‹ Prequel: Guilty Pleasures
Status: Complete

An Old Beginning

Chapter 14

Gerard took a step closer, noticing how close he was to Naomi, as well when he felt his heartbeat pick up at their proximity. Michael slowly lifted his head, looking at the new man.

“Does he say anything?” Gerard asked, his eyes darting between the two.

“A few words,” Naomi replied. “‘Hi’, ‘juice’, ‘baby’, ‘Mama’.”

“What about ‘Daddy’?” Gerard asked with trepidation.

“No,” Naomi said softly.

“Not even with Billie?” Spike asked, practically spitting out the name of the
new man in Naomi's life.

“Billie's not his father,” she whispered, making sure Gerard was looking directly in her eyes. “He’s Uncle Billie. I made it clear from the beginningthat he wouldn’t be filling the position of Daddy.”

“Just the position of lover,” he muttered under his breath.

Naomi rolled her eyes. “Good, more jealous guy crap, that’s exactly what I was hoping for…”

Naomi trailed off when Michael held out his little arms to his father. Gerard's eyes widened as he took the little boy from his mother, feeling his throat close and his eyes water as he held his flesh and blood for the first time.

Naomi could feel her eyes watering. Biting her bottom lip to try and hold back her tears, she quickly blinked them away when Gerard turned toward her.

“Before I forget, this is for you,” he said, pulling a slip of paper out of his pocket.

Naomi gave him a curious look, unfolding the paper and gasping for breath. “Gerard?”

“It’s everything I would have spent on Michael if I’d been there from the beginning,” he said, watching her carefully.

“No,” Naomi said, shaking her head and staring at the check. “This is much more than you would have spent. Gee, where did you get this?”

“I’ve been saving since you left,” he said with a shrug, turning his attention back to his son. “It was the least I could do. No arguments. If I’d been able to get to you, you would have had it a lot sooner.”

“Get to me?”

“I wanted to find you,” he murmured. “But I knew if I just showed up before you were ready to see me, it would have done more harm than good.

“You’re probably right,” Naomi whispered with tears in her eyes. “Thank you.”

She was still staring at it the check in shock when the phone began ringing. Turning to answer it, she tried to catch her breath.
“Hello?” she said in a choked voice.

“Hey, baby,” The voice said on the other end.

“Billie? It hasn’t even been an hour.”

“I know,” he replied. “But I was making a reservation at Twilight for tonight, and I wanted to make sure you kept your schedule clear.”

“Um…okay.”

“Do you think your mom can baby-sit?”

Naomi turned, watching as Gerard sat on the couch with Michael, bouncing the little boy on his knees as they both laughed. She felt herself tear up again as she smiled at the display. “Don’t worry about it. I have someone in mind.”

---------
*Ponders* I wonder who on earth she could have in mind.. >=)
I am an evil little thing.. I want Gerard to get Mikey to sleep.. Then pounce on Naomi.. But alas. That would have no meaning (Aside from the joy I would get from writing the hot sex scenes I have missed oh so much.) so I digress. Comment?