Status: Complete and edited

Love Will Keep You Up All Night

05

****
Scoring the first goal always felt really good, but today it felt even better. Maybe it was because of the brunette sitting in the stands, wearing his Winter Classic jersey, and cheering for him like he just scored the winning goal. It made him a bit more nervous then normal, but Sidney fed off that nervousness and made the best of it. He wanted to win this game for her. When he went back to the bench without knowing it, his eyes darted to where her and her family was sitting and searched for her gaze. When he founded it his breath caught and his heart rate increase even more than it had when he scored, he winked and watched as she blushed and her mouth fell open. He was playing with fire and he knew it. This was not healthy.

As much as he tried he couldn’t keep her out of him mind. The way she looked at him when he gave his pep talk to the team or the way she cheered with them. Now, as he was being congratulated by his teammates, he could feel her eyes on him. He mentally shook his head and focused on the game in front of him.

****

It’s no big deal, he winked. Friends wink at friends all the time. I told myself as I tried to calm my heart rate. He was just being nice. I tried to keep my attention on the game, but my gaze kept flickering to the number 87 sitting in front of me. I knew my dad noticed the wink, but he didn’t say anything, so neither was I. Max came to the bench and spotted me, he smiled and waved. I had to laugh because he looked like a little kid.

I was able to concentrate on the game, but only for a little bit because Sidney was now on the ice and I followed him. I cringed when Richards slammed Sidney into the boards and the crowd cheered. That didn’t stop him from taking a shot on Emery, which he deflected. When the first period ended the score was 1-0.

The second period was a lot more exciting. Jordan got into a fight and was in the penalty box. The Flyers scored on that penalty, buto nce the Pens were back at full strength Geno scored another goal giving the Pens the lead. The period continued without anymore goals, but there were more penalties.

At the start of the third Sidney scored again. Dad and I were going crazy. Everyone hugged him or slapped his helmet. When our eyes locked I gave him a double thumbs up and he removed his glove and held up four fingers and then pointed to me. I knew what that meant, that goal was for me. I tried not to think too much into the gesture and watch the game. They ended up winning the game, which was an amazing since it was my first game. I wanted to stay after and congratulate the team, but dad wanted to go because traffic was going to be crazy.

“That was an amazing game!” I exclaimed when we got into the parking lot.

“You looked like you were having fun.” Dad said, unlocking the car.

“I was, even if they lost I still would have had a great time. Looks like the paper was wrong again.”

Dad laughed. “They were right about Crosby’s game.”

“I know!” I giggled. I actually giggled. I wonder if my dad realizes that my insides are totally flipping around. I really needed to talk to mom.

“He did do well tonight.” Grandpa said

“Two goals and an assist.”

I was calming down as we made our way out of the parking lot. I looked around at all the people walking around. Those who were wearing orange jerseys did not have happy faces on, those who were wearing black and gold or blue jerseys were all smiling and talking happily. By the time we finally got out of the parking lot I was falling asleep.

****

Sidney was tired; all he wanted to do was sleep. He had tried calling Taylor after the game, but got her voicemail. Tonight’s game was an amazing win, but his happiness died a little bit when he got to the locker room and didn’t see Taylor. He thought maybe she was still in the stands, so he waited as long as he could for her. She never showed up. He was a bit crushed, more than he should have been. They were just friends, but friends still felt crushed when they didn’t see each other.

Once he got home, Sidney opened the door to his room and threw his gear in its corner. Walking to his closet, he stripped off his suit jacket and loosened his ties. After he placed the suit back on a hanger he grabbed a worn t-shirt and basketball shorts. He pulled down the covers and climbed in, turning on the TV at the same time.

“What is it about her?” Sidney wondered. He had told her that he would stop by on Friday, but then Max told him that he should wait. So, he was going to not see her again for the rest of the week. He had things he needed to do anyway. He was going to give Taylor the cold shoulder after tomorrow. He needed to get her off his mind.

****

I woke up the next morning with a head ache and sore throat. I groaned and covered my face as the sun penetrated my eyelids. I threw back the covers and went to take a shower, hopefully that would help my grogginess.

“I should call Sidney today.” I whispered as I rinsed the conditioner out of my hair.

After brushing my hair and teeth and putting my contacts in, I got dressed. I walked out into the dining room to find only dad sitting at the table.

“Where’s grandma and grandpa?” I asked yawning.

“Grandpa is at work and grandma went to the grocery store.”

“Oh.” I yawned again. “Did you bring any aspirin?”

“In my bathroom bag.”

I got aspirin and then made myself some tea. Dad and I sat in silence for a while. Then dad spoke up.

“Taylor, is there something going on between you and Sidney?” And there it was. The question that I was waiting for.

“No, we’re just friends. Why?”

“Because you have been acting different and then last night at the game he waited for you to do his pep talk, he winked at you when he scored that first goal, and he told you the last one was for you. It seems to me that there is more there than just friendship.”

“Dad we just met. How could there be more?”

“I don’t know, there just seems to be.”

“Well there’s not.”

“Okay, I believe you.”

No he didn’t, he just didn’t want to get into a fight with me. He was living every dad's worst nightmare. Their daughters actually having feelings for someone. Feelings? Do I have feelings for Sidney Crosby? I finished my tea and got up from the table and went into the room. I grabbed my phone to text Anna and saw that I had a voicemail.

“Hey Taylor, it’s me…uh, Sidney. I was wondering where you went after the game. I guess you’re on your way home. I’ll talk to you tomorrow then. Bye.”

Should I call him back? Nah, I didn’t really feel like talking to him right now. I exited out of my mailbox and sent Anna a text message. I was surprised when she called me.

“Hey, what are you doing home?” I asked when I answered.

“Eh, I didn’t feel like going to school today so my mom let me stay home.”

“That’s cool.”

“Mhm. So how was the game last night?”

I sighed and rolled on my back. “It was so much fun. They won, three to one. Our seats were two rows away from the Penguins’ bench. I went early to hang out with Sid and I met the rest of the team. Just so you know all the guys that signed my poster remember you and Meghan.”

“Haha, do they really?”

“Yeah, they thought it was weird that a couple of Caps fans were asking for their autographs.”

“Meghan will be so thrilled.” She laughed. “So what else did you do?”

“My dad and I ate lunch with him. Then when my dad left I hung out in the locker room with them. Let me tell you, those guys are like a bunch of little kids.” I laughed as I remembered the joke Jordan played on Max. “A little before the game started, my dad and grandfather showed up and I introduced them to the team. Dad liked that. We stayed to hear the pep talk Sid gave to the team. Once the game started I was so excited because I was finally seeing a game. Well then Sidney scored the first goal, that made my night even better. But that wasn’t the best part of the night.” I took a deep breath. “He scored the winning goal too, and he said it was for me.”

“No he didn’t”

“Yes he did. I bet you can find it online somewhere.” I said. “Anna, can I ask you a question?”

“Yeah go ahead.” She said, sounding distracted.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

“Um , not really no. Why?”

I sighed. “No reason.”

“Taylor, you’re hiding something.” She accused me.

“Promise you won’t tell Meghan.”

“Promise.”

“I think…and I do mean think, I have some feelings for Sidney.” I whispered.

“What?!”

“Anna, do you remember when I liked that guy from our band classes in freshman year?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you remember how I told how he made me feel?”

“Yeah...”

“Well I kinda feel that way about him, but they are a little different.”

“What do you mean different?”

“I mean stronger. Anna, when he smiles at me I can’t breathe and my heart starts to beat really fast. I’m thinking about him all the time and when I talk to him I’m always really happy afterwards.” I almost whined. “Tell me what that means?”

“Well, I think it just might be you’re star struck. Why don’t you not talk to him for a couple of days and see what happens?”

“I think your right. I was just wrapped up in meeting him and finally see a game. It’s not real, it’s just the excitement.”

“Yeah.”

“Okay so I won’t talk to him for a couple of days. Then I will be back to normal. Thanks Anna.”

“Yep. I’ll talk to you later okay?”

“Okay.”

Later that afternoon my phone rang and when I looked I smiled. I almost answered it, but then I remembered what I told Anna. I frowned as I rejected the call. This was going to be a lot harder than I thought. Trying not to think of him was harder than not talking to him because when I opened the paper, there was a picture of him celebrating his goal. Ugh, curse his beautiful eyes and warm smile, I thought as I shut the paper.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited