Status: Completed

P.S I Love You

First Holiday

A week later Holly, was dressing into her Thanksgiving outfit. She let her hair fall from the pony tail she made to hold back her hair so she could apply her makeup.

“Beautiful.” Gerry whispered.

Holly dropped her ring before she slid it on her finger, she looked around her for any sign that he was behind her with his charming Irish smile.

“G-Gerry?”

She could hear his laughing ringing in her head. Holly sighed with her eyes closed and could see Gerry grinning at her.

Holly walked to the living room to grab her keys and head out for her cab waiting outside. Holly didn’t want to think about the achy feeling in her chest, she was missing Gerry more than anything today. It was her first holiday without him.

Holly arrived at her mothers bar, she walked inside to find all her friends scattered around holding different conversations with one another. Holly hugged Sharon, then Denise. Tom was with her this time; –it was the second time she’s seen Tom- Holly hugged him awkwardly. John kissed Holly’s cheek when he passed her; he had boxes in his hand when he stopped.

“Hey Kara.” Holly smiled.

Kara could see Holly’s pain. It was her first holiday without Gerry, and they all knew it was going to be hard.

“Hiya sis!” Kara hugged her sister with a kiss on the cheek.

“So what do you need?”

Kara grinned, “Nothing. Please sit back and relax, you’re due any minute now.”

Holly giggled as she took her seat at the bar.

Daniel was surprised to see Holly here. He expected her to be at home crying her eyes out. Lately he’s seen a change in Holly, she wasn’t the same funny, beautiful Holly he knew and loved. She was still in a lot of pain, especially now that the baby was due any moment, and it was her first holiday without Gerry.

“Hi Holly.” Daniel whispered in her ear from behind her.

Holly looked over her right shoulder to find Daniel grinning at her. Holly giggled as she took her best friend into her arms.

“Happy Thanksgiving.” He whispered.

Holly felt a pain in her chest but put on the brightest smile, “Same to you.”

“You look sad.”

Holly sighed, “Medication?”

Daniel chuckled and held up his glass, “My first take of the day.”

Holly giggled, “Well enjoy…I guess.”

Daniel stayed talking to Holly for a while before Denise dragged her away.

“So when is your due date?”

Holly looked down at her huge pregnant belly, “December 20th.” She couldn’t help but let the smile spread across her face. One more month until she meets Gerry again.

Daniel noticed the croon in her voice. “That’s nice.”

Holly nodded, “Yes.”

Patricia looked around for Kara when she saw Holly talking to Daniel. She loved the way Holly would light up whenever she saw Daniel. Patricia was even more excited now that the birth of her first grandchild was a month away, she couldn’t wait to hold that precious baby.

After the dinner Holly said her goodbyes to all her friends and family, and then she headed home in the freezing cold. Holly didn’t feel Gerry when she walked through the door anymore. The closer it got to his anniversary, the distant he got.

Holly wiped away the tears that escaped her eyes as she got ready for bed. She reached for his pillow and clutched it to her chest –even though his scent wasn’t there anymore- she imagined it was Gerry she was holding in her arms.

The sun shined brightly threw Holly’s windows, but she didn’t feel like celebrating the warmness of the heat that was shining in her room. Instead she walked to Gerry’s closet and grabbed his leather jacket. She walked back to the bed and cried until she fell asleep again.

The sound of someone beating against her door woke her. She walked to the door to peak through the hole. Holly sighed when she saw Sharon bouncing up and down in place.

“Hey.” Holly whispered.

Sharon gasped when she saw Holly. Her heart filled with sympathy seeing the hurt in her best friend’s eyes.

“Oh baby.” Sharon wrapped her arms around Holly, soothing her when she started to sob against her shoulder.

Sharon noticed the jacket Holly was wearing; she’s seen it dozen of times on Gerry. It was his favorite jacket. She felt tears well up in her eyes when Holly whispered how much she was missing Gerry.

“Baby, don’t stress yourself out. It’s not good for the baby; you were doing so good Holly.”

Holly pulled away, “I know.” Holly rubbed her stomach to keep away from the stinging pains she was getting on her sides.

“Come on. Look you got another letter. Do you want to read it?”

Holly snatched the letter from Sharon without warning. She walked to the living room but the letter was already unfolding in her shaky hands as she read Gerry’s words.

“Holly,

Eat a lot of turkey? I hope you brought some home for me love. You know how much I love you’re mothers cooking. Anyway, today I want you to get all dolled up. I’m sending you on a girl’s day out with Sharon and Denise. They know the plans…I’ve sent them a letter.
P.S I love you.”

Holly grinned when she saw Sharon holding up the broacher for the place Gerry set her up with. She skipped to her room and changed into something warm yet comfortable as she went on another Gerry adventure.