Status: Completed :D

A Lesson in Relationships

Chapter 8

I drum my fingers on my desk and wait. Alex would text me to pick him up. He always did, but it was now six and he had yet to call.

I sigh and reach across the desk and grab my phone speed dialing him. There's no answer and am soon greeted by his voicemail.

Hi, you've reached Alex. I'm not here at the moment, but leave me a message and your number and I'll try to get back to you. Unless you’re my mom, then I’m ignoring you.

"Lex, it's me. You didn't call me like usual to pick you up I hope nothing’s wrong. Well I'll see you soon. Okay bye." I hang up and try to do my home work. Keyword is try to, I can’t concentrate, my mind keeps wandering to Alex.

“Ugh!” I groan, throwing my pencil at the wall, “Screw this!” I get and decide to take a shower. That would give me something to do. I didn’t need to concentrate to take a shower.

I grab my phone and place it on the edge of the sink and start to take my clothes off. I go through the usual routine. I shut the water off and step out. I wrap a towel around my waist and groan that Alex had yet to text me back. I walk into my bedroom and throw on a pair of basketball shorts.

Maybe his parents took his phone away, I think. That's gotta be it.

I sit back at my desk and work on my homework.

--

Alex hasn't been to school since Monday. It is now Friday and the last class of he day and still no Alex. I hadn't been able to get in touch with him either. And the last couple of days Prin. Berri has been giving me smug looks.

"He's still watching you, dude," Zack informs, gettin into the passengers seat.

"He's been doing that since Tuesday. It's starting to get on my nerves." I say, turning on my car.

"That's pretty weird dude."

"I know."

"How's Alex by the way? He doesn't return my texts."

"I'd live to know too, Zack, but he hasn't talked to me either."

"Oh... Is something wrong in the ever so happy Jalex-world? I'm kidding Jack, I didn't mean anything bad about it."

“I know, Zack, but hey, we'll see him tomorrow. I mean he never skips on band practice and I think his parents might have taken his phone. He hasn't had a detention in forever. So that's what I'm guessing.”

--

It’s now Saturday and I’m sitting on the couch in my basement. Alex had finally convinced everyone that we needed a different place to practice. He said a change of environment would be good for all of us.

Zack and Rian were here already and waiting for Alex to show up. Zack looks up from his bass, “Are you sure Alex is gonna show up?” He asks.

“For all I know he is. He hasn’t said otherwise.”

Zack nods in response and continues tuning. I sigh and lean back closing my eyes. I hadn’t gotten much sleep lately. I had been going through drug withdrawal. Who knew Alex was so addicting?

I practically jump off the couch when I hear the basement door open, then close and the shuffle of feet coming down the stairs.

Alex stands there sheepishly, fiddling with the sleeves of his over-sized sweatshirt. He crosses his arms and walks around the room before speaking, “Hi, guys,” His voice is raspy and hoarse. He sits on a rolling chair across the room.

“Hey, Lex,” I smile padding a seat next to me, expecting him to get up and sit next to me. He doesn’t. “Where have you been?”

His eyes fall to the floor and ignore the stares he receiving from all of us. He sits there, quietly. He looks at his hands and picks at his fingernails.

“Lex?” I say again, softer this time, as if I were trying to calm a crying child.

He looks up, fake smile on his face, “I was really sick and made really good friends with the toilet.”

I nod; the fake smile had to be that he was still feeling like shit. That seemed normal; band practice was something Alex would go to even if he was dying.

“Sorry to hear that dude, you’re feeling better, though, right? We can cancel practice if you want.” Rian speaks.

He shakes his head, “No I feel kinda better and I really need something to take my mind off of it.”

“Makes sense,” Zack smiles, “Then let’s gets started.” He gets up and grabs his bass and Rian moves towards his drums. Alex and I stay seated. He stares at me with sad eyes. “Are you guys coming?”

“I’m coming I’m coming.” I say standing up.

“That’s what he said,” Alex jokes. I glance back at him and he still seems to be pushing himself to act like this.

It’s about an hour later and Alex’s voice seems to be struggling a bit. He seems to be unhappy with playing his guitar as well.

“Lex are you okay?” I ask.

“My throat just hurts a bit. Sorry guys, but do you mind if we just stop there.”

“Of course not,” We all say in unison.

He sighs, relieved and sits on the couch. I sit next to him, while Zack and Rian pack up and leave. I put my arm around his waist and he shifts uncomfortably. I tilt my head confused and pull him closer.

He pushes me away and stands up. He looks at me with pleading eyes. It’s now I notice his eyes looked different. They didn’t shine like they normaly did. They were dull. I get up and put my arms around his waist and hold on tight as he protests. “Lex, what’s the matter.

He doesn’t respond and I instantly think back to this summer. “Lex, did something happen?”

He shakes his head no, “Nothing happen, Jack.” His eyes have tears in them, but they don’t fall. “I, um… I’m sorry.” He buries his head in my chest and I can feel his tears dampening my shirt.

“Lex, you can tell me. Did something happen? Are you still sick?” I ask my mind jumping to the fact he gets all emotional when he’s sick.

“Nothing happened, Jack. I’m just a terrible boyfriend. I’m gonna go. I’ll um, I’ll see you at school.”

He walks up the stairs, leaving me confused and wondering what he meant by that.
♠ ♠ ♠
new chapters later this week i have 9 and 10 typed. can i ask for 3 comments????