This One Girl I Knew

Epilogue

A couple of weeks later my father moved us into downtown Oakland and I still had no news from Evee. I felt like shit, shows felt empty without her there to cheer me on or to hang out with after school or to spend the night.

"Why are you being such a downer?" Lawrence asked me one evening after a gig.
"I still haven't heard from Evee for like a month."
"Jeez, just forget about her. Look in this building alone there are probably ten girls willing to give you a whirl."
"No, I love Evee."
"Uhuh, we're all in love with the first girl to play with our ding dong." Lawrence said rolling his eyes.
"No!"
"Yeah see I thought I was in love with the girl I lost my virginity to, now I couldn't give shit where she is."
"But-"
"Did you really expect to stay together forever? Get married? Have little Tre Cool Junior?" Kain teased as he butted into the conversation.
"I don't know."
"If it makes you feel better she probably moved on." Kain says as he hands me a bottle of beer, "You know with some preppy guy who her parents approve of."
"Dude, I think that'll make him feel worse." Lawrence says taking a swig of beer.

**October 2003**
"This place better be good." I say to Mike as I wrap my arm around Claudia.
"Don't worry, I've heard nothing but good things about this place." Mike says rolling his eyes as he lead Sarah into the live music café. Billie and Adrienne are here already and they grabbed us a table.

"I'll get us some drinks." I yell over the music. I head to the bar and order a round of beer. I hand the bartender my credit card.
"Tre, is that you?" the bartender asks me. I look up at her face to see those familiar eyes.
"Evee?"
"Oh my god." She said in awe. "It's been like fifteen years, hasn't it?" I lean over the bar and give her a hug.
"So you work here now?"
"I'm the owner." She says proudly. "The Lookouts made quite an impression on me, I just couldn't leave behind the music scene."
"This place is awesome." I say nodding.
"Tre, is everything alright?" Claudia asks as she comes up to the bar.
"Evee, this is my wife Claudia."
"Nice to meet you." Evee says shaking her hand. Claudia knew of Evee before this slightly awkward moment. "My husband is playing on stage now."
"Which one?" I ask as I look at the four member band presently on stage.
"Guitarist to the right." She points out.

"It was good seeing you again." I say as I grab the beers and head back to our table.

-End-