L.O.V.E.

O is for the only one I see

“He’s such a dumb ass,” I complained. Apparently for the hundredth time, if you ask my sister-in-law anyway. “Who goes flirting up a storm and then lets me leave high and dry?”

“A dumb ass skate boarder.” She said in a board tone, rolling her eyes as she fed one of the twins their baby food.

I sat in front of the other highchair, feeding Grace her her lunch fruit. “That’s right a dumb ass skate boarder,” I sighed. “He did have a cute ass.”

“Natalie, tell your Aunt Liv that she’s a bigger cry baby than you.” Hannah cooed to her daughter, finishing off the jar of warmed pears.

I rolled my eyes. “Well, what should I do?”

“Don’t you want to pursue him?” She asked, pulling back her hair in a sloppy bun. Grabbing a facecloth, she wet it and cleaned the grubby fingers of her daughter all sticky from lunch.

“I’ve never pursued anyone before.” I made a face. “Usually, it’s me that’s getting pursued.” Hannah laughed at my dilemma, feeling no remorse. “What?” I shrugged. “I’m old fashion. The guy has to come to me.”

Hannah shook her head. “So, go out of your comfort zone for a change.”

“Maybe.” I felt my chest tighten at the idea, completely uncomfortable. “Say I do, hypothetically, for a moment. How would I even track him down?” I raised my hands and shook my head. “Never mind. I rather wallow in self pity, wondering ‘what if’s’ than sounding and acting like a stalker.”

“Olivia, you’re freaking out over nothing. It’s not like you’re going to marry the guy or even go out to dinner. He said drinks. If you like him, then you go to dinner.” She offered wisely.

“You’ve been watching Sleepless In Seattle haven’t you?” I gave Grace the last of the bananas.

She laughed, knowing she could never lie well and just admitted it. “It’s a classic love story.”

“As well as unrealistic today.” I pointed out, cleaning up the mess Grace had made.

“Maybe this is you’re love story.” She offered. “He owns a bar, you know. May be you should go there one night with a couple of friends. Check it out. If you happen to meet, then you happen to meet.”

“Where is it?” I sighed, biting my lip. I can’t believe that I’m even contemplating this. This is absolutely crazy.

“Over off Market Street.” Hannah said cautiously.

“Market Street? Where is that?” I paused and my eyes widened. The bar was located practically in the center of West Chester University. “Oh, hell no. Come on. What if I run into my students there?”

“Liv, you’re an adult. You are more than allowed to go out and have a good time.” She rolled her eyes. “Besides, you’ll be the ‘cool’ professor.”

I glared as she laughed at me and threw the dirty cloth at her.

“Hey, hey.” Seth laughed seeing his friend come in, completely shocked to see his face. “What are you doing at my bar?”

Bam made a face and laughed sarcastically. “Taking over my territory, Meisterman?”

“You just pay the bills, my sexiness brings in the customers.” He pulled at his opened button-down shirt. His long brown locks peaked out of his fedora. They talked designs for t-shirts and other business for a bit.

“I’m going to chill in the back for a bit, anyone there?” Bam grabbed the bottle of beer off the bar table.

“A few of the guys and some workers.” Seth went back to making sure he had enough limes cut and everything else was stocked for opening.

Bam leaned in the doorway of his greenroom and smiled seeing how well everyone was getting on. They looked all relaxed and enjoying themselves. It was the reason he wanted to open The Note in the first place several years ago. It was a place for good food, good drinks, good music, and great memories.

He pushed himself off the wall and made his presence known with a nervous grin. Though, when they made jokes and gave him his shit, he knew that things were still good with them.

“Dave, you better slow down for us.” Cherish yelled at her boyfriend as we tried to catch up in our tall stilettos.

“Honey, you know you don’t need to wear those pumps anymore, you’ve got me.” He grinned.

“Yeah, but you know you love them.” She retorted.

“Too true, babe.” He chuckled, kissing her cheek.

“You both make me sick.” I linked my arms between the two of them as we walked from the parking garage a couple of blocks down from the bar.

Dave shook his finger at me. “Hey now, miss bitch. We are here to support you in being a stalker. No need for rude comments.”

Cherish reached over me and smacked her boyfriend’s chest. “You weren’t invited to be an ass.”

I stopped walking and felt the all the color, except the blush I applied earlier, leave my face. “I am being a stalker aren’t I?” I turned around and started walking back towards the car. “Forget this, we’ll go to our usual bar. I don’t need to add stalker to my list of personalities.”

Cherish glared over at Dave and ran over to me pulling me over to the side. “He’s probably not even there. We’re going on an off night. But, if you really want to we’ll go all the way over to Jitters.”

I huffed and crossed my arms. “Way to try and lay on the guilt. You guys can stay. I’ll just walk over.”

“Oh, no you won’t.” Dave glared stepping into the conversation. “Not in the dark by yourself. Let’s go, stalker.”

“Dave, I used to like you.” I glared back. “Not anymore.”

“Dave, shut up.” Cherish rolled her eyes. “Here, flip your hair.” I rolled my eyes and did as I was told. She fixed the smudge of eyeliner under my eye and smiled. “There a little volume and you look gorgeous, sweetie pie. You are not a stalker. We are just checking out a place we heard some good things about. That’s all. Now take a deep breath.” Cherish waited until I did. “Dave’s our D.D. tonight. Let’s get happy.”

I laughed at Dave’s pout. “You asked for it. You were mean to me,” I grinned.

He glared playfully, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. “Let’s go. I want a few in drinks early if I have to sober up for you two dimwits.” He reached over and grabbed for Cherish’s hand, holding it protectively in his.

I huffed when Dave grabbed everyone’s cover, though appreciated the gesture. “Fine, you win this round mister, but I’ll start the tab.”

I looked around at the décor and I have to say that I was impressed. Large Moroccan lanterns hung from the ceiling, casting a soft glow. It felt open, and was actually bigger than I had thought it was judging by the window front. I followed my friends to a small circular booth in the corner with a good view of the large high def television by the bar.

“At least the Phillies are on,” Dave sighed in relief as he saw the home game playing on the large plasma. “I can save some of my dignity after all.”

“You mean you had dignity?” I laughed. “Could have fooled me.”

“Hey,” he smacked my arm lamely in defense.

Cherish leaned over and kissed her boyfriend’s cheek. “Stop while you’re ahead, babe.” Laughing, she leaned past him and high-fived me.

Dave took it like a man and ignored the jabs the two girls were having at him. He knew he should be used to being ganged up on when they got together. He guessed old habits died hard. “Either way,” he wrapped an arm around us, pulling us close to him. “I have the two most beautiful women in the world on each arm. I’ve got to be the luckiest man alive.”

“Cherish, I’ve got to say, he’s a good sweet talker.” I admitted letting myself finally relax, leaning my head on Dave’s shoulder.

She patted his chest and smiled warmly. “Yeah, he’s a keeper.”

I thanked the waitress as she gave us our menus. “And, how can I start you guys off tonight?”

“I’ll take a gin and tonic with Henderick’s gin.” I opened the menu, my mouth salivating at what was listed.

“You can keep your ‘neutral drink’, Liv. I want my cosmo.” Cherish grinned, ordering her sweet cocktail making me roll my eyes. Don’t get me wrong, though I definitely did love my girly drinks too.

Dave peered at the menu with me and just mumbled a beer that was on tap, knowing he couldn’t get anything with a high alcohol percentage. “We never learn not to eat out on an empty stomach.” I shook my head. “I’ll take fish and chips. Oh, they have the onion petal, here.”

“We’ll have that,” Dave chuckled.

“Oh, and a basket of tater tots.” Cherish ordered licking her lips. The waitress jotted down our orders and promised to return with our drinks.

When the food arrived, I winked over at Cherish as she laughed watching me pull out my camera. I took a nice picture of Dave stuffing his face with the first bit of the fish. I giggled at the angry look that I was now receiving and took another picture.

“Nice one, David.” I stood up out of the booth, “Okay, I need a nice one of you two.” I rolled my hips to the music as I waited for them to scooch together. I grinned pressing the button, taking several shots of the cute couple. I handed camera to Dave’s outreached hand. “No deleting,” I warned him.

“Yeah, yeah. Go over with her, babe.” He nudged his girlfriend. She slid out of the booth and came over dancing with me. Spinning me around. “I get my private show.” He chuckled at the funny faces we were making at the camera as we continued to fool around in our little corner.

I grinned at the camera and took a bit of the onion petal that was dipped in chipolte mayo. Even if I didn’t get to meet the guy that was chatting me up in the grocery store last week, I was still having a blast with my friends and couldn’t have asked for a better night out.

“Smile nicely.” Dave rolled his eyes, getting a kick out of the dorks the two girls were slowly becoming with each passing drink. I did as I was told and stuck my tongue out with the masticated food. “That’s disgusting, Liv. I thought you were a lady.”

“Of course I’m a lady, silly. Ask your girlfriend, she knows.” I giggled, pulling up the suede material of my thigh high boots that kept slipping. I finished off my drink and pouted at the empty glass. “I need another one of these. I shall return.” I walked the short distance to the bar and leaned against the counter, waiting for the bar tender that was helping a customer on the other end.

“Prof Hampton?” I heard to my right as I waited for a bartender.

“Shit,” I muttered under my breath and briefly closed my eyes. I straightened my posture as I leaned on the bar. I looked over and as I predicted, saw one of my drawing students. “Hey, Chris,” I greeted him awkwardly.

I rolled my eyes as his scanned me up and down in an obvious and perverted way. “Looking good, Professor H.” He winked.

“Hey kid,” one of the bartenders came over, inadvertently saving me. “You shouldn’t even try to handle a women until at least both your balls have dropped. Move along.”

“Thanks,” I laughed as the poor kid took the walk of shame. I looked into the man’s warm brown eyes and smiled. He tipped his yellow straw fedora hat at me. I discretely scanned my eyes over his attire. He had on a flowing dress shirt and a pair of maroon corduroys. He had an eclectic style with his own bit of pizzazz; I admire that in a person.

“No problem,” he grinned and leaned against the bar. “So, what will it be, professor?”

I put my empty glass on the bar, telling him my tab and leaned on my hand. “I’ll take another gin and tonic. It’s my drink for the night. Oh, and make sure it’s Hendrick’s; none of that cheap shit.”

He chuckled, grabbing the highball glass off the counter. “The professor knows her drinks does she?”

“Hardly,” I laughed taking a seat in the empty barstool. “I just know how to fake it.”

“I’m going to go out on a limb and say you teach at WCU?” He put a few ice cubes in the glass before adding the 50-50 of the Scottish gin and tonic water.

“And, here I thought you were just a pretty boy who could make drinks,” I teased. I probably wouldn’t be this forward if I hadn’t had a few other gin and tonics already in me. Alcohol seems to always bring out the motor mouth in me.

“I also ward off sleazy boys who don’t know how to quit while ahead.” He chuckled, garnishing the drink with the traditional citrus before setting it on the bar for me. “What subject to you teach?”

I stirred the red straw around in the glass. “Art. Though since I haven’t been there long I’m stuck doing the beginner classes and get students as such who think they can get away with an easy A.”

“I am honored to be in the presence of a fellow artist.” He took a bow making me giggle.

“What’s your medium?” I sipped out of the thin red straw.

“I dabble between graphic design and everything.” He wiped down the bar, picking up the extra condensation and threw the towel over his shoulder. “And, yourself?”

“Pencil and charcoal. I always go back to the basics. But, I’ll dabble in everything, too. Art has so many opportunities, why settle for just one area.” I smiled unable to put into words the passion I held for art. Seth smiled enjoying that someone else shared his philosophy. “Olivia,” I introduced my self, holding my hand over the counter.

“Seth,” he returned the handshake, letting it linger as he realized where he could place the name. It was the woman Bam couldn’t shut up about over the last week for so. He was mentioning the mysterious woman any chance he could and here she was sitting in front of him. Sure, there are probably hundreds of Olivia’s out there, but he had a sick feeling that this was the one they’ve been keeping an eye out for. “I have to run in the back for a bit, but definitely stick around.” Seth all but ran out, trying to find his friend.

I made a weird face at the empty spot and grabbed my drink. Sinking into the booth, I whined. “Do I smell bad? I mean seriously. Lately guys just seem to act interested and then leave me as fast as their feet can take them.”

“Liv, please don’t be an emotional drunk tonight.” Dave begged, wishing they had dragged one more person out so that they would have taken on the responsibility to be the designated driver instead of himself. “But, be a doll and get me one more beer?”

I huffed childishly as sipped my highball cocktail. “I just got rejected again, and you want me to go back over there?” I shook my head. “I don’t think so.”

“As the D. D., I command you to.” He shook his empty beer bottle. Cherish was too comfortable, snuggled against him to move. So, that left me.

“Fine, but you’ll owe me.” I rolled my eyes walking ever so slowly back over to the bar.

Seth caught Bam just as he was sneaking out the back door, going over to the employee parking lot. “Bam! Wait!” He grabbed his friend’s shoulder.

“Seth, I’m exhausted. It’s been a long day and an even longer night.” Bam ran his hand over his face.

“You really need to get out there.” He gave him a shove out of the protection of the backroom and in the direction of the bar.

“This better be worth it,” Bam grumbled. He really was looking forward to just crawling into his bed at this point.

I sighed, as the guy, Seth, had not returned from where ever he disappeared off too. It was a shame; he was sort of cute in his own quirky way. I liked his personality anyway. I tapped my nails against the wooden tabletop and waited. The only other person serving was once again at the other end of the bar.

I looked up, seeing something move out of the corner of my eye and smiled seeing Seth’s return. “Hey, you.” I shook my already empty glass. “I need one last refill and a mug of whatever regular, non-light you have on tap.” I scrunched my nose confused as he stopped short and pouted to myself. I must have some man repellent on or something. I looked past him and smiled shyly, feeling my cheeks redden even more than the alcohol had added. “Hi.”

“Olivia,” Bam breathed, ready to pinch himself. He didn’t think he had had that much to drink that he was hallucinating. Maybe sleep deprivation was finally setting in. Or maybe it was a mirage from dehydration. He stepped closer and leaned on the lower counter in front of me, taking my empty glass. “Do you come here often?”

“First time. Heard some good things so a few of us came out.” I shrugged, biting my lip. “You never exchanged information with me. You must have some good insurance.”

Bam laughed and smiled bashfully, completely embarrassed by his mistake. “No, I don’t have good insurance, it’s called not having a brain.”

I giggled shyly as he filled my glass, having heard my order relayed to Seth. Seth had made his own drink and chuckled, proud of his good work. “Dumb ass syndrome,” I nodded. “I’ve heard about that. It’s supposed to be serious.”

Bam laughed leaning over the bar, folding his arms. He could smell the soft smell of sweet almond radiating off her smooth, milky skin. It was addicting. He would bath in it if he could. “Very.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Liv