Can I Hold You?

Ella

"Mike!" I yelp as I see him and his band mates walk into the apartment. I run up to him and wrap my arms, and legs around him.
"I fucking missed you," he whispers in my ear. I kiss him lovingly, "Hey, you want to go back to that hotel?" I nod. I release my love from my arms and grab my messenger bag.

"Lisea, Adie, nice to see you again, but we're leaving," Mike says waving as we head out the door.
"Where the hell are you going?" Tre demands.
"Somewhere we can be as loud as we want," I call back as Mike and I practically hurdle down the stairs. We get into Mike's truck and he starts it up.

"I fucking love you," I say without noticing.
"What?" he asks glancing at me as he drives down the street. "Did you say you loved me?"
"Umm maybe," I say feeling my cheeks burning red.
"Did you mean it?"
"Of course I did," I say burying my head in my hands. "I shouldn't have said it though." Mike just laughs as I feel his arm snake around my shoulders.
"I love you too Ana," I look up to see him smiling, "I have for a long while now, I'm crazy about you." I peck his cheek as he looks at the road ahead. Those three simple words coming from his mouth sounded so good.

*
A few days later, I get home from work and everyone else seems to be out. I exhaustedly toss my bag aside and slump down on the couch. The second my tired ass touches the couch the phone starts to ring. I'm just about ready to let it ring but I get up and head over to the kitchen. I pick up the phone.
"Hello," I moan.
"Ana, is that you?" someone demands worriedly.
"Ella? Is that you?"
"Yeah, Ana, my water just broke," she says I can hear the panic in her voice. "I need you to drive me to the hospital."
"Of course I'll be right over," I say hanging up the phone. I pick up my purse just as I hear Billie's rickety old car pull up in front of the building. I run down the stairs to see him and Adie necking off.

"Billie gimme your car keys it's an emergency!" I yell. He removes his face from Adie's neck and just glares at me. "Fuck Billie, just give them to me," he reaches into his pocket and tosses me his keys. I run out to his car just as Mike's truck pulls up across the street. He sees me and runs over to the car.
"Ana where are you going?"
"Ella is having the baby," I say as we get into the car.
"Holy shit, now?" he asks as I start up the car engine. I nod as I drive the car towards Ella's parent's house. I drive quickly and quietly into Oakland's suburbs till we reach the correct house. I run out of the car, just barely catching a glimpse of Mike opening one of the back doors. I open the front door to find Ella sitting on the kitchen floor holding her water melon of a baby.

"Ella, are you okay?" I demand as I put her arm over my shoulders and help her up.
"It hurts, it hurts really bad," she cries.
"Okay," I say as we head to the door, "Did you call the hospital?"
"Yeah, right after I called you," she gasps. We get out to the car and I help her into the back seat, Mike is sitting in the driver's seat, looking back at us every two seconds.
"Alright, go," I say once we're in the car. Mike doesn't say anything he just puts his foot down on the gas. It only takes us a few minutes to get to the hospital, but it probably felt like forever to Ella.

I help Ella out of the car and Mike goes off to park the car, almost instantly Ella is taken away by wheel chair.
"Are you family?" a nurse asks me as I follow along.
"She's my sister," Ella lies. I continue to follow them into one of the rooms. I told to wait outside the room as the doctor looks at her, next thing I know she's being wheeled away to delivery and it hadn't even been five minutes. I head to the waiting room to meet Mike.

He walks in and looks around before spotting me.
"Is she okay?" he asks casually.
"She's in delivery."
"Isn't there supposed to be some sort of buffer time?" he asks, I just laugh at his terminology.
"I guess this baby is coming fast," I say shrugging. We go to sit on the ratty old chairs against the wall. "Must be scary."
"What?"
"Giving birth alone," I say quietly, "I mean most women have their spouse with them, holding their hand."
"Yeah," he mumbles, "I know Jason would've wanted to be the one to take her to the hospital, be with her the whole way through. People might've called him a jack ass, but he was one noble guy."
"Yeah, I remember," I say thinking back to the tens of Green Day gigs he was at, he never once glanced away from Ella, his love.

"Are you Anastasia, Ella's sister?" a nurse asks coming up to me.
"Yeah I'm Anastasia," I say standing up.
"Well your sister had a smooth delivery, and she wants to see you and your boyfriend now."
"Thank you," I say as we head down the drab hallway.

I'm a little apprehensive about going into the room but Mike opens the door for me and we walk inside.
"Ana, I'm a mom," she smiles as she rocks her new born son in her arms. "Come closer you two." We walk up to the side of the bed.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, they numbed me from the waist down," she laughs. "Jason, this is your Auntie Ana and Uncle Mike."
"Uncle Mike?" Mike laughs as he looks over his 'nephew.' "But I have a firm rule about not trusting anyone who calls themselves your uncle if they have no relation."
"Yeah, Jason said you guys were like brothers," she says looking down at her son, "So you're Uncle Mike."

We stayed at the hospital until Ella's parents came, and then we left to go back to the apartment where we found Billie and Adie packing up their stuff. They're getting married next week and bought themselves a new house. Mike and I are still looking for a house to call our own.