Status: Won't be able to update this weekend. Super busy! Hopefully sometime during the week I'll get another chapter up.

Finding Family, Finding Love

Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Phone Calls

“Yeah I’m doing okay Ma! I promise…yes the place Mac found us is perfect.” I rambled off the answers to my mothers questions as fast as she was firing them at me. “Mom! Its fine, I’m okay, I promise. I’ve got semi good news and semi bad news. Good news first…I found out where Horatio works and I stopped by….bad news….he wasn’t there, but I got to meet a really, really cute coworker of his.”

“OOOHHHH! A cute boy already Ava? You move fast don’t you?” my mother teased me, I could hear the smile in her voice. She was happy. Probably happy to be able to have Mac over at our house for a night without me being there to stop all the non-action she gets. Ewwww….

“MOM! I only just met the guy. All I said was that he was cute. His name is Ryan Wolfe and he’s a CSI.” I paused again to think of what I was going to say, “I’m going to go back today and see if I can catch Horatio.”

I walked over to the door leading out to the balcony and stopped looking out the door, the beach was considerably close to our apartment. Maybe after I met my father I could go unwind at the beach. I hadn't seen Brooke all day, I’m thinking that she went to hang out with Kevin. I was brought out of my thoughts when my mother spoke.

“What are you going to say to him?”

“I’m not sure. I know that I can’t just pop out that I’m his daughter. I mean how awkward would that be ‘Hi, I just stopped by to tell you that I’m your daughter that you never knew about. See ya round.’ That would not go over well.” I sighed briefly. “I think that I’ll meet him and just say that we know a mutual acquaintance, you. That’s what Brooke suggested, so then I could see what kind of guy he is. I know you said he’s great mom, but you haven’t seen him in what 21 years?”

“That’s true sweetie, but a man like that doesn’t change. He was so compassionate. I’ve thought many times of picking up the phone and trying to find him to tell him that he has a daughter. I always chickened out in the end.” She said.

“You never did have any balls, Mom. I think if Mac wasn’t there you would have been a goner a long time ago.” I laughed when she let out an annoyed sigh. “So how is Mac?”

“Nice change of subject.”

“Sorry I’m just getting nervous again. So how is he?”

“He’s doing good, he’s at work right now of course. Stella stopped by earlier to see you. Apparently he didn’t tell anyone at work that you moved to Florida. I’m betting that once Stella gets to work he’s going to be in trouble.” Mom was starting to laugh at the aspect of tough guy Mac Taylor getting reamed by Stella.

“It probably slipped his mind. You know Mac, he’s getting up there in the age category.” I laughed as Mom went silent.

“Don’t tell him I said that Mom. I’ll be in so much trouble when I come to visit. I miss you guys.” I sighed sadly. I had only been about three or four days since I’ve been down here but I miss everyone, I miss New York. Miami is so different.”

“Yes it is, but you’ll be just fine. You’ve always been able to adapt easily, you take change very well.” Mom said.

“Listen Mom, I think I’m going to let you go. I’m gonna head down and see if I can catch Horatio. I really want to meet him. I just hope that today is the day.” I said. “Love you.”

“Love you too honey.” After a few minutes we both hung up. Letting out a sigh I walked back into my bedroom to find something to wear. I looked in my closet and ended up grabbing my black green day metal shirt, blue jeans and my white tennis shoes. Fifteen minutes later I was ready to go, and man was I nervous.

I looked around the kitchen for a piece of paper before leaving. Once I found the paper I left Brooke a little note telling her where I was. At least someone here would know then. I left the note on the table under the salt shaker. I walked out the apartment locking the door behind me. When I got to the street I hailed a cab. A cab stopped straight away. So different from New York, most of them just ignore you.

“Where to miss?”

“9105 Northwest 25 street please.” I had that address memorized by heart now.
The cabbie dropped me off in front of the crime lab. The second time in two days. I just hoped that this time I didn’t get lost again. I walked in and followed my footsteps from the day before, this time I made it to the receptionist without getting lost. I walked up to the desk, I had to clear my throat to get her attention.

“Excuse me, ma’am?” I said sounding more nervous then I should.

“Yes, how can I help you?”

“I was actually looking for Horatio Caine. Is he available?” I had my fingers crossed behind my back hoping that he was here today.

“Yes, ma’am he is. Do you want me to page him for you?”

“Yes please.” I said. ~No, I want to stand here in the lobby looking like an idiot.~ I thought resisting the urge to roll my eyes at the lady. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn’t hear footsteps approaching me from behind.

“Ava? Back so soon.” A voice said startling me. I spun around and came face to face with Ryan.

“Ryan! Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to sneak up on a person like that?” I put my hand to my heart while my other was still behind my back with fingers crossed.

“Sorry. I was just kind of surprised that you were back so soon. Still looking for Horatio?” He asked smiling at me. One of those smiles almost makes me forget why I was there.

“Yeah, this lady said she was going to page him for me.” I said pointing to the receptionist, who was now staring at the two of us.

“Tracey, would you get this young lady a pass and I’ll just take her to Horatio. He’s in his office and probably won’t answer the page anyway.” Ryan smiled at her.

“Oh, Ryan. You don’t have to do that for me. I mean I could wait, it’s no big deal.” I protested.

“So you’re going to pass on a free tour of the crime lab? Most people would find that exciting.” I heard the teasing tone in his voice before I replied.

“You know most people are just weird. I guess it’s a good thing I want to be here. I like science so yeah, I’ll take that tour. We wouldn’t want you to think that its because you’re cute that I want to take this tour.” I couldn’t believe that I was trying to flirt with this guy. I’ve never really been that good at flirting. It seemed to be working though because he was smiling.

“That’s good then, I’ll give you a short tour on the way to Horatio’s office.” I nodded at him and off we went. It was a good hour before I had finally made it to Horatio’s office, well his office door at least. We kept getting stopped, Ryan had to introduce me to everyone. I met a young Latino looking guy, Eric, I think. He was cute. Then there was Natalya and Calliegh, that’s the only people I remember at the moment but I’ve never really been good with names.

I stood in front of the door a few minutes before Ryan reached around me and knocked on the door. I gave him a little glare, that he only chuckled at. Horatio looked up and saw me standing with Ryan, he looked perplexed. He waved us in.

“H, this is the girl that has been looking for you. Ava, this is Horatio, Horatio, Ava.” Ryan introduced us and I just stood there. I wasn’t sure what to do. “I guess I’ll leave you two alone.”

Ryan left and left us with awkward silence. I cleared my throat before walking forward.

“I know that you don’t know me or even seen me before, but we both know someone that was or is very important to us at one point or another.” I paused waiting for him to say something. When he said nothing I began talking again, getting more nervous with each word. Where is Ryan when I need him. “She….”

I didn’t get to say anything else because Horatio interrupted me.

“Rachel Morgan…” He said. I just shook my head before getting the words out.

“My mother.”

“You look just like her.” He paused and motioned for me to sit down. “What brings you here?”

“Well, its kind of a long story. The main thing is I came down here to go to college. I took a few years off after high school and now that I’m 21 I figured that it was time to finish my education. I also came down here to find my father.” I said quickly. I didn’t think that I would end up telling him so fast but just being in his presence I felt that I had too.

“Your father?” He asked looking at me with his piercing blue eyes. I couldn’t help but think that he must be kind of intimidating in interrogations.

“Yeah, I found out about him a couple days before my 21st birthday and I thought that he had a right to know.” I said, I could feel my mouth going dry. I knew that the next question he asked would change my life forever.

“You know who he is?” I shook my head once more before looking straight at him.

“You’re my father.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: I decided to change Ava’s last name so don’t be surprised when it pops up with a different name then it did in the first couple chapters.