Look At What I Deal With

The Deal With Hell

I opened my droopy eyes to see the light from the hallway pouring into my bedroom's ajar door. The sudden noise of footsteps near my closet disturbed the three hour sleep I had beleaguering me. I turn over to see my new foster parent's daughter, Katherine, rummaging through my drawer where I keep the locket my mom and dad gave me before they gave me to my aunt who gave me up for adoption. She didn't seem to realize I was watching her studying her every movement. As usual she was dressed in a new outfit from designers and her blond hair was loose curled at the tips. Her purple Ed Hardy shirt matched her new purple and black Jordan's she got at the mall yesterday along with the black skinny's she is wearing. When she turned around she quickly shoved her hand in her pocket.

"I didn't know you were awake."

I got up.

"What do you have in your pocket?"

"Um..," She paused. "Nothing."

"It must be something. You hesitated to answer showing me your out of your comfort zone making you shift your weight on one leg to the other indicating your not at ease. Your hair is parted in different directions which concludes you ran your hand through your hair several times which sometimes is a sign of frustration or a sign of being nervous. There's creases in your new sneakers indicate you were squatting down looking through my bottom drawers and while I'm talking to you, you are looking at everything else besides me. Someone who is lying will avoid eye contact. A guilty person will be defensive like you are being now so again i will ask you what do you have in your pocket?"

She cracked under the pressure. Slowly she took my locket out her pocket and gave it to me.

"It's ugly anyways."

She rolled her eyes.

"It must have been appealing for you have shown signs of interest in something so hideous."

I smirked as she slammed my door.

I was adopted two days ago, on Saturday to be exact, and this family has proven to be a bunch of assholes. Kate and Time are rich and Tim thought it would be best to have me as a charity case treating me like a princess in public but like a peasant when no one is watching that isn't Kate or Katherine. Kate is a different story. She is welcoming and isn't as cold hearted as Tim and Katherine. She treats me as though I was her actual daughter giving me the love and care I never had. Kate knows how much of an ass her husband can be so she takes me out to the mall or to Barns and Nobles or where ever as long as it means not having to deal with Tim's drunk self. I know he beats her for I have seen the bruises on her arms and back but she denies it I guess because she is afraid so she wears long sleeves and turtle necks even if it is hot.

"Emily."

I hear Kate's melody voice outside my door.

"Hurry. You don't want to be late for your first day school."

God I don't want to go!!

"OK I will be down in a minute."

I quickly jump in the shower, brush my teeth, and get dress. It's the beginning of February so it's cold outside. I throw on a pair of black skinny jeans with a stripped navy blue and white long sleeve shirt with my new navy blue Vans Kate got for me. I straighten my hair tease it applying black eyeliner under my stormy gray eyes. I put on my black Trent coat grabbing my maroon Lg Env3 cell phone, I-pod, messenger bag, and my locket locking my bedroom door for "Katherine" reasons. I make my way down the stairs and see Kate near the front door with my keys. I hug her tightly as she gasps in excruciating pain and I quickly let go. Tears begin to fill her eyes as she smiles faintly.

"I swear if I see him hit you I will hurt him."

"Don't worry Em it won't happen again."

Lies! That's bullshit! you know he will do it again and again until one day he'll end up killing you. God I want to kill that asshole when I see him.

"Now go to school."

She kisses my forehead as she lets me out the front door.

"Call me if anything."

She nods and I see a tear slip from her green eyes before she closes the door. That dam wife beater is going to die by my hands.

"Marriage is for committed lovers, not hostages." Rob Jackson, from chapter “What If My Spouse Abuses Me?” from the book, “The First Five Years of Marriage