Let It Be Told

15

Chapter 15

Oh yes. He was following, all right.

I could see his evil little eye looking right at me through the peephole. And because it was magnified, I could see every piece of sleep in his eyes and all the wrinkles around them.

He stepped back and I could see his whole body. He was still wearing his baby blue uniform, but because he was holding a golf club and a rope, he looked very, very scary.

Looking around me, I tried to find something I could protect myself with. Instead of finding something, however, I found someone.

“Gerard! Help! Please!” I cried when I saw him. He started, for he had been asleep on the couch before I yelled.

“Wassamatter? Issomebodyhurt?” Gerard slurred in that just-woke-up voice. I pointed at the door and explained that the ice-cream man was chasing me. When I was finished, he looked at me and said “When I give the signal, you open the door. Got it, Cathryn?” he asked me. I nodded in return and position myself so that I was behind the door, but I could also open the door when Gerard asked.

Going to the fireplace, he grabbed an ash poker from it’s little bin and stood behind the dining room table which was across the room from the door. He nodded at me and I presumed that was the signal. I turned the doorknob and opened the door. The ice-cream man ran in, looking around wildly for me. He spotted Gerard and his eyes narrowed. He walked slowly to the table, silently willing Gerard to come out from behind it. When he saw that Gerard wasn’t going to move, the ice-cream man ran around the table and chased Gerard. They ran around the table a few times until Gerard stopped suddenly, making the ice-cream man run into him. At such high speeds, running into a person can do great damage. The ice-cream man fell to the floor, knocked unconscious by the force of the blow.

I let out a shriek. “Is he okay?!” I asked Gerard.

He raised his eyebrows. “Why do you care?” he asked.

I shook my head. “I don’t. I just don’t want a dead body on the premises. Mom’ll totally freak.” I laughed slightly. Gerard didn’t smile.

“C’mon, Cathryn. Get serious. We need to call the police. Get me the phone, will you?” he commanded harshly. I looked at the floor, ashamed that I had been so immature at a time like this.

I retrieved the phone from it’s base and handed it to Gerard. I noticed how forcefully he grabbed the phone from out of my hand. A million thoughts raced through my head. Is he mad at me? What did I do? Was I not supposed to lead him to the house? Mabye I should’ve ran to the police station instead…

A hand was waved in front of my face. “Babes, you okay? I think you may have spaced out.” he said. When he saw the look on my face, he took me into his arms. “What’s the matter, Cathryn? Did I do something?” he asked.

I started to cry as I told him why I was upset. “Cathryn! Why would I get angry at you for coming here? If you would’ve ran to the station, he wouldn’t have followed you and he wouldn’t have gotten caught. You did the right thing. Honest.” he told me, looking straight into my eyes. My heart melted right there. His eyes had a look of total sincerity.

“We need to call the police before he wakes up, Gee.” He nodded and handed me the phone.

“Hello? Hi, My name is Cathryn Harper... There’s been a break-in.

………

“Yes. 98013 Ribaldi Street.

………

“He was going to. Had a golf club and a rope. No, nobody is hurt. Well, I mean, nobody besides the intruder.

…………

“What? No, my boyfriend defended me. No, he’s not dead. He’s just… unconscious.

………

“Bye.” I hung up the phone and yawned. “They’ll be coming in about 5 minutes.”

“Well,” said Gerard, hugging me tightly, “I guess we better wait, then.”

“Yeah… I guess we better wait…”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know... It's a little short...

Can I get three comments?