travis slowly turn. “You’re kidding…” Travis groaned. His shoulders fell limp at the sight before him.

“Nope. Hit all the jelly bean jars, only the jars Trav,” He teased his friend. “While still getting all the balloons.” Travis frowned. He’d messed up on both those challenges last time. “I thought I’d make this game a little harder than the last one. Where I went easy on you.” Ken sang before strutting off to his car. “Jo let’s go!” He called.

Ellie jumped as Jolene danced with excitement before taking off towards the car; grabbing a helmet from the safety guy as she went.

“So cool!” She squealed while sliding into the car.

Travis frowned as he sighed, licking his lips. His eyes fell on Ellie eyeing up the obstacle. Smiling he placed an arm over her shoulders. She questioned what was going on.

“A game of skill.” Was all he answered, earning a frown from her. “Trust me.” He leaned down at gently kissed her.

She sighed deeply but nodded. She wasn’t worried soo much as confused. She didn’t under stand the point of hanging jars of jelly beans and putting paint filled water balloons on the ground.

Instead of voicing this, she simply watched the black, sticker covered Subaru rev its engine and hit the tarmac. The back of the car hitting each jar of jellybeans and running over most of the balloons as it raced the course.

“Beat that golden boy.” Ken popped his collar while passing Travis.

“I hate you.” Travis grumbled. He froze as a pair of lips hit the edge of his jaw bone. Instantly his eyes fell to Ellie lowering her self flat on her feet and signing a soft ‘good luck.’ Nodding he pulled his helmet on. “Tommy!” He growled cheerfully to the man and waving him towards the car.

“Yes!” Tommy yelled happily.

Travis gripped the wheel tightly as he spun the car this was and that, listening to the thunks of jelly bean jars bouncing off the car. He would’ve looked to see how he hit them even though he didn’t wanted too, but he didn’t have time. Not at the speed he was going anyway.

Climbing out he smiled over at Ellie clapping and smiling at him. Turning to the course he lifted his arms in victory. Every jellybean jar perfectly, and every balloon flawlessly.

“I believe that gets you a letter.” Travis smirked and pointed at Ken.

“You’re a prick, what’s next?” He stated simply trying to hide his annoyance. Travis rubbed his chin thoughtfully at what the next obstacle could be. “Come on wonder boy I don’t got all day…” Ken teased.

“Give me a second.” Travis laughed as he pulled his helmet off and fully got out of the car. “Let’s play…” Travis smirked.