‹ Prequel: Katy's Summer

Dear Katy

A Promise I Should Keep

“I can’t believe you’re getting married tomorrow!”, Dexter sighed as she traced her fingers on my dress, which I laid out on my bed so they could see it.

“You’re gonna be handcuffed, and won’t have fun anymore!”, Serena pouted on the couch.

“You guys, you know that’s not true.”, I laughed and put my hands on my hips.

Aubrey sat up straight on my bed. “It is true, Katy Cat.”

“Well, Auby, where do you know that?”

“…My brother?”

“You took a lot of advices from a guy who still shout randomly when he saw a clown.”

“Don’t say that! Matt still freaked out if he sees a Mickey Mouse!”, Serena defended and crossed her arms.

“I’m sorry, Rena.”, I said while I sat down next to her.

She smiled and wrapped her arms around me. “Apology accepted.”

“But, you have to come with us tonight.”, Dexter grinned.

“Where, though?”

“Your bachelorette party. Duh.”, Aubrey added.

“Fine.”, I sighed. “But no strippers.”

All three of them groaned.
************
“I hate you guys, you know that?”, I said through my teeth when we went into the local venue from the back door. obviously they brought me to the ATL hometown show.

“Nope, you wont hate us after tonight.”, Dexter grinned as we walked through the hallways and stepped into the guys’ dressing room. thank God none of them were in.

I sat down on the couch and listen to my heart. The beat accelerated when I smelled Alex’s signature scent all over the room. some say that a night before the wedding, everything could change, and now, I believe that.

“Hey guys.”, Jack walked in and Aubrey quickly jumped onto her brother’s back. “Monkey!”

“Monkey?”, I raised a brow and looked at Serena. She giggled.

“Its Aubrey’s nickname from the guys because when we were in Australia, after we saw the koala bears, she like to jump on the guys’ backs.”

I laughed and saw Jack running around the room with his sister on his back. this view reminded me of two years ago, when I asked Alex what they would do if they weren’t siblings.

Aubrey and Jack are the cutest siblings I’ve ever seen. They looked out for each other, Jack protected her even though he still needs protection, and Aubrey filled in.

“Jack, we’re going on—“, Alex suddenly walked into the room and his words cut off. His eyes glued on me. “Katy?”

“Hi, Alex.”

“What are you doing here?”, he asked with his eyes narrowed on me.

“We brought her here, Gaskarth.”, Dexter rolled her eyes.

“Oh.”, Alex said awkwardly, before rushing out from the room.

Jack let Aubrey down and followed Alex out. I looked down to my hands. Guilt rushed in, and I could see Alex doesn’t want me here.

“Come on, Kate. The show’s about to start.”, Aubrey smiled and offered me her hand.

Alex

“Dude, Katy’s here!”, I freaked out and sat on one of the equipment box on the backstage. “What should I do?”

“Well, man up! you still sticking to the plan, right?”, Rian asked.

“Shit.”, I breathed. “I can’t do this with her here!”

“No, it’s the best time.”, Jack assured me. I stood up and saw the girls and Katy walked into the backstage. Her eyes were on me. The others gave me a clap on my shoulder. I hoped I was ready.

I walked out to the stage and greeted by screaming fans. I arranged the crews to brought my piano and set it up on the middle of the stage. I sat down and took a deep breath.

“Hey guys.”, I said through the mic. They screamed. “So, I’m going to start this show a bit different. I’m going to play a song I just learned on piano. I hope you guys like it.”

The fans screamed and I looked down to the keys. My fingers started to play the keys, and I closed my eyes.

Katy don't cry I know
you're trying your hardest
and the hardest part is letting go
of the nights we shared
Ocala is calling and you know it's haunting
but compared to your eyes
nothing shines quite as bright
and when we looked to the sky
it's not mine but i want it
so...

lets not pretend like you're alone tonight
(I know he's there and)
you're probably hanging out and making eyes
(while across the room he stares)
I'll bet he gets the nerve to walk the floor
and ask my girl to dance
she'll say yes
(because these words were never easier for me to say or her to second guess but i guess)
that i can live without you but
(without you I'll be miserable at best)

you're all that i hoped I'd find
in every single way
and everything i would give
is everything you couldn't take
cause nothing feels like home
you're a thousand miles away
and the hardest part of living
is just taking breaths to stay
cause i know I'm good for something
i just haven't found it yet
and i need it
so...

lets not pretend like you're alone tonight
(I know he's there and)
you're probably hanging out and making eyes
(while across the room he stares)
I'll bet he gets the nerve to walk the floor
and ask my girl to dance
she'll say yes
(because these words were never easier for me to say or her to second guess but i guess)
that i can live without you but
(without you I'll be miserable at best)

and this will be the first time in a week
that I'll talk to you and i can't speak
it's been 3 whole days since I've had sleep
cause i dream of his lips on your cheek
and i got the point that i should leave you alone
but we both know that I'm not that strong
and i miss the lips that made me fly
so...

lets not pretend like you're alone tonight
(I know he's there and)
you're probably hanging out and making eyes
(while across the room he stares)
I'll bet he gets the nerve to walk the floor
and ask my girl to dance
she'll say yes
(because these words were never easier for me to say or her to second guess but i guess)
that i can live without you but
(without you I'll be miserable)
and i can live without you but
(without you I'll be miserable)
and i can live without you but
(oh without you I'll be miserable at best)


When I was done with the song, the crowd applaud and screamed. I stood up and peeked from the corner of my eyes to the backstage. Katy was still there, but with teary eyes.

Katy

When I recognized the familiar song, I almost choked on my breath. It was Miserable At Best by Mayday Parade. I told him once, that I loved that song. on the other note, I kind of heard his emotion when he played the song.

He sang it with all his heart and all his feelings, I couldn’t even bare to leave. When they were done with the show, Alex told me to wait for him.

“Katy.”, someone called my name. I opened my eyes and saw Alex, already changed his outfit and not sweaty anymore. “Come on.”

“O-Okay.”

I followed him out from the venue and got into his car. He drove out from the parking lot and out to the dark streets. The radio played Thinking Of You by Katy Perry on low volume.

When we were up on a hill, he stopped. We went out from the car and I could see the whole town from up here. “Wow.”, I breathed.
“I’ve always wanted to bring you here, but can’t.”

“This is beautiful, Alex.”

He nodded and sat down on the grass, looking over to the town. I sat next to him and we stayed in silent, enjoying each other’s presence. “So, the wedding is tomorrow, huh?”

I nodded. “Yeah. I hope you’ll come.”

“My mom isn’t that thrilled, you know.”

“I’m scared of that. Your mom was really nice to me.”

“Well, I told her that this is the best way.”

An awkward silent filled the atmosphere again, but until he cleared his throat and started singing.

Meet me on Thames Street
I'll take you out
Though I'm hardly worth your time
In the cold, you look so fierce
But I'm warming up
Because the tension's like a fire
We'll hit South Broadway in a matter of minutes
And like a bad movie, I'll drop a line
Fall in the grave I've been digging myself
But there's room for two
Six feet under the stars


I looked at him and he looked at me back when he was done. “I still remember.”

“Alex.”, I sighed and wiped a tear on the corner of my eyes. “I thought you forgot everything.”
He shook his head. “No, I couldn’t. like when I eat a sandwich, I would think of you. When I play that song every single night, I would think of you. Katy, I couldn’t forget about you that easily.”

“Thank you.”, I whispered.

“Katy, can you promise me one thing?”

“What is it? Just tell me.”

He scooted closer and placed his hands on my stomach. “When our kid born, name him Alex, if the baby’s a girl, name her Bliss.”

A tear fell onto his hand and I wiped it quickly. “I promise.”

“Take a good care of the baby, okay?”

“I promise, Alex.”

After I said that, we laid down onto the grass, looking up to the stars. Our fingers intertwined with each others’, knowing this was probably our last night together.
♠ ♠ ♠
this story almost ends~
three/four chapters more, i think
i'm sorry i'm rushing this, but i want to get this done quick
team Alex or team Paul?
<3
p.s check out my new Zack Merrick story~