Status: Finished. Thanks everybody!

Knock You Off Your Feet

17

He fell.

Oh my God, he fell.

Shaun wins! Shaun wins gold!


I started bouncing up and down and screaming as I watched the coaches and Shaun do the same at the top of the hill. Everyone was celebrating.

Shaun didn’t even have to do his run now. He automatically clinched his medal. But if I knew him, he would do it anyways. For the fans. Like he always did.

He dropped in, getting speed as he went up and down the halfpipe, making his airs simple and straight, saving all of his momentum for the big trick at the end.

I didn’t think he had enough to do it, but he did.

Another flawless double McTwist 1260.

He held up his board in victory as Scotty Lago hugged him. My voice was gone from all of the cheering I had done the past two days, so I clapped and stomped as loud as I could.

They handed him an American flag, which he took with him on the podium, screaming and holding it up behind him. A perfectly timed gust of wind puffed it out, and camera flashes went off everywhere. I waited patiently at the barrier as he did his interview and posed for a picture, and then he came over to me.

“See? You won gold. I knew you could do it.”

“I was afraid I wasn’t gonna land that last one clean.”

“But you did. Like you always do.”

“You think I’m some perfect, godlike snowboarder who can’t mess up, don’t you?” He laughed as he jumped the barrier and wrapped his free arm around me, starting us out towards the village.

“Oh, no. You’re not perfect – you can’t throw a snowball straight.” I ruffled his hair. “You’re not godlike – you’re too skinny.” I poked his side and he laughed. “And everybody messes up. You’re just… really, really, really good. That’s all.”

“You’re coming to the ceremony, right?”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“And then you’re coming to the party, right?”

“Mmhm. You’ll have to find me, though, seeing as I don’t know where it is.”

“Yeah. God, I’m still on the adrenaline rush right now.” He looked up into the sky and cheered. I laughed at him.

“You really are a Flaming Spaz, aren’t you?”

“You know you love me,” he teased.

I didn’t respond.

We parted ways to get ready, and I threw on an old pair of jeans, a plain blue tank top, and Shaun’s old hoodie. My favorite shoes – green Converse hi-tops – were tied tightly and I was comfy. I tucked my phone into my pocket and left, making sure the door locked on my way out.

As I walked outside, listening to my iPod, I noticed two familiar figures in front of me. One was definitely Shaun, and the other was most likely Scotty Lago. I paused the song and debated whether to join them or not, but I decided to hang back and listen.

“So you invited her?” Scotty pressured, tone urgent.

“Yeah, why? It’s not that big of a deal. She’s just Casey.”

“But Shaun, listen. The freaking tabloids could have a field day if they see you and her together. TMZ is everywhere, man, and if they see Team USA’s golden boy flirting and acting couple-y with Team Canada’s superstar, they’re gonna freak out and post stuff online saying how you two are together and how it’s affecting your game.”

“Scott, if they haven’t posted anything yet, they won’t. She fucking kissed me when she won gold. If that’s not online, nothing will be.” He sounded exasperated. “Just let it be. TMZ’s not gonna bother with us. They’ve got crazier celebrities to follow. I’m sure somebody in Hollywood’s stepping out of a car with no underwear on right now. That’s way more important to them.”

“Fine, don’t listen to me, man. But when you have to go home early because of something they post, don’t come crying to me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, Scotty. I love the irony.
My best filler chapter ever. :)
This is dedicated to In Flight Tomato. Feel better soon! <3
Comments?
Thanks to everyone who's subscribed or commented.
And the speech last chapter?
Yeah. I didn't intend for it to be all, "Whoa." It just happened, I guess. :)
Merci beaucoup!