Status: Earlier chapters are currently being change/updated. Read them again, maybe.

Arablest/ Prototype

Chapter 28. Escaping the Frying Pan and into the Fire

I wildly looked around. What could I do? I may have a lance, but I might not be able to hold off that thing.
I wasn’t very good with any weapon anyways, because I never had training, but I certainly was more comfortable with swords. Maybe lances, but I don’t know.
I quickly decided what to do, and placed the butt of the lance against the ground, like a pike, and pointed it against that thing.

Fortunately, Veronica managed to hit it with a javelin, and it veered off course. Which was lucky for me, I guess. I took advantage of that and ran towards Veronica, dropping the iron lance and shield.
“Veronica!” I shouted. “Can you get me out of here?”
“Of course!” She replied, leaping onto the back of her unicorn. “Grab on!”
She pulled me up in front of her, and we flew off, just in time, despite the fact that somehow I nearly fell off. The beast leaped at us, but we were already out of range.
“Do you know what that… thing was?” Veronica asked.
“I have no idea. Shouldn’t you know? You’ve been sent to do scouting missions and stuff, right?”
“That may be so, but I’ve never seen this creature before. This is interesting. I will have to report it to my captain.”
I looked around, and suddenly I realized how high we were flying. I leaned a little forward to secure myself more on the unicorn, making myself feel a little better.
“Um, could we fly a little lower? I’m not used to flying like this…”
“Scared of heights, are you?” chuckled Veronica. “Unfortunately, the lower I fly, the easier it is for potential enemy archers to shoot me down.”
“Scared of heights? I’m scared of falling off!”
“What’s the difference?” She asked. “You’re scared of heights.”
“Yeah, well, I think I like my own two feet on the ground.”
Veronica laughed. “Looks like our tactician does have a weakness!”
“Who doesn’t have a weakness, anyways?”I grumbled.
“Point taken,” Veronica replied, her voice suddenly changing to a more serious tone. “Was it you who killed all those soldiers?”
“Me? No, I’m a just some lowly tactician. I have no idea who killed them all.”
“You’re not that bad of a tactician! I’ve seen you in action already, and you’ve given me and your party nothing but great tactics!”
“Whatever.”
I was rather sick of hearing that all the time now. There’s no way I was that good, anyways, right? I wasn’t even the smartest person at my school or anything.
Maybe I was just lucky.
Although truth to be told, I’ve never been this lucky before.
And why was it me who appeared here, and not someone else? This place is… different, yes, but too dangerous for me. Why was I chosen to appear here? This isn’t can’t really be a dream, because I’ve felt pain… unless it’s all part of the hallucination I’m having. But would all this last for over at least a month now?

I’m pretty sure this was real.

Well, who knows.

“How old are you, anyways? You may be a good tactician, but you’re the youngest tactician I’ve ever seen.”
Veronica interrupted my thoughts, and suddenly I was on her unicorn again, flying through the sky.
“Wh-What did you say?” I stuttered, surprised and suddenly scared again at the height I was flying at. Seriously, if she hadn't distracted my train of thought I probably would have completely forgotten how high up I was. Ah well, I guess it can't be helped.
“I was just asking how old you are.”
“Why?” I asked, a little surprised.
“Well,” Veronica replied. “You’re a good tactician, but also the youngest I’ve ever seen. I was just curious…”
I thought about it. When I left my home town, I was about 16. I have no idea how much time passed here, and how much time had passed since then.
And the truth would have been closer to negative a few hundred years old, or so I guessed.
“I’m… about 16 years old, I guess. What about you?”
“Why do you ask?”
“Because, you asked me. It’s only fair that you tell me.” I replied.
“Ha! I like your way of thinking. Very well, I’ll tell you. I’m only two years older than you.”
What? An 18 year old unicorn rider? Did people fight so young here?
I thought about it for a moment, in silence.
“Surprised?” Veronica asked.
“Of course. Why are you fighting so young?”
“I could ask the same of you!”
“I don’t fight.”
“Well, you’re a tactician. How does someone as young as you come up with all those strategies? Usually only wise, old people become tacticians.”
I had to avoid the subject. I didn’t really ask to be tactician, anyways.
“Well, I’m one, anyways. Why are you fighting so young?”
“Well… It’s because our family is poor. My siblings and I have to go out and work so we can support the family. That’s why.”
I was silent for a while. I probably could never do something like that!
“Don’t tell anyone else that!” Veronica said, punching me, which completely unsettled me.
“Hey! Watch it! I could fall off!” I said, trying not to look down. “And does it really take this long to get back to camp?”
“Oh, I’m sorry. Are you scared? Here, let me make sure you won’t fall off.” Veronica said, wrapping her arms around me.
I immediately felt uncomfortable.
“Besides, even if you did fall off I'm sure I'll be able to catch you."
"D-Don't even t-think about it." I stuttered. Seriously, why are your arms still around me?
"Oh, and by the way, we’re not going back to where we camped out last night.”
“What?” I exclaimed. What was she trying to accomplish by doing this? “Bring me down there, already! And let go of me! You can talk to me on the ground, right?”
“I could…” Veronica replied. “But I’m not going to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So.

Comments?