Dark Beauty

An Understanding

Andreas felt two emotions surge through him at Layla’s quiet announcement to him. They were equal parts of pride and annoyance. She was not weak his lifemate, but she made his part all the more difficult. He could feel the silent, buried beast trying to rear up inside him and take control. It wanted his Layla. It would destroy her will and he knew the moment the thought entered his mind that such a thing could never be allowed. He needed her more than life itself, but he could never allow her to be changed. She knew of Carpathians and their lifemates so she knew that he loved her and soon she would know that she loved and desired him too. The question was if he could wait that long. How long would it be before she would succumb to him?

“PDA,” The voice was unexpected. Andreas did not like the fact that he had been surprised by it. He could not allow his guard down. The wonder of finding his lifemate was distracting him more than he could allow, he would have to find a remedy to that and soon. He turned to look at the woman who had spoken. She was a few inches taller than his mate, but Andreas still had to look down to look at her eyes.

“Sorry about that Amy,” Layla’s voice was sheepish making Andreas put his arm around his mate protectively. He reached gently into the woman Amy’s mind and found the meaning of PDA: public display of affection. Apparently it was frowned upon in this place a fact that made Andreas’s frown turn into a scowl.

“You have no reason to apologize cara,” Andreas said pulling Layla to him and holding her against his chest. The feeling of her was intoxicating. He wanted to take her but knew he couldn’t. It wasn’t possible...yet. “Besides, is it so wrong for a woman to kiss or hold her fiancé? She has done nothing wrong.” He put a universal push on those last words making Layla frown. Layla thrust her elbow back with all her might at caught him in the stomach. Andreas barely felt it. He looked down at her curiously as she rubbed her elbow. “You should be careful little mate,” Andreas whispered in her ear. “I will not allow you to hurt yourself.”

“Allowing has nothing to do with it. I believe we have already had the discussion about control.” Layla hissed. She strained against his hold and he allowed her to move away though he didn’t like the emptiness that the distance brought. “Besides, we need to have this discussion privately.”

“Of course darling, whatever you would like,” Andreas said with a smile that made Layla frown. He wandered what she would say if she knew what he was thinking. She should know what he was thinking. Especially if what she said about these fiction books was true. “We can go to my home. It is not far from here and I can assure you that no one will disturb us.”

Layla narrowed her eyes suspiciously. Andreas liked the look. It had brought a slight flush to her cheeks that was barely visible. He wanted to touch it and see what she would do. “One condition.” Layla ordered.

“Possibly,” Andreas spoke cautiously. “It will all depend on what this condition is.”

Layla shrugged. “Nothing too much. I just need to be back here at the college by eleven o’clock on Sunday morning. No later.”

“And why would I do such a thing?” Andreas asked moving forward. Layla moved back. Soon she was pinned between him and the wall. She frowned and folded her arms across her chest.

“Because I have to be at work at elven o’clock Sunday morning. I am not missing work. You even try it; I’ll run away during the middle of the day.”

Andreas knew with a certainty that she would try it too. That was something that would not happen as long as he was around. She was his and no other would ever take her away from him. “It does not matter anymore. You need no longer work for anything. I will care for everything.”

Layla chuckled. “I don’t think you get it. This is my work study job. I have an obligation not to mention it helps me pay for college.”

“I shall pay all debts that you owe. You are mine. What is your concern is my own. You have no more obligations to this work.”

“Yes I do,” Layla said through gritted teeth as she glared at him. “I told my bosses that for as long as the cafeteria is open, I will go in on Sundays from eleven to two. You won’t make me out to be a liar now will you?”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as I said it, I knew he was going to give. The thought of honor being destroyed was too much for a man who had lived only for duty for however many centuries. It was all I could do to not smirk. Another point for me! “You may come, but you must bring any books you have in your possession concerning Carpathians.”

“Is that an order?” I asked quirking an eyebrow.

“Yes,” Andreas said without hesitation. His dark eyes gave no quarter. There was no question. There was no compulsion. I just knew I had to listen. This once, I would yield.

“Alright,” I said with a shrug. “I just have to check out and get stuff from my room. Do you think you can wait for about...ten minutes?”

Andreas was distant for a moment before he spoke. “Merge your mind with mine first.”

“What?” I said frowning. “How in the world am I supposed to do that?”

Andreas smiled. “Just reach for my mind. I know you can do it.” I sighed. It felt odd. It was like throwing my thoughts out into nothing. Then there was something there. It was him. It could only be Andreas. Hot, yet not in a bad way. It felt wonderful to allow myself to just become lost in him. I opened his eyes to see him smiling at me. “You did wonderful little one. I shall wait here.” He promised.

As I turned away from Andreas and went to check out, I allowed myself a grin and a small blush. So this was what it felt like to glow with pride. I could get used to this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, so you noticed Amy, she's actually a real life person. She was the head RA in the girl's dorms at my college my freshman/sophmore year.

Comments? Subscriptions? BOTH?!