Dark Beauty

A Ring and A Proposal

Andreas followed his lifemate into the parlor and sat in a seat across from the two seated couch she chose. He knew that if sat next to her, he wouldn’t be able to think, let alone talk. Instead, he leaned back in the chair and tried to content himself with watching her. Her hair was brown and pulled back into a bun at the base of her neck, but curls were sticking out in various places and it seemed unruly. Her eyes were dark, almost as dark as any Carpathians, but there was a tint of blue there that he could not quite understand. Her face was slightly childish making him wonder at her age. The skin that was visible was lightly tanned. It was not in a sun-kissed manner, but rather just a natural light darkness from some parent or other. Her body was covered in baggy clothes making him frown. He wanted to strip the concealing clothes away and see her for what she truly was.

“So what do you have to say for yourself?” She asked annoyed.

He smiled at that. She tried to be strong, his little lifemate, but was she? Was she really as strong as she led everyone to believe? “I have already told you mon seul,” Andreas said softly. “You are my lifemate, I refuse to leave you or to allow you to be away from me.”

“I will again poke the hole in your theory. Carpathians don’t exist. And neither do vampires for that matter. You can’t be real so therefore I am not your lifemate and this is a rather odd dream.”

Andreas chuckled, soft and deep. “My silly little one,” he said shaking his head amused. “You cannot explain me away. I am here and I have no intention of leaving. You are mine from now until beyond eternity.”

“Again, this would imply that Carpathians actually exist. If they existed, then when you tried to command me with your voice, I would have to obey and I haven’t yet.” She said smugly.

Andreas frowned this time. “Yes, that is a problem,” he growled annoyed.

The door that they had entered through open and people came into the room. They were loud, annoying, and undoubtedly human…every last one of them. “Hey Layla!” One of the males said coming over and hugging her. “I didn’t think you’d be out of your room today.”

Layla shrugged as she stood up to greet the newcomers. “I finished the book so I decided to take a walk.”

“And it led you to the parlor?” One of the females questioned.

Layla laughed. “I wish. No, I was actually outside. I promise. I just finished my walk now.”

As Andreas watched the exchange, he touched the minds of all those present. They were all innocent thoughts. Only friendship was directed towards his mate. He felt a little bit of annoyance that he could not understand at first, then he realized what it was. None of the males saw any beauty in his mate. He should appreciate that fact because it would mean that he wouldn’t have to kill any of them, but for some reason it didn’t. She deserved to worshiped and revered, but these males just saw her as another companion that could be recalled at their convenience. The thought maddened him, but he kept a stone mask.

“Hi, I’m Oliver,” one of the males said coming over to Andreas and extending his hand.

Andreas stood up and surveyed the younger male carefully. Layla, his Layla, was watching them carefully. The fear was evident in her eyes so Andreas slowly took the young male’s hand and shook it. “I am Andreas Dalca. I am Layla’s fiancé.”

Layla looked torn between killing Andreas and total horror that he had just uttered those words. “You’re engaged Layla!” The females said excitedly gathering around Layla. “Why didn’t you tell us? Where’s your ring? Why haven’t we met this guy before?” They demanded all at once.

“I am quite sorry,” Andreas cut in smoothly. “That was my fault. I have wanted to keep Layla to myself so I asked her to keep our relationship quiet. As for the ring, I have just asked Layla before you all entered. I had not yet had a chance to give it to her.” Andreas reached into his pocket and his fingers curled around the ring that had been his mother’s. He had always kept it close to him, now it would adorn the lovely finger of his lifemate. “I believe I would like to ask you again little one.” Andreas said moving forward to Layla and dropping to one knee. He looked deep into her dark eyes and held the ring out to her. “My beloved Layla, be my bride.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts going through my mind as Andreas Dalca proposed to me: Crap!; I want to kick your butt!; How dare you?; This is so romantic.; Why am I not saying yes?; That is a gorgeous ring.…among many other things. I stared back into his eyes that were as black as the darkest night. I wanted to say no, to tell everyone what a fraud this guy was, but I couldn’t open my mouth and say those words. Something deeper pulled at me. It told me to stop being so proud and stubborn. It was my heart, my soul, my very core. I bit my lip and took a deep breath. “Yes,” I whispered. “I will be yours.”

Andreas came up quickly and kissed me. Again, all my senses failed me. I couldn’t think, couldn’t function. I am not used to kissing. Sure, kiss your friends and family on the cheeks. Kissing, on the mouth…aha, uh, no. Sometime during this kiss, he took my promise ring off and replaced it with the ring he had held before the adoring audience called my friends. All the girls were sighing and swooning of course. He had put on quite the romantic show. The guys were staring with a mixture of annoyance and respect.

“I told you little one,” he whispered in my ear after he broke the kiss. “You are mine and I will not allow you to leave me.”

I leaned back and looked up at him with a grin. “I said I’d be yours, I never said I’d be submissive.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?