‹ Prequel: Guilty Pleasures
Status: Complete

An Old Beginning

Chapter 25

Donna had dropped off Michael everyday and come back a few hours later to pick him up. She hadn’t mentioned Naomi, and Gerard had restrained from asking about her, but today he couldn’t resist. It was killing him knowing that she was so close, but he couldn't have her.

‘I hope I gave her enough time to cool off.’

Picking up Michael, Gerard walked to the car and greeted Donna as she stepped out.

“Did you two have fun today?” Donna asked, smiling when her grandson giggled and reached for her.

“Yeah, we had a good time,” Gerard said with a small smile. “Donna, I was wondering…well, I…”

“Are you going to make me stand here all day or ask about my daughter?” Donna asked with a soft smile.

Gerard grinned, shoving his hands in his pockets. “What are the odds that she would slam the door in my face if I came over?”

“Right now? Pretty low, considering she’s not there.”

“Where is she?” Gerard asked, his head tilting, brow furrowed in confusion.

Donna sighed, setting Michael on the ground and watching as he ran off to grab a rubber ball lying on the driveway. “She’s in Chicago.”

Gerard restrained every impulse in his body to yell. “What’s she doing in Chicago?” he asked in a deceptively low tone.

“She’s got a job interview.”

Gerard felt his heart seize in his chest as his breathing became labored. “When did she leave?”

“A few days ago,” Donna replied. “She’ll be back tonight.”

I’m not hanging around here until you get tired of me.

Naomi's words haunted Gerard as he closed his eyes. “She hasn’t even graduated,” he murmured, almost to himself.

“My sister has a friend who owns an art gallery there,” she explained. “She’s been bragging about Naomi for so long that the owner wanted to meet her. She’s willing to let Naomi take the time to finish school part-time in Illinois, if she wants her to take the position.”

Donna looked at the heartbreaking expression on Gerard's face and gave him a sympathetic look as she picked up Michael and put him in his carseat.
Turning to face him again, Donna gave him a small smile. “She’ll be home at nine. Maybe you should stop by and talk to her.”

-------------
Sorry for the wait, again!
Comments are appriciated =)