Look At What I Deal With

Dove

Katherine burst through the door gasping for air. Her hair was a mess. It looked like a birds nest. I laughed at her as she rushed over to my side and sat beside me.

"Does this have to do with mom?"

"No."

She relaxed walking over to me. She sat down on the bed beside me. She laid her purse beside her as she began to run her fingers through her hair taking out the knots. As usual Katherine’s make up was perfect. She had eyeliner on with black eye shadow that went perfectly with the black design on her shirt. Her eye lashs were long and curved with mascara. Her ski was flawless and off course she was always wearing a light pink lip gloss over her lip concealer.

"So then what’s the emergency."

I drew in a breath before replying to her.

"Well,” I paused. “ I am going on a date but I have nothing to wear."

The last part I rushed out. Katherine who was looking out the window quickly spun her head toward me. I could clearly read that she was shocked. She dropped her hands from her hair putting them over her lips that formed an O. After a few seconds she began to smile big.

"Oh my god! With who and where?"

"Leo and to dinner. But I need to dress in formal attire and I don’t own any dresses."

"I knew Leo like you!" She squealed. "It’s a good thing I own dresses."

She grabbed my hand and dragged me into her room were she sat me in a chair and began rummaging through her walk in closet. I could hear hangers move as Katherine looked through her close. Twenty minutes passed and I began to think she got lost in her closet when Katherine came out with a dress cover in a black bag. Katherine had pulled her hair in a ponytail leaving her bangs out.

"I got the perfect dress. When is he picking you up?"

"He didn’t say."

"Then what are you waiting for ask. I have a lot to do before he picks you up. I need to do your hair, find the right jewelry, look for high heels, pick out make up..." she trailed off as she began rummaging through her drawers. "I need those bobby pins. I forgot where I put them." She turned to me. "In the mean time find out the time and then go take a shower. Wash your hair."

I nodded. Wow. Katherine was like a man gone mad. I pulled out my phone and texted Leo asking when he was going to pick me up for dinner and her said seven thirty. I gathered my clothes to go take a shower and before entering the bathroom I yelled.

"Katherine he is picking me up at seven thirty!"

"That gives me about four hours. I got time."

I heard her say before I closed the door behind me. I turned on the water and took twice the time I usually did taking a shower. I washed my hair twice with shampoo and shaved my legs. I could here Katherine closing drawers and opening her closet several times. When I came out it was four forty five. I went to Katherine’s room and sat in the chair I sat in before. Laid out on her bed was the black bag with the dress in it, a shoe box, a white gold necklace that had a dove hanging from the bottom of it next to a pair of diamond earrings, and bracelets. When Katherine found the bobby pins she was looking for she began to blow dry my hair.

After that was done she began to curl my hair with a curling iron. She parted my hair to the side. She only curled the bottom of my hair because it was just dinner she said.

"For dinners you don’t go to over board you go simple but yet beautiful so that is why loose curls are always acceptable."

After my curls were done she pinned up a lock of curl on the side with a booby pin that had a swirling design on it in limestone. It went perfect with my hair. My bangs were straighten and curved to the side.

"Now for make up. For dinners you never want to over do it like with the hair. That is why I am only going to put a light powder foundation and blush to high light your cheek bones. For eye shadow is a light golden color that you can hardly notice at all with a small amount of mascara and add a small amount of pale ivory eye liner. For the lips it will just be a clear lip gloss."

As she was talking she was doing my make up. When I was officially done with my make up and hair I took a look in the mirror. Wow. I looked so simple but yet it looked so nice. Katherine was right. You go simple but yet beautiful and I did look beautiful. By the time this was all done it was six fifteen. Katherine put on the diamond earrings and the necklace. After that was done she sprayed on a small amount of body glitter that won’t be noticeable after I applied lotion.

Then it was time for the dress. I had no idea what it looked like but I was sure it was pretty. Katherine took it out the bag and I caught a small glimpse of the color in the mirror. It was pale. Katherine turned around and showed me it. The color was a pale coral pink. I took off the clothes I was wearing and slid into it. Katherine gave me the silver high heels that matched the jewelry. When I was done I took a look in the mirror.

The dress had two straps and flowed right above my knees. It was tight in the chest section but then flowed out like water. It was breath taking. I looked so simply but I loved it. The make wasn’t a lot and fit the whole simple look. My hair flowed down my shoulder in nice curly waves. The jewelry wasn’t eye catching but some how with the dress, hair, make up, and heels, it stood out. I could hear Kate coming up the stairs. Some time between getting my hair done and getting my make up done I heard Kate come inside. Katherine didn’t want her to see me until I was done.

"Mom you could come in now."

Kate opened the door and stop putting her hand over her heart.

"My god Emily you look so lovely."

"I know." Katherine squealed. "I knew this dress would look amazing on her."

I wasn’t a big fan of pink but I loved the color of the dress. When the clock hit seven twenty Katherine was handing me a pale coral colored hand bag to put my cell phone and keys in before heading down stairs. We all sat in the kitchen while Katherine gave me tips.

"Try to stay away from dark liquids or sauce because it will damage the fabric of the dress if it gets on it. Here." Katherine handed me a clear tube of lip gloss, with a small bottle of mouth wash and floss. "When you are done eating go to the bathroom and rinse your mouth and then floss. The last thing you want is smelly breath or something stuck in your teeth. Don’t worry if it gets hot in there or you begin to sweat. The make up is water proof and I out on a foundation so that your eye shadow won’t smudge. Mascara and eyeliner are both water proof."

When she was done the door bell rang. I jumped. I was nervous I had to admit. Kate went to open the door and I heard Leo’s voice. They stood near the door way.

"Good evening Leo."

"Good evening. Is Emily ready?"

"Yes. Emily"

She called. Katherine squeezed my hand and smiled giving me reassurance that thing would be perfectly fine. I walked to the door. Leo looked up at me. “Wow” read all over his face. He was dressed in a tuxes with a white button down shirt. His hair of course was messy but it fit right with Leo. It always did.

"You look beautiful Em."

I smiled.

"I hope you enjoy yourselves. Be careful."

Kate kissed me on the forehead before we left. Leo was still smiling.

"What is it?"

"I am going to dinner with the most breath taking girl in the world."

I was so nervous but there was no turning back now. This will be a night to remember.

Miracles come in moments. Be ready and willing.
Wayne Dyer