Vampire Himemeya (Vampire Princess)

Chapter 6

I needed air. But every place I went felt crowded so I wandered around aimlessly. The air was warm and had a gentle breeze that was coming from the beach that wasn't more then a mile away. Before I realized it, I was walking to the beach. I could have some time to think to myself down there. 

The beach was clear. The only sound was the waves slowly washing upon the shore. I sat down on the bench and stared out to the sea. I still couldn't understand what just happened. I must've been caught up in the moment or at least that's the excuse I was giving myself. I couldn't think about this right now. People were in danger and some random vampire was out to get them. 

Kazuki said he didn't see his attacker. And the only other witness was missing; probably dead. But I couldn't let anyone know that. The humans would panic and that would make things worse. 

I took my shoes off and began walking on the warm white sand. This was one of my favorite places in the whole kingdom. The water was never too cold and the sand felt wonderful under my bare feet. I walked so that the water brushed against my toes.

The water reminded me of the first time I had ever met Mitsuki. 

(Flashback)

The sun was shining and the beach wasn't crowded but there were a couple people scattered across the smooth, white sand. I had come here with Kokuou. When he learned  that I have never seen a beach, he gathered up a picnic basket and took me to the beach. 

It was only a year after he had found me outside his house. Kokuou decided that he was going to bring a maid from the palace. Then a tiny girl came into view. She looked my age. Her hair was curly and black. The freckles on her cheeks are clearly visible. 

"Um. Hi.", she said. Her voice was  was quite. And she was clearly shy because she kept looking down at her feet.

"Hello. I'm Anju.", I said with a smile. 

"I'll go set up the blanket.", Kokuou said as he walked away leaving us awkwardly standing there.

"I'm Mitsuki." She held her hand out for me to shake. I gripped her hand and felt her pulse. I pulled my hand and stepped back. "Is everything alright? Your hands were really cold.", she asked with deep concern. 

"Uh. Yeah. It's just..nevermind." Just then there was a breeze and the air was filled with her scent. It was enriching and sweet. I quickly covered my nose and mouth.

"Are you sure? You look like your gonna be sick. Maybe I should get Kokuou."

"No!", I yelled while putting my hands up to stop her. I knew how much he wanted to go on this trip and he would be disappointed to have to go home. 

"Alright. Jeez. Is there anything I can help you with then?" She had gotten the point when I stepped back the second time. So she just stood there, unmoving.

"Umm. No. I don't think you can."

"Why do you keep covering your nose? Do you have a nose bleed? My mommy showed me how to stop it." She smiled at the mention of her mother but her smile soon turned into a very saddened face.

"No. It's not a nose bleed. You just...smell."

"I smell? I took a shower before..."

"No, no! You smell good. Really really good."

"Oh. That's kinda creepy."

"Look, it's not my fault your blood isn't like anything I've sme-" I cut myself off when I realized what I had just said. 

"What? My blood?"

"Um no. I said hair. Your shampoo smells pretty. That's what i said."

"No you didn't. You said blood." I sat down on the sand and put my head in my hands. 

"Im dead. I'm so so dead." 

Mitsuki took a step closer to me and sat down. "You can tell me. I promise I won't tell. I'm really good at keep secrets." I looked up to find her smiling. She looked like I could tell her. And I couldn't sense anything bad about her. 

"Ok. But you promise?"

"Pinky promise."

"I'm a vampire." She didn't respond. She just kept smiling. 

"Thats so cool! But why are you covering your nose?"

"Your blood smells really good. I can't usually control it. But...I don't know."

"Oh. Um do you want some?" She was serious and didn't look scared at all.

"No. I can't."

"Why not? "

"I just can't! Okay? You may smell good but I don't wanna hurt you."

"I don't really know you but you don't seem like someone that would hurt me. I can tell you don't want to leave. So just drink some. Maybe that will make you stop." I considered what Mitsuki said. She was right. I really didn't want to spoil his day. But I haven't had blood in more then a week. And it would be worse if I lost control.

"Fine. But I'm not gonna suck you dry like the stories." She nodded then turned her head to the side. "No.", i told her.

"What?"

"People could see that. Give me your wrist." She nodded again then gave me her right wrist. I sunk my teeth into her skin. Then her blood exploded on my tounge. This was the best blood I've ever tasted. It was just as good as it smelled. I quickly pulled away and looked around to see if anyone had noticed. Coast was clear. I looked at Mitsuki who was staring at her wrist in amazment.

"Where is it?", she asked.

"Wheres what?"

"The mark or bruise?"

"I can see it. You can't?"

"Nothings there. Did you even drink any?"

"Of course I did. I can see it clearly."

"Well I don't. Maybe it's just a vampire thing."

"Maybe." Just then Kokuou walked up to us. We spent the rest of the day chatting and playing with the sand. Ever since, Mitsuki and I have been best friends. It probably wasn't a good idea to drink her blood and tell her I was a vampire but she hasn't told anyone. And I don't think she will.

(Present)

"Hey." I turned around to see him walking toward me, smiling that smile that was giving me butterflies.