‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

Critical

“There's a storm coming up and I gotta prepare myself 'cause this feeling is getting stronger every day, Something is creeping inside everything is about to change, Gotta face the fact that I can't walk away, This is critical I'm feeling helpless, So hysterical and this can't be healthy I can't eat or sleep when you're not with me, Baby, you’re the air I breath, This is critical.” – Jonas Brothers

The room was filled with broken furniture and a trail of blood lead to Melody. It looked like it belonged in a horror movie. Nick stepped over broken glass and pieces of furniture it seemed to take far too long to reach Melody’s lifeless body. Her hair covered her face and he pushed it away to see her face unrecognizable underneath the blood. Her breathing was slow and labored. Nick took out his phone and franticly called 911. He gave Melody’s address and condition to the 911 operator before hanging up and clutching onto Melody’s hand.

“Mel, please wake up.” Nick said hot tears sliding down his face. “I need you to wake up Melody.”

Nick swiped at his tears angrily, “Melody, wake up.”

When there was still no response Nick broke down. He never thought he would ever see her
like this; he never wanted to see her like this.

“I’ll kill whoever did this to you Mel. I promise you he will get what he deserves.” Nick said his anger almost hard to control.

It didn’t take long for the paramedic’s and police to show up. Melody was quickly taken to the hospital while Nick was forced to stay and talk to the police.

“Why were you here?” One of the police men asked Nick, he had a note pad in hand.

“Melody called me, she said she needed help.” Nick recounted quietly. “When I got here she was laying on the ground unconscious.”

There were more questions asked and as the minutes pasted Nick became increasingly irritated. All he wanted was to make sure Melody was ok. Finally after all their questions were asked Nick was free to go to the hospital to see Melody.

Once at the hospital he was informed he wasn’t allowed to know anything since he wasn’t family, all he found out was she was in ICU. He paced the halls until his legs grew tired, he refused to leave until he could see Melody. He ignored all calls while he was at the hospital, he didn’t want any distractions from Melody.

After a few hours Nick sat quietly in a corner of the waiting room. The first people to come into the room since he had arrived that came in arguing. They looked like they could be twins their features were so similar, the only difference was the women had obviously been crying. The man turned to look around the room and Nick met his eyes. Nick faintly recognized him from somewhere. The man spoke to Nick his voice hostile.

“What are you doing here?”

Nick was taken aback from the man’s tone. “Excuse me?”

The women spoke up glaring at the man next to her. “Sorry about him. I’m Kelsey, this is my brother Brad.”

The names sounded familiar to Nick. “You’re Melody’s friends.”

“Yeah, have you heard anything? The nurses refuse to tell us anything.” Kelsey said walking over to sit next to Nick. “We never would have even known she was here if the police hadn’t come over to question us.”

“Why would they question you?” Nick asked ignoring Brad’s presence across the room.

“Oh you know how it is with this kind of crime they always suspect the boyfriend, especially if he was the last to be seen with her.” Kelsey said glancing at Brad before looking back at

Nick. “How did you find out?”

Nick glanced at Brad and noticed a cut on his cheek and bruised knuckles. It looked like he had gotten into a fight. At that moment Nick knew who did this to Melody.

“It was you.” Nick said standing from his chair. “You hurt her.”

Brad just looked at Nick without saying anything. Nick took a step toward him his fists clenched.

“Why did you do this?” Nick yelled.

“I didn’t do shit.” Brad said with a smug smile.

Nick lunged at Brad knocking him to the ground. Nick didn’t waste any time in punching every inch of Brad he could reach. He was suddenly pulled off of him and restrained by a security officer. Nick struggled to get to Brad again.

“Settle down now or get thrown out of the hospital.” The officer holding Nick said.

“Both of you need to go take a walk away from each other, if this happens again police will be called.” The officer holding Brad back said. “We will follow you guys in opposite directions until you both have calmed down.”

Nick grudgingly let himself be lead away from Brad down the hall. He knew now wasn’t the time to confront Brad. He had to focus on Melody getting better. After a long walk around the hospital Nick was allowed to return to the ICU waiting room. Kelsey was the only one sitting in the room when he arrived back.

“I told him to go home.” Kelsey said when Nick walked in the room. “I think he did it too but I can’t prove it.”

Nick fell into a chair across from Kelsey. He looked out the window where the sun was now completely up. He knew he should call Grace and let her know what was going on. He just didn’t have the energy to deal with her.

“Why do you think it’s him?” Nick finally asked Kelsey.

“He came home with blood on his clothes. He swears it was from a nose bleed and he got rid
of them as soon as he could. I told the police this but they couldn’t find them anywhere.” Kelsey explained her voice cracking as a fresh batch of tears made their way to the surface. “I can’t believe this is happening.”

“We’ll find a way to prove him guilty.”

Nick took out his phone to check his messages and finally call Grace. She wasn’t happy he hadn’t called her but after he explained what happened she forgave him. With that out of the way he sat back in his chair and shut his eyes. He needed some rest and even though this wasn’t the best place to sleep he was determined to not leave Melody alone. All he wanted was Melody with him, happy and healthy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this chapter didn't come out how I wanted it to but it'll do. I hope you guys liked it.
Please comment!!
: )