Broken Down on Memory Lane Alone, Together Alone

That woman!

I did as Sonny told me to, and got dressed up. Though my idea of dressed up was a flowie sundress from the 60’s with an old brown, fitted, leather jacket, and some comfortable flats. Though my legs were quite cold.

Sonny took me out to an early dinner and then a movie. Dinner was nice, though I wasn’t sure what to make of the movie. I never really got into the whole everything in 3D thing. It was fun in the beginning, but it lost its lustre after a while, like most things.

“You know,” I began as I looked out the passenger side window, we were almost home, “we should get a cat.”

I looked over to see Sonnys reaction. He smiled slightly before replying, “I don’t think so.”

“Why not?” I straightened up in my seat, “cats are amazing creatures.”

“No,” he used his ‘this-is-the-end-of-the-discussion’ tone, as we pulled into the driveway, “we are not getting a cat.”

“But-“

“No.” he turned off the car and got out.

I followed suit and got out of the car, “come on, they practically take care of them- Mara?”

Mara was sitting on our doorstep head in her hands. She weekly forced a smile when we walked up to her. Here eyes were red and puffy from crying. She was only wearing a light sweater, so she must have been freezing. I couldn’t even imagine what she was doing here at this hour. It didn’t matter though. My motherly instincts kicked in and I rushed over to her, wrapping her in a tight hug.

“What’s the matter honey?” I asked in a soothing tone.

She sniffed loudly in my ear before answering, “Judy said not to bother coming home if I came to visit you guys… but I needed to see you.”

“What did you father have to say about that?” Sonny asked calmly, though you could hear the anger in his voice.

“He’s out of town,” she sniffed again, “on business for his firm.”

I sighed as I released her from my hug, “well… lets get you inside before you catch your death out here.”

Sonny opened the door for us. He led Mara into the living room and continued to talk to her. I stayed in the kitchen though. I warmed up some milk with honey, and put some cookies on a platter. There was nothing better to get you all warmed up. Except a nice mug of hot chocolate maybe.

I walked into the living room and placed the milk and cookies down on the coffee table, before wrapping a protective arm around Mara. She took the milk and sipped it.

“So, what was so important that you had to get kicked out of your house to tell us?” Sonny asked as he took a cookie and leaned back into the couch.

“Well,” Mara began, looking bashfully down at her lap, “my boyfriend and I got into a huge fight… and I just wanted to talk to Gram about it. But Judy wouldn’t drive me. And then we ended up fighting about how much I come over here… and other things… I just got really mad and stormed out of the house. Judy yelled that if I came here then I shouldn’t bother coming back.”

Sonny looked livid by the end of Mara’s tale. I wasn’t far from it myself. That woman was definitely going to get a piece of my mind the next time I saw her. And by the look on Sonnys face, she’d better hope to never see him again.

Mara softly leaned into me, resting her head on my shoulder. She closer her eyes and sighed. The poor thing must have been dead tired after the day she had. I rubbed her arm soothingly and began to quietly hum Faithfully. It wasn’t long before her breathing slowed to a calm rhythm, and she slumped against me.

I slowly got up, so I wouldn’t wake her up, and laid her comfortably across the couch. Sonny wrapped a blanket around her and turned off the light.

I took Sonnys hand and lead him towards our room. He angrily mumbled to himself the entire way. It would have been comical had I not been just as pissed off. Judy had no right to kick Mara out over something so stupid! Mara was aloud to come over and visit us whenever she liked. We were her grandparents damn it!

We both changed for bed and climbed in. I snuggled in close to Sonny, resting my head on his chest.

“I don’t know if I can sleep now,” he let out an aggravated sigh, “just wait till I get my hands on that little bitch.”

I gave him a small kiss, “just calm down and go to sleep… we’ll work everything out tomorrow.”

He kissed the top of my head, “I’ll try... love you.”

I smiled slightly, “I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it’s taken me, like, a month to write this! I’ve been overloading myself with contests! But now that I’ve got all that finished I plan to lay off the contests until I finish this story! And then the prequel… which I have all planned out.