‹ Prequel: Black Keys
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed!

What Can I Say?

This Can't Be happening

“Well love turns into hate and you're persistent, well its persistently killing me, 'cause I remember when I could run to you and your arms would be wide open and you would carry me, this can't be happening its just not fair, will someone wake me up this is a nightmare, the girl of all my dreams is now my worst fear will you please help me out 'cause she's just not there, well in and out our our was like the current but I don't think it's coming back now, 'casue I remember when I was down and broken you would come to me and pull me through.” – Josh Golden

Nick continued to pace the hospital halls the next day. He was still not allowed to see Melody until she was out of ICU; they still refused to give him information on her condition either. All they would tell him was she was in a coma but she could wake up at any time, and hopefully there would be no permanent damage. He hadn’t seen Brad since their fight but Kelsey had been in and out throughout the day waiting to hear any news about Melody.

“You should really go home Nick.” Kelsey said while they sat in the hospital cafeteria eating lunch. “I’ll stay here while you go home and rest and shower.”

Nick sighed knowing he had to go home at some point; he was starting to get angry messages from Grace. Nick finished his sandwich before answering Kelsey.

“I guess that isn’t a bad idea. “

“Good, now you go and take as much time as you need. I’m free for the while night.” Kelsey said. “If anything happens I will call you right away.”

Nick thanked Kelsey before slowly leaving the hospital. It was a short drive back to his apartment. The first thing he wanted to do was take a long hot shower. That was exactly what he did. He let the scolding hot shower relive the tension in his muscles from the restless nights of sleep in the hospital. He tried not to think about Melody as he took his shower, but his thoughts continued to bring into his mind. Not matter how hard he tried there was no way of forgetting the way she sounded when she called or the way she looked when he found her. He didn’t get out of the shower until it went icy cold. Feeling more relaxed he got into bed and tried to clear his mind long enough to get a small nap in.

What was supposed to be a small nap turned into a twelve hour nap, the only reason Nick even woke up was the annoyingly persistent ringing of his door bell.

He stumbled out of his bed slightly disoriented from sleep. He threw open his door and came face to face with Grace.

“Why didn’t you tell me you came home?” She asked pushing past Nick. “I’ve been calling you all day.”

Nick stayed by the door watching as Grace made herself comfortable in his living room, and as he watches her all he can think is how wrong it looks. It shouldn’t be Grace sitting on his couch talking about weekend plans. It should be Melody with him.

“Grace.” Nick said walking into the living room. “I think you should leave.”

Grace looked at Nick like he was crazy. “Excuse me?”

The pretty blond stood up her hands on her hips waiting for Nick to respond.

“I’m sorry but right now I don’t want to be making plans for this weekend or any weekend. I need to be there for Melody without any distractions.” Nick explained.

“She has a boyfriend, Nick; she doesn’t need you to protect her. I’ve been pretty cool with this but this is the final straw. Either you spend time with me tonight, and this weekend or we’re through.”

“Fine. Bye Grace; have a nice life.”

****

Nick arrived back at the hospital an hour later to find Brad and Kelsey sitting in the waiting room. It took all of Nick’s self-control to not attack Brad again. Instead he ignored him and talked to Kelsey.

“Hey, did anything happen?” He asked sitting on a chair next across from Kelsey.

“I was going to call you. They said she woke up and she will be allowed to have visitors tomorrow.” Kelsey said with a huge smile.

“That’s great!” Nick exclaimed.

“Don’t get too excited, she won’t want to see you.” Brad sneered.

Nick decided to be the bigger man and ignore Brad and his comments. Kelsey turned on Brad and told him to go home if he was going to be an asshole. Nick was just happy that Melody was going to be ok. At home Nick celebrated by having a few drinks. While he wasn’t getting drunk every day, all day, anymore he was still a heavy drinker. This was all he needed to get to sleep that night; he fell asleep with a smile on his face and thoughts of Melody lingering.

****

Nick had a spring in his step as he walked the hospital halls. His smile never faltering as he neared Melody’s new room, Kelsey was already with Melody. Just as he was about to open the door to her room he heard his name being called.

“Nick, wait!” Kelsey called from down the hall.

Nick stopped and turned toward Kelsey.

“You can’t go in there.” Kelsey said when she reached him. “I was just about to call you and tell you not to come today.”

“Why?” Nick asked confused.

“She doesn’t want to see you.” Kelsey said. “She doesn’t want to see you ever again.”

Melody could hear every word being said between Nick and Kelsey outside of her door. She held Brad’s hand with her unbroken hand. He smiled at her before kissing her knuckles.

“I love you baby.” He said looking into her eyes. “I’m going to change, I promise.”

Melody smiled at her boyfriend, “I love you too.”

Nick stormed away from Kelsey not wanting her to see his pain. He thought Melody would want to at least thank him in person, not send someone else to do it for her. If she didn’t want him then he was determined not to want her anymore. His first stop before home was to the liquor store. It was time to drown the pain.
♠ ♠ ♠
well this did not go as I had planed! Now I'm going to have to really think about where this is going. But I hope you all liked this and hopefully I can get Nick and Melody back together soon ;) but in the mean time there might not be too much Melody in the next chapter, I kind of want to be focused on Nick for now. anyway....COMMENT!!!
: )