I'm Gonna Break Down These Walls

Time for Me to Open Up My Heart

"So you have a date with Alex, eh?" Vanessa said once we entered the mall. We were going shopping and she was going to help me pick out what to wear. "He must have done a lot of convincing for him to get you to go out with him. You're one tough cookie. You don't let anyone in except me of course. I've been your best friend since elementary so I know you really well. What did he do to make you go out with him? Does he have some kind of magical powers or something?"

We went into a random store to look at clothes. "I don't know," I said. "I think his charm just got to me. I mean I don't even let people in and I told him everything. It's weird. I think I-"

"You love him?" she asked suddenly.

My eyes widened. "No. I don't even know what love is anymore... I was just going to say that I trust him. I've only known him for a few months but he's one of my best friends. Plus, a date with him won't hurt me. That's what he told me anyways."

She smiled. "Just so you know I really do approve of this one. He's really nice and funny. You guys are cute together."

"V, we're not even together yet. It's one date. Calm down." She grabbed a black shirt that hung off one shoulder and it was almost a dress. "That's pretty." She handed it to me. "Why am I trying so hard for this date?"

"You like him, duh. I thought it was obvious already. Just take things slow this time. I don't want anything bad happening to you."

"I did take things slow last time and look what happened. He didn't want me." I frowned.

"Alex is not like that. I think you changed him. You said he would have one night stands, right? He would still be doing that if he didn't like you this much. I think he's in love with you."

I laughed nervously. "Please, shut up." I grabbed some jeans and went to the dressing room to try them on. I showed Vanessa and she told me it looked good. I put my clothes back on and went to go buy them. "Why do you think he's in love with me? Why would he be anyways? I'm not that special." I asked.

She sighed. "There are so many reasons. You're awesome, Ellie. You may not see that but everyone else can. I mean I can definitely see why Alex likes you. You're really fun." She smiled.

I smiled back. "Thanks." We were walking back to the car to go home. Everyone kept texting me today that they heard I have a date with Alex, seems to me that news flies fast around here. "I'm kinda nervous," I said once I started driving back to my house. My parents were thrilled that I was going on a date since it's been forever or at least that's what they say.

"Aw, don't be," Vanessa said. "Just be yourself. It's what got you this far already." She grabbed the bag with the clothes I bought before we got out of the car. "He likes you for who you are and I mean you told him everything. How much nicer could a guy get? He was trying to help you, too. You let him in and that's a good thing because it means you trust him."

I nodded. "Yeah, you're right." We went to my room and Vanessa put the bag on my bed. Jack was in his room, playing his guitar. Vanessa was staring at him and I smiled. "Ooh, someone likes Jack." I smacked her arm playfully.

"No, I don't!" she said and I raised my eyebrow at her. "Okay, maybe a little bit. It won't work out anyways. I have to go home at the end of the week. Distance relationships don't work, Eliana."

"Maybe you should go do him before you leave then." I winked at her and she glared at me. "I was kidding! That's gross. He's a whore but I love him. Who knows how many STD's he has? I mean I'm sure he uses a condom and all but I don't trust him enough to have sex with him."

Vanessa gave me a bewildered look. "Okay, one, I'd never do him just like that and two, shut up!"

I laughed. "Whatever. I'm gonna go shower and then you can help me get ready." I grabbed the bag and went into my bathroom. I took a shower and then put my clothes on. I walked out of the bathroom and looked at Vanessa. She raised an eyebrow at me. "I don’t know what to do with my hair." I frowned.

She laughed. "Just leave it natural. I like your wavy hair." She winked at me and I shook my head. "Let me do your makeup!" She grabbed my arm and sat me down in a chair. She started to put eyeliner and mascara on. "You know you don't need a lot of makeup. You should just use a little bit. Okay, I'm done." I looked at myself and smiled. I actually looked decent. "See you're a very beautiful girl." She smiled.

"Thanks, Nessa." My phone buzzed and I rolled my eyes at Jack's text. 'You look smoking sexy.' I sent him a text saying thanks. "Jack just told me I look sexy. He's so weird." I waved at him through my window and he waved back. I sent him another text to come over and he walked in my room a few minutes later. "Jack Attack!" I shouted and gave him a hug.

"Ellie Wellie!" he shouted and hugged me back. "I see you're trying to give Alex a heart attack."

I laughed. "I guess. Nessa helped me though." I hugged her. "I love her. I'd date you if I was into girls...and a guy." I laughed.

"Nice to know, Eliana," she said, laughing. "I love you, you big weirdo."

I smiled. "Jack, I was wondering if you could hang out with Vanessa while I'm gone. You're going to be bored without Alex and Vanessa is going to be bored without me. I was thinking you two could hang out and get to know each other better."

Jack nodded. "That sounds good. She's very pretty." He winked at her and she blushed. I smiled. Aw, how cute are they?

I heard the doorbell ring. "Well, take good care of her. Bye." I hugged each of them quickly and went to go open the door. "Hello." I smiled. Alex looked cute. He was wearing black skinny jeans, the blue flannel button up shirt I bought him, and his blue and black Nike's. His hair was perfectly coiffed, too. I think he was trying to impress me.

His mouth opened in shock and then he smiled. "You look beautiful," he said, taking my hand and walked to the car.

"Thank you to both," I said after he opened the door for me and I got in. He got in the driver's seat and started to drive somewhere. "You look handsome." I smiled.

He smiled back. "Thank you." He kept one hand on the wheel while he grabbed my hand with the other.

"So where are we going, Alexander?" I asked.

"We're going out to dinner and then we can decide what to do after. We can go see a movie again or something."

I nodded. "That sounds good. It doesn't matter." He parked the car and got out to open the car door for me. "Thank you. You're such a gentleman." I smiled and he smiled back. "I love it." Yeah, he never opened doors for me or anything.

"Well, you're always supposed to be a gentleman to girls. It's the nice thing to do."

I smiled. "Your momma taught you well, Gaskarth."

He smiled back. "She sure did, huh?"

"Remind me to thank her." I laughed.

"I will." He chuckled and we went in the restaurant.