I'm Gonna Break Down These Walls

Everyone Has a Secret

Jack threw a fry at me and it hit my forehead. I frowned at him and returned the favor by throwing a fry at his head. We then got into a miniature food fight between him and me. He threw a piece of bread at me and I threw a tomato slice at his head and it got stuck to his cheek. I laughed but he took it off his face and made a disgusted look. He then threw a pickle slice at my head but I moved before it could hit me.

"Would you two stop throwing stuff?!" Rian said. "You're going to get in trouble." I had just met Rian's girlfriend, Kara. She was really nice and I liked her. I didn't notice I had a class with her until I saw her. We definitely became good friends.

Kara picked out the crumbs of bread from my hair as I brushed off my clothes. Jack did the same thing only Alex helped him pick out the food in his hair. I smiled at them. "You guys are so cute," I said. "If you two were gay, you would be the cutest gay couple ever."

"Shut up," Jack said and he quickly shook his head to get any food that was left in his hair. "Jack is way too sexy for Alex," he said after he stopped shaking his head.

Alex shook his head. "It's the other way around, Jack hole. I'm better looking than you. Kay thanks."

They were already becoming my best friends and I've only known them for a few weeks. I've hung out with them every day even our new addition, Kara. Kara and I had so much in common and we instantly hit it off. I had her in my Spanish class along with Alex. That's the reason I know her because she would turn around and talk to Alex. I didn't want to ask him about her, thinking she was just some random girl. It made sense to me now.

"Ellie Wellie," said Jack, waving his hand in my face.

"Oh. What?" I said, snapping out of my thoughts and smiling at him.

He smiled back. "Are you okay? You just kind of zoned out and it was weird."

"Um, yeah, I was just thinking about how awesome you guys are," I lied. I mean sure they were awesome but I was thinking about how adorable Kara and Rian are. They were so perfect for each other. It made me think of how that guy and I used to be. I'm not going to ever mention his name. We used to be inseparable and everyone thought we were the perfect couple. They thought we would be together forever so it seemed. They were all wrong. That douche bag went and had sex with another girl just because I wouldn't. We had been together for over a year and a half. I did love him but I just wasn't ready and I don't think he understood that. I guess I'm just lucky I didn't. It made me realize he only wanted me for my body and nothing else. I felt tears started to strain their way out. "Excuse me," I said and everyone looked at me with concern as I walked to the girl's room.

I looked at myself in the mirror. Just thinking about him makes me feel dead inside and out. I get paler and my eyes dull out. I stared into my eyes and I could feel the tears coming up again. I heard the door to the bathroom open and I turned to wipe away the tears that had escaped.

"El, are you okay?" I heard Kara ask.

I turned to look at her and I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." I hated lying but I don't want anyone to know anything about it. I like having a new start in my life and I need to get it out of my head. I didn't think about it now until I saw Kara and Rian together.

"Are you sure? You know you can tell me anything." She put her hand on my shoulder and I nodded.

"I'm fine, really. Let's go back before they think we fell in the toilet or something." I lightly laughed and Kara smiled but we walked back out of the bathroom. The guys all looked at me with concern on their faces and I smiled. "I'm okay. You don't have to worry about me." I sat down next to Zack and he put his arm around my neck.

"But we care," he said. "You freaked us out back there. You're getting to be one of our best friends and we don't like it when our best friends get sad."

"Thanks, but I'll be okay." I was lying again and it was tearing me up inside but I put on a smile for everyone else.

"Okay," he said and let go of me.

"Just know you can always tell us anything," Alex said and I stared into his eyes. He was being sincere and it made me smile. Just knowing people actually cared about me made me happy. They truly are my best friends.

The bell rang and I grabbed my backpack and swung it over my shoulder. I didn't eat lunch today so I waited for everyone to throw their trash away. I had class with Kara and Alex. I was walking a bit ahead of them and Alex grabbed my hand to slow me down. I got a weird feeling and I pulled away. He frowned and sensed something was wrong. "Are you okay?" he asked as we sat down in our usual seats in class. I nodded and the bell rang and the teacher started up on teaching Spanish.

He kept staring at me throughout the class period. "Stop staring at me," I snapped at him once we started doing our work. Kara looked back at us with a raised eyebrow and went back to doing her work.

"Is everything alright here?" Mrs. Garcia asked standing in between us.

"Yes, ma'am," I said and went back to doing my work and Alex did, too. She went back to her seat and I looked at Alex at the corner of my eye and he was still looking at me. He caught me looking at him and he went back to doing his work.

The bell rang and I had one more period and I had it with Jack and I'm glad I didn't have to see Alex for at least another 50 minutes or so.

"Hey," Jack greeted me as I sat down next to him.

"Hey, Jack," I said, smiling.

"You seem as if you're weirded out. Why?"

"Alex."

"Oh, he's being clingy, huh?"

I nodded. "Why is he doing that?"

He shrugged. "It's Alex. He'll do whatever he can to make him talk to you if you have something on your mind. It's a good yet annoying quality he has. Or maybe he just has the hots for you or both."

I gave him a bewildered look. "Alex doesn't like me..."

Jack chuckled. "I don't know but I'll find out. I think he does. I think it's because the way he looks at you."

"What are you talking about?!"

He opened his mouth to say something but the bell rang and the teacher started lecturing about calculus. I really wanted to know what he was talking about. I've been here a few weeks. Maybe Jack is just telling me this to make me go insane inside. He knows me that well already. He knows how to get in my head. Besides, Alex can't like me. What's to like?
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe, comment, and all that jazz.