‹ Prequel: Guilty Pleasures
Status: Complete

An Old Beginning

Chapter 19

Naomi hung up the phone, feeling as if she was moving in slow motion. She sat still for several long minutes, not sure why she felt so much anxiety at the thought of seeing Gerard again.

Naomi looked up, hearing the soft knock on the door of her bedroom.“Honey,” Donna said quietly as she opened the door for her. “Billie's here to see you.”

“And so my night is complete,” Naomi muttered, letting her head drop into her hands. “Tell him I’ll be down in a minute.”

“Okay,” Donna said quietly.

Naomi stared at herself in the mirror. She could see so many different reflections looking back at her. The loving mother, the attentive girlfriend, and somewhere, buried deep, was the girl who she had once been. The girl who had stayed after school for a tutoring session and ended up finding a man who she would hold in her heart forever…and who in turn, would hold her heart forever.

Taking a deep breath, Naomi stood up, walking down the stairs, gripping the banister as she got to the bottom and saw Billie standing there with a sheepish look on his face.

“Outside,” Naomi said softly, walking past him and out onto the front porch.

“I came by to apologize,” Billie said quietly as the door shut behind him.

Naomi crossed her arms over her chest, closing herself off to the man in front of her. “I guess I owe you one, too.”

“This is just a lot for me to deal with, Naomi.”

“I know,” Naomi replied, swallowing hard. “But it’s hard on me, too,” she whispered with tears in her eyes. “And I really needed your support, and you haven’t even…”

Billie took a step forward to comfort her, mildly surprised when she stepped
back.

“I think we need to spend some time apart,” she said softly, avoiding his eyes.

“Naomi-“

“It’s for the best, Billie. I need some time.”

“Because of Gerard?” Angel asked through gritted teeth.

“Because of a lot of things,” she whispered.

“Like what?”

“It’s just…Billie I don’t love you.”

“I know that,” he replied calmly.

“And if I never love you…you’re okay with that?”

This was the same conversation they’d had several months before, but things were much different now.

“I don’t know,” he replied truthfully.

Naomi took a deep breath. “You’ve been so good to me and Mikey…and no matter what, you’re always welcome to see him, but…”

She trailed off, not knowing how to go about doing this.

Billie took a deep breath, obviously trying to control his temper as he nodded.

Naomi felt tears spill down her cheeks as he turned and walked away. She watched as he pulled out of the driveway before telling her mother that she
was leaving, as well. She decided to walk to Gerard's, needing some time to herself.

-----------
I cut Billie a little slack. I didnt want her to just scream "YOU'RE NOT GERARD. FRIG OFF!" Because.. Well Gerard's cute =D Billie is not. He is not Gerard. Therefore he is not perfect in Naomi's eyes.