Let Your Heart Win

Epilogue

Perched on his grandfather’s shoulders, James Elwin Haner smiled as they watched his father play on stage. He was almost two years old, the image of his mother but with the black hair and brown eyes of his father.

As the set finished and the crowd cheered, James lowered his grandson to his feet, allowing him to run onto stage with his father, who picked him up and handed him a pick to throw into the crowd.

“Cali not back then I take it?” Brian asked James as he walked off stage.

“She’s just rung, she’s on her way back to the hotel now.” he replied with a smile, Brian giving a silent nod. “If it helps, she sounded happy.” he added with a wink.
Brian couldn’t help but smile in return, “Good. Wish I could have gone with her though.”

“I know son, but she understands. Now, we better get you back to the hotel, we’ve got a long evening ahead of us.” James replied.

Brian rolled his eyes, “Ugh, yeah only Seward would be dull enough to double book something as important as –“

“It wasn’t me, it was Rachel!” Johnny yelled as he came up along side them. “You’d think that after living in the states for over three years now, she’d be used to the fact that we write the date differently than in the Uk.”

“Dude relax, everything’s turned out okay hasn’t it? It’s still going ahead. Just be glad she didn’t totally fu-mess up and book it for when we were on the other side of the country or even out of the country completely.” Matt said as he joined them.

“I know, I guess I’m just a bit nervous is all.” Johnny said as they excited the venue, making their way over to the bus that was going to drive them to the hotel.

“Nervous? Christ, this is nothing, Nerves is what Gates had the morning of his wedding.” Matt chuckled, earning a glare from Brian.

“Up yours man, at least I wasn’t nervous enough to bail like you did.” He replied.

“He what!” Brian’s eyes widened at the sound of Val’s high pitched voice, thankful for the fact that he had his son on his lap, stopping both Matt and Val from hurting him.

“Only for like an hour baby. I freaked a little when I found out that you were having Callum, that’s all.” Matt explained quickly, breathing a sigh of relief as Val’s expression softened at the sound of their three month old son’s name.

“You know, Fran and I had to postpone our wedding.” James said with a reminiscent smile.

“Really? Why?” Val asked.

“Because she got drunk and passed out.” Brian said with a chuckle, having heard the story a few times, James nodding next to him.

“Yep, she was a little nervous and made her way through three bottles of champagne, then she went into get changed into her dress and passed out on the bed. She had to be plied with coffee for an hour to get her sober enough to walk down the aisle.” He explained.

The bus soon came to a halt, everyone getting off and heading into the hotel to get ready. Brian carried James up to their room, where they found Cali led on the bed, staring up at the ceiling.

“Mommy!” James yelled, squirming out of Brian’s grasp and running over to the bed, clambering up.

“Hey little dude, did you have fun with Grampy watching daddy play?” she asked as Brian joined them on the bed.

“Yeah, but it was loud.” He replied with a frown.

“They did make you wear those earplugs though right?” she asked, glancing over at Brian.

“Of course he did.” Brian said with a smile as James nodded his head.

“Sorry.” Cali muttered with a smile.

“It’s okay. So…?” he replied with a hopeful grin.

“About seven weeks.” she replied in a whisper.

A large smile broke across Brian’s face as he moved closer to his wife, a hand reaching out to lie on her toned stomach. “I’m going to be a daddy again.”

“Yep, at about the end of February, but we’ll know for sure when we have the dating scan in a couple of weeks.” she explained.

“I love you Mrs Haner.” He replied quietly, pressing his lips gently against hers.

“Love you too.” she replied with a smile. “I suppose we better start getting ready. How’s Johnny?”

“A little nervous, but he’s good. What about Rachel?” he asked as they both got off the bed.

“She’s good, she spent the morning singing.” She replied with a smile.

“Oh dear lord, hope you all had the earplugs we’ve been giving the kids?” Brian said with a chuckle.

“Leave her alone, she’s excited.” Cali scolded as she walked towards the bathroom. “Now look after our son while I get ready.”

Cali smiled proudly as she walked down the aisle of the hotel’s wedding chapel ahead of Rachel and her father. She was the matron of honour, the other three girls were bridesmaids and James was the page boy, walking slowly and steadily down the aisle in front of her, carrying a pillow with the rings on.

She felt a flutter in her stomach as her eyes briefly met Brian’s, memories of their wedding day fourteen months before coming to the forefront of her mind.

She took her spot at the alter, continuing to smile as she watched Johnny, the love he felt for Rachel evident on his face as he watched her walk slowly towards him, his eyes never once leaving hers.

As they exchanged vows, Cali’s eyes once again found Brian’s, smiling as he mouthed “I love you.” across to her and she mouthed the same back, wanting nothing more at that moment than to be stood with her hand in his.

The formalities that followed the ceremony seemed, to Cali, to take forever and she was thankful when everything was done and she had the chance to finally relax at the start of the evening reception.

Sat at a table with the rest of their friends, Cali chuckled as James tried to argue with his father about going to bed, insisting that he wasn’t tired despite yawning uncontrollably and finding it increasingly difficult to keep his eyes open.

“Say goodnight to your mom so I can take you up to bed.” Brian said as he stood up with his son.

“Good night mommy.” He said through a yawn, leaning from his fathers’ arms to hug and kiss his mother.

“Goodnight sweetie, love you.” she replied.

“I won’t be long.” Brian murmured into her ear before taking James up to their room.

“Can I take this opportunity while your husband’s not here to have a dance?” Cali looked up to see her father stood next to her, offering her his hand.

“Of course, lead the way.” She replied, taking his hand and allowing him to lift her from her seat and to the middle of the dance floor.

“It’s hard to believe that it’s already been over a year since I was dancing with you at your wedding.” James mused with a smile.

“I know, time has gone so quickly.” she replied.

“So, the doctor’s appointment this morning?” he asked quietly.

“No flies on you are there?” she asked as James shook his head with a smile. “I’m seven weeks, or thereabouts.”

“That’s fantastic news sweetie, you wouldn’t believe what it means to me to see you so happy.” he replied kissing her cheek.

“I am happy dad. Extremely happy. I have a wonderful husband, an amazing son and another child on the way. There’s nothing that could make me happier.” She replied with a smile.

“And you’re okay with Brian being away for the next couple of months?” he asked timidly.

Cali sighed, “Of course it’s not ideal dad, but it’s his job, and me and James are going to be with him over the summer anyway. It’s going to be fine.” She told him.

“I know sweetie, and I’m sorry, I’m just…”

“I know dad.” She said with a smile.

“I’m proud of you Cali Haner. I don’t say it enough.” He said.

“I love you dad.” She said reaching up to kiss his cheek. They danced for a little while longer until Brian returned and took James’ place.

“Did he go to sleep okay?” she asked as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

“Straight off, he was exhausted.” He replied with a smile.

“Dad knows.” She said after a brief moment of silence.

“Yeah, I guessed he must have put two and two together earlier. Is he happy with the news?” he asked quietly.

“Of course he is.” She said gazing up into his chocolate brown eyes.

Brian slowly lowered his lips to hers, allowing them to linger briefly against each other. “I love you so fucking much.” He murmured.

“I love you too.” she replied, her hands reaching up, lacing her fingers through his hair.

“I’m so glad we got drunk that night in Berlin.” He said with a smile.

“And that night in London.” She added with a smirk.

“And I’m glad you were persistent in the beginning too.” she said.

“Me too, but baby, I’ve told you so many times, I knew there was something about you, there was something telling me that you were worth being persistent for, worth all the hassle, worth pursuing. I knew that it’d be forever with you.” He told her with a smile.

She continued to smile as she leaned up to press her lips to his, “Forever and always.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And That's it! The End!
Thank you so much to everyone who's read, subscribed and commented on this and the prequel, it mean's a lot to me!
Cali

For those of you who are interested, I have a new story, Scars and for anyone who read my story Love is a Losing Game, I've decided to write a sequel, Led By Pride