Status: Finished!

On a Lonely Night

Intro.

“Miri!” I heard my mom’s voice boom over the sound of my exceptionally loud stereo, “Miriam Montgomery!”
I sighed.
That’s me! Miriam Montgomery. Such a torturous name, right?
Anyways. My mom obviously wanted me to turn my stereo down and bring my bags down stairs.
This was not going to happen.

Not only do I not want to move to fucking Arizona (I can’t deal with heat), I do not feel like turning down the Summer 07 – EP by A Rocket to the Moon that was currently playing.

I heard loud footsteps on the stairs, “Goddammit! Miriam Ella Montgomery, turn that rubbish down!”
That was when she hurt my feelings, “Shut the fuck up, mom, I am NOT moving to Arizona!”

I already had the rest of my high school career in Ohio planned out. Nothing else mattered as long as he kept coming back every summer.

“Miriam, you are fifteen and you will do as your mother tells you!”
I DO NOT WANT TO MOVE TO ARIZONA!” I shrieked over my music.
My mom practically knocked my door down, opening it with a force so strong.

She stomped over to my stereo and practically broke it, turning it off with such power.
She grabbed my bags in one hand and pulled my arm in the other, “You’re moving and that’s final.”


I used to visit Arizona all the time when I was younger. My mother grew up there, however my father’s career brought her to Ohio, where I was born. Almost all of my mom’s family still lives in damned Arizona, including my older cousin, Josh. Josh was going to be a junior in the fall, I believe.
My parents split up this past year. It was a tough time and I wish I could have gone with my dad to San Francisco, however my mom gained custody.

“Now Miri,” My mom began in her lecturing tone, “Please, I’m begging you. Let go of the bad attitude, at least till we settle in.”
I sighed, “Ok.”
I was tired and I just wanted to sleep in a comfy bed tonight.

We pulled up to my cousin’s house. Josh’s parents had split a long time ago and with all their extra room, and my mom wanting to come back to Arizona, my aunt Cathy suggested we move in with her.

“Cath!” My mom squealed upon setting sight on her sister.
“Molls!” Aunt Cathy squealed just as much.
The sisters embraced and that’s when Josh and I were noticed.
“Josh! You’ve gotten so big! You’re a really handsome young man,” My mom gushed.
Aunt Cathy said something similar to me, then I was finally able to survey my cousin while out mothers caught up a bit.

Josh was taller and bigger, obviously. His blond hair was now long, a few inches from his shoulder. He was clad in skinny jeans and a tee, much like me. I gave him a small smile and he returned the favor.
“How are you, Miri?” He asked, giving me a light hug.
I hugged him back, “Pissed at my mom, how about you, Josh?”
Josh chuckled, “Always pissed at something, Miri. I’m great! Actually, I have some friends coming over later, do you wanna meet them?”
I contemplated his offer for a bit, “I don’t know. Let me know when they are here, maybe I will.”
He gave me the thumbs up before Aunt Cathy rushed my mother and I upstairs to our rooms.

My room was normal sized with a big closet. I was content since I had many clothes. My bed was pretty big and very comfortable. I went to my bag, pulling out my iHome and plugging it in to the outlet. I placed the iHome on the bedside table.
Next, I went into my backpack, searching for my iPod. I pulled it out victoriously, slipping it onto my iHome player and playing the first song on repeat.
I sang along to the tune I knew oh so well.

“So now you want me to fix everything
But baby theres so much and so little time to
Replace the things I've broken
Ripped apart, and thrown away
You can say that you dont miss me
I think about you every day”


After listening to it for about the 30th time, there was a soft knock on my door.
“Miri?” It was Josh.
I opened the door, “Yeah?”
He smiled, “My friends are here. Do you wanna come meet them?”
I shrugged, staying behind my door.
“Pleeease Miri. You don’t have to stay, just come meet them.”
I sighed, nodding.
I went back to pause my song and proceeded to follow Josh way down to the basement.

The first thing I noticed when I stepped into Josh’s own TV room in the basement; I was the only girl.

“Okay guys, this is my cousin, Miriam,” Josh gestured to me.
I smiled slightly, “Call me Miri.”
They nodded, returning my smile.
Josh pointed them out one by one, “This is Stephen, Brian, Kennedy, and Stephen’s brother, John. John is in your grade.”

No matter how cute any of them may be, I still couldn’t get him out of my head…

I don’t even know why I chose to stay down there with them while they poked fun at each other and talked randomly about nothing and everything. However, I am glad that I did. John and I bonded, Stephen and I bonded, Brian and I bonded, Kennedy and I bonded, and even Josh and I bonded. It was the start of a very beautiful friendship.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is what happens when I randomly get inspired at 11PM on a Thursday night when I SHOULD be studying for the three tests I have tomorrow.

On a Lonely Night has been on repeat for about two hours now? So I guess the inspiration makes sense.

Comments are very much appreciated ;D