Status: active

Naturally

Meeting

Monday morning, I was woken up by someone pounding on my door.

I groaned and threw myself against my pillows, willing myself to go back to sleep. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

Eventually, I managed to pull myself out of bed and into the shower. When I was done, I did everything I needed to do to get ready, and trudged downstairs.

"Morning!" Mom chirped, placing a plate of toast in my spot at the table. I sat down and slowly began to eat.

"Mom, I have cheer practice after school, then the squad and the football team are going to the movies and maybe burgers," Taya said, picking at her grapefruit. Once again, she was trying to stay on a diet. I give her 'till lunch.

"Alright, hunny, that's fine," Mom said, sipping on her coffee. "Raven, what are you doing today?" I gave her a look. "Of course. That disgusting tunnel place. What's so important anyway?"

I rolled my eyes and pulled out my camera, showing her pictures of my mural. She made a noise in her throat, and I couldn't tell if it was approval or disgust.

"Oh! I wanna see!" Taya seized the camera and scrolled through my pictures, wrinkling her nose. "It's a little dark. Can't you throw some hearts and flowers in there? Maybe a little pink?"

I made a sound of annoyance and snatched my camera back.

"Mom!" Taya whined.

"Raven, don't snatch things. Taya, leave your sister's artwork alone. If she doesn't want it to look nice, that's her problem."

I turned on my heel and stomped out of the house, backpack and skateboard in tow. If I couldn't get any peace at home, and I knew I wouldn't get any at school, I would deffinentily get it after school painting.

I plugged my headphones in and skated to school. When I got there, I walked through the halls to my locker, avoiding any contact with any of the other kids.

"Hey Ray!" I looked up and saw Justin jogging up to me. I smiled and gave him a quick hug before opening my locker. I traded my paint bag for my school bag and slammed it shut. "Ready m'lady?" Justin linked arms with me and we continued down the hall.

Our first class, unfortunately, was French. The bell rang and everyone started heading to their classes. I groaned and layed my head on Justin's shoulder.

"Come on, we only have six hours to go," he said, dragging me along.

When we walked into class, I knew we were in for trouble. Madamoiselle Abney had that creepy project day grin.

Justin and I sat in our usual seats in the very back in the corner, hoping not to draw to much attention to ourselves. Justin was going on about this new painting he wanted to show me that some guy painted in the tunnel when Madamoiselle cleared her throat.

"Alright, kids, today is a special day!" she said excitedly. "It's project day!" The entire class groaned. "That's enough! Now, this project will be done in pairs." The class began to move around, each student trying to get to their friends first. "Freeze! I will be choosing the pairs!"

There was an uproar of objections, coming from every mouth, except mine and Justin's.

"Now, now! Setlle down!" Madamoiselle yelled. "Now, the pairs are:"

I droned out until I heard my name.

"Raven Price," my head snapped up. "and Connor Mason."

The whole class froze, but Madamoiselle didn't seem to notice. The same thought seemed to be racing through everyone's head. Connor, the loud, funny class clown, with Raven, the quiet, weird artist chick? The world must have stopped spinning the way everyone reacted.

I shrunk into my seat, trying to make myself disappear. Justin wrapped his arm around my shoulders and rubbed my arm, just as Connor turned around and smiled at me. I forced a small smile and turned away.

"It's alright, Ray. At least you didn't get paired with Katelyn!" Justin whispered, referring to the brunette sitting across the room, trying to catch his attention. Katelyn isn't exactly the smartest of people, and she has a huge crush on Justin. I gave him a look of pity as Madamoiselle told everyone to pair up. He stood and walked over to an over -excited Katelyn and soon after, Connor took his place.

"Hey partner!" he said happily. I couldn't help but grin and looked down hoping to hide it. "So, what do ya wanna do for the project?"

I thought for a moment before a thought popped into my head. I flipped open to a page in the book and pointed to it.

"Hmm eighteenth century art?" Connor said thoughtfully. "I like it!"

I grinned, and we got to work. Fifty minutes later, I walked out of French to meet up with Justin.

"Hey! Raven!" I turned and saw Connor walking toward me. He held out a peice of paper. "Text me, and we can work on that project." I nodded and he turned around, walking back to his friends.

Justin came up to me and slung his arm around my shoulder. "What was that about?" I shrugged and showed him the paper. "He gave you his number? OMG! He totally like you!" Once again, Justin was showing off his extreme flamboyant-ness.

"Shut up," I muttered.

Five hours later, Justin and I were skating out of school on our way to the tunnel.

"He really is cute!" He gushed as we walked into the tunnel. We waved to everyone and continued deeper in. I just rolled my eyes at my best friend. He's such a flamer.

Minutes later, I was back in my state, painting away. This time, it wasn't Justin who interupted me, it was the buzzing of my phone, telling me I had a text message. I set my spray can down, and pulled out my phone. The screen said unknown number.

I flipped open my phone and read:

Hey! Its Connor :)

I made a face and replied.

how did youget my #?

Minutes later, I got an answer.

Your friend. Justin, I think.

I stomped over to my friend and punched him in the shoulder.

"Hey! What was that about?" he demanded. I shoved the phone in his face. He raised an eyebrow, then a look of realization crossed his face. "Oh, that! Yeah, he wanted your number, so I gave it to him."

I punched him again and went back to my painting.

Oh, he didn't tell me he gave it to you

I didn't get much done that afternoon, due to me texting Connor. The entire way home, Justin went on and on about how we were gonna end up together. I just shook my head and kept skating.

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow, toots," Justin said as we reached my house. "Have fun texting Connor!"

I just shook my head and walked up the front steps, into my house.

"Hey Champ!" the door to my dad's studio was open a little and I walked inside. He was at his easel, hard at work. I walked up and stood behind him. "What do you think?"

I studied the canvas for a moment.

"It's amazing," I whispered. Dad looked up and beemed at me. He always looks so much younger when he paints. It's like the acrylics lift ten years of stress off of his shoulders.

"You think so? It isn't exactly finished, yet, but it's pretty close." he turned back around and concentrated on every little stroke he made.

My phone buzzed and I flipped it open. Once again, it was Connor.

Want to hang out tomorrow after school? We can go to my place and work on the project.

I froze for a second. His house? I've never hung out with anyone besides Justin before. How should I act? What should I do?

Sure

An answer came back soon.

Cool, see you tomorrow ;)

I sighed and went up to my room. Tomorrow is going to come to soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?