Status: Won't be able to update this weekend. Super busy! Hopefully sometime during the week I'll get another chapter up.

Finding Family, Finding Love

Chapter 5

~Chapter Five: Meeting Daddy~
(Again don’t own Ryan. Wish I did.)

I went to bed last night completely exhausted but I couldn’t sleep. I tossed and turned and finally gave up around midnight and went and finished unpacking the living room, by that time it was two in the morning and I decided that I should at least try to get a good night’s sleep. I was out like a light when my head hit the pillow.

“Ava, Ava……..AVA!” I was startled awake by Brooke screaming at the top of her lungs. I jumped out of bed clutching the pillow like a weapon.

“What are you going to do bludgeon me to death with your pillow?” I looked down at my hands when I realized that I was in no danger.

“Brooke you know never to wake me up like that! It scares me.” I said throwing the pillow at her. “Anyway why are you waking me up? There’s not a fire somewhere or someone else you can go bother?”

“No, I don’t know anyone else in this beautiful city of Miami. There’s only you and a few random teachers that I met yesterday but I’m pretty sure that they don’t want me hanging around and bothering them on their semi-vacation.” Stacie replied as I pulled a black Paramore tank from my closet. I pulled the shirt over my head and proceed to go to my dresser and find a pair of jeans. I looked up at Brooke who was watching me with interest.

“What?” I asked.

“Ummmm…..are you forgetting that you’re meeting your dad today?”

“Ummmm…..No! I figured that I should dress like I normally do. I mean if I can’t be myself for my own father that who can I be myself for. If he don’t like me the way I am than he doesn’t deserve the title of being my father.” I replied slipping on my black sandals and walking to the bathroom to finish getting ready. Fifteen minutes later I was ready to go and the butterflies in my stomach were flying rapidly, I felt nauseous.

“Okay, I think I’m ready. Do you think I should call and see if he is there first. I mean that what I should do right. Is it rude to just show up and drop this kind of thing on him without any warning right? I mean am I doing this the right way? It’s not like I’m going to just go up to him and say hey I’m your long lost daughter you never knew about. He would think I’m crazy!” I rambled to Brooke as I sat in the kitchen attempting to eat some breakfast.

“Calm down Ava. You should just go to his work and introduce yourself. Tell him that he knows your mom, which is the truth. Tell him that you heard so much about him from her that you wanted to meet him for yourself. Or something like that you don’t have to tell him right away if you don’t want. Meet him first, size him up. But calm down, you’re making me nervous and I know my father.” She said picking up her bowl and putting it in the sink.

“You’re right. I need to just go in and introduce myself. If I think he’s going to be an asshole I can just turn around and leave and he’ll be none the wiser. Okay…Okay! I’m going now. Wish me luck.” I stood and walked towards the door.

“Good Luck Ava. You’ll tell me everything later.” She said smiling brightly.

~She’s too happy. How can anyone be that happy all the time.~ I thought as I shut the door behind me. I let out a breath that I hadn’t realized that I was holding in a rush. ~Okay, girl, you can do this.~

I walked to the curb and hailed a cab. It took a few minutes to find one that would actually stop and pick me up. “Where to miss.” The cabbie asked.

“Ummm…here.” and I gave him the address.

“Okay.” He said and drove off leaving my best friend and my new apartment behind me. A few minutes later he dropped me off. I paid the fair and looked at the building in front of me. It was certainly impressive. Big.

I walked up the stone steps and walked into the building and was automatically hit with a rush of cool air. I didn’t realize how hot it was outside until I walked inside. At first I wasn’t sure where exactly to go until I saw a sign for the criminalistics department. The closer I got to the department the more nervous I became, finally I realized that I was getting a little lost so I looked around hoping to run into someone that could help me. Suddenly someone came to my rescue. My rescuer was quite handsome. Wow was all I could think when I saw him. He had brown shaggy hair but in a professional way and his eyes. Don’t get me started I think I could drown in them.

“Miss, can I help you? Are you lost?” He brought me out of my thought when he spoke. I could tell that he was young. I’m not judging, I’m only 21 so I can’t say much. ~God’s he’s hot!~ I thought as he got closer. I realized almost too late that I was staring. I cleared my suddenly very dry throat before speaking.

“Ummmm….I’m not sure if I’m in the right place or not. My friend gave me this address. I’m uhhhh…..looking for someone.” I said my nervousness starting to show.

“Who are you looking for? Maybe I could help.” The hot guy asked. ~Right Ava show him how smart you are by thinking he’s a mind reader.~ I thought.

“Shit! Duh…Sorry that would help wouldn’t it.” I saw the guys shake his head slightly. “Ummmm…his name is uhhhh…Horatio Caine? I was told that he works here…..I think…..I really hope I’m not in the wrong place.” I was beginning to ramble and when I looked up at the guy I began to flush with embarrassment. I looked away quickly and stared out the huge windows that showed the hustle and bustle of the world passing by outside. The guy cleared his throat bringing my attention back to him and the situation at hand. “Sorry.”

“That’s okay. Yeah…Horatio works here but uhhhh…he’s on a case at the moment.” He said looking apologetic.

“Oh….really? Ummmm….okay….uhhhh…..do you know when he’ll be back? I asked and I could hear the disappointment in my own voice.

“No, I actually have no idea but I could…uhhhh….tell him you stopped by miss……?” He stopped when he realized that I had never given him my name.

“No that’s okay. Ummmm…..actually. I’ll just stop by some other time. Maybe I’ll get lucky and catch him next time. Thank for all your help, Mr.…..?” Now it was my turn to try and get a name.

“Wolfe….Ryan Wolfe…CSI.” I took his offered hand and shook it.

“Oh, so you work with my….Horatio?” I asked and caught myself before I could say ‘my father’. How awkward would that have been.

“Yeah, he’s a great boss. How do you know him?” He asked. I was really hoping to not have to go there today but what ever.

“Ummm… a mutual acquaintance.” I replied letting go of his hand that I just realized that I was still holding.

“Well, thanks for all your help. Mr. Wolfe….Ryan Wolfe.” I turned towards that doors and began walking away when his voice stopped me.

“Wait….I never got your name….I mean you have mine.” I stopped and looked at him. I couldn’t very well give him my full name.

“Ava….my name is Ava.” With that I stepped outside and I looked back at Mr. Ryan Wolfe, who stood there still watching me walk away. ~ They sure know how to make them in Florida. Shit.~ I thought as I hailed a cab to take me home. I had news for my mother and Brooke.

I didn’t get to meet my father this afternoon but I did get to meet a guy. A cute guy and hopefully I would be seeing him more often in the future. When I got back to the apartment Stace almost attacked me as soon as I walked in the door.

“So how did it go?”

“Well, I didn’t get to meet him today but I met a really cute guy. He was very helpful.” I recounted everything that had happened to her as we sat down in the living room on the couch.

“Ooohhhh…..hopefully you will see him again….he sounds like a good guy.” She said standing up from the couch. “I don’t know about you Ava but I want to see the nightlife in this town. You up for it?”

“I’m a little tired, but…” I said before she could say a word. “….I think that, that would be great. I don’t really have anything else to do. I need to unwind.”

“Maybe you’ll meet someone tonight.” Brooke said. Always the optimist. We decided to walk and found a club in no time. We were dancing for awhile when someone came up and started dancing with me.

“Well, well…if it isn't Ava Morgan. You’re far away from the nest tonight.” The male voice said. I didn't recognize it until I turned around.

“Kevin? What are you doing here?” I was really confused. Last time I saw Kevin we were only a year out of high school.

“Well I decided to come down here and look for work. Once down here though I thought that school would be a little better for me. What are you doing down here?” He asked as he lead Stace and me back to a table.

“Well, we just moved down here. We have scholarships to University here. I’m also looking for my father. We think we found him but I haven’t been able to talk to him yet.” I said trying not to reveal to much.

We danced and had a few drinks until it was quite late. Brooke was completely plastered and Kevin had to hold her up. I wasn’t quite as inebriated so I had him help me get her to our apartment and into bed. He left not to much longer after that. I’m going to regret all the drinking tonight, tomorrow, but I had fun so it was worth it. I fell asleep thinking that maybe tomorrow if I was lucky I would finally meet my father. Maybe