Vampire Himemeya (Vampire Princess)

Chapter 5

When I woke up the sun was bright and instantly gave me a headache. I closed the curtains and sat back on my bed. The room was quiet. The only sound was coming from the birds outside.

I wish I could be like those birds. They were happy. They knew what they were and didn't have a worry in the world. That was a dream that would never seem to work out for me.

The knock on my door startled me but I relaxed when I heard Mitsuki call me. "Come in!" I yelled back. Mitsuki walked in. She was wearing a bright yellow dress with little pink flowers that were spread through out the dress. "Well, someone looks fancy." She grinned then looked at herself in my body length mirror.

"Really? Ya think so? I don't really wanna look over dressed."

"I'm kidding. You look great. Where are you going anyway?"

"I was invited to go to the town with someone." I looked at her skeptically. It wasn't that I couldn't believe that she was asked out; it was the fact that she accepted.

"So who is it?"

"She lives downtown."

"Hmm. A 'she' huh?"

"Yes." She wasn't really paying attention to the conversation because she was too busy going through my closet for something.

"I thought you were only interested in guys."

"Yeah, well, so did I. I'm just giving it a try. I need to get away for awhile. Escape from the sadness, ya know?" She turned to me holding a small black sweater. "Do you have this in white?"

"Do I wear white?"

"Good point. Umm you're okay with the whole...Uhh...Ya know…Liking a girl thing?" Mitsuki asked. I stood up and walked over to her then hugged her.

"Of course I am. You’re my best friend. I don't care who you like as long as that doesn't change you for the worst." She nodded then hugged me back. "What time are you meeting her? She looked at the clock on my nightstand.

"Crap! I gotta go. I'm gonna be late." She waved as she ran out the door but not before shouting, "Wish me luck!"

"Good luck!" I yelled back to her then looked at the clock. This is good. Now that she's going on her date I can ask Kazuki some questions.

After I took a quick shower and ate, I went to Kazuki's room. I hesitantly knocked on the door. A voice that sounded like a whisper responded, "Come in." When I entered I saw him laying with his leg parched up on a pillow and a bandage wrapped around his head. "What are you doing here?" I was already regretting this little visit.

"Come on. Must you be an ass? I just came to see how you were feeling."

"As you can see, I'm happy-dandy. I'm even dancing!"

"Cut the crap, Kazuki. Why do you hate me anyway? I never did anything to you."

"I never said I hated you," he replied meekly.

"You could've fooled me." He didn't saying anything then attempted to sit up but failed as he fell back into the bed then moaned in pain. Without thinking about it, I walked over and tried to help him as I ignored his groans as the twisted ankle took it effect. "There. Is that better?" I said when he was sitting up right.

"Yeah. Uhh...thanks." I was shocked by his sudden gratefulness.

"Um. No problem." Why was I suddenly nervous?

"Do you...really think I hate you?" How do I respond to that? He looked as nervous as I felt.

"Umm..I do know. You act like it...sometimes."

"Oh. Well...I'm sorry. I didn't want you to think that." Completely shocked, I couldn't think of anything to say. It seemed like hours before I collected myself enough to respond.

"Oh. Well that's alright. So how's your leg?"

"Alright. Doc said it's just twisted."

"That’s good. And your head?"

"I liked the bandages so I asked him if he could wrap my head." I returned his grin.

"I'm sorry."

"Why are you saying sorry? You didn't do this to me." He looked surprised when he replied.

"Yes, it is. It's all my fault that they would even come here!" I was getting emotional again. My vision was getting blurry until the pool of tears fell down my face.

"No, it's not. And who's 'they'? Do you know who did this? Because I couldn't see anything."

"I don't know for sure but I think I have an idea. And I can't tell you. Sorry."

"Rini, you can tell me anything." Kazuki's words gave me a shock. Nobody had ever addressed me by my middle name. I usually hate it, but from him it sounded perfect, so right.

"I can't. I-I-I just can't." He didn't try to fight back. He just wrapped his arms around me then pulled me to sit beside him on the bed. He whispered soothing words into my ear while buried my face into his warm and, though he was hurt; strong, chest. My tears had stopped and my body had stopped shaking, I looked up at him. His eyes were the brightest green I've ever seen as he looked down at me.

"You okay?" He looked down at his hand that I was unaware of holding. I pulled my hand back and felt my face heat up while he just sat there and smirked.

"Something funny?"

"Just your reaction," he said with a cocky grin.

"My reaction?"

"Yeah. Your face is beat red right now."

"No." Even I knew that was a lie.

"Relax." He moved closer to me. His face was only a couple inches away from my own. I didn't move though. I realized that I wanted him to kiss me. I wanted him more then I've ever wanted anything in my life.

Becoming impatient, I moved in slowly. I was just about to kiss him when I heard the door open.
"Oh! I'm so sorry! I'll leave right away." The elderly nurse was red with embarrassment as I quickly jumped off the bed.

"No, no. Please, go on with what you were about to do. Check up, right? Yeah I'm gonna go." I rambled on and on as I ran out of the room; mentally telling myself to shut up. Did that really just happen? Did I almost kiss Kazuki? On my on will, for that matter. My life was getting way too complicated.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one took a little while