Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 20

Dressed in a hospital gown, Cali paced around her private hospital room, her hands rubbing circles over her swollen stomach. She and Brian had been at the hospital for almost three hours and labour was progressing slowly, her contractions coming every ten minutes.

On arrival, once she was settled in her room, the others had been called to let them know what was going on. They had arrived shortly afterwards as well as Brian’s dad, Suzy and McKenna.

As she felt another contraction hit her, she stopped pacing, grabbing hold of the mattress as she breathed though it, feeling Brian come up behind her and gently rub her back.

“How long?” she whispered as she relaxed slightly again.

“Seven minutes.” Brian replied with a quick glance at his watch.

She nodded, taking slow, deep breaths lifting her head at the sound of the door opening.
“How are things going?” the doctor asked with a warm smile.

“Seven minutes.” Brian told her as Cali got onto the bed.

“That’s good progress, now lets see if you’re a little more dilated.” She said as Cali prepared herself for what had become a routine examination in the past three hours.

“Any joy?” Cali asked as the doctor washed her hands.

“A little, you’re now seven centimetres, we’re starting to move a long a little quicker now, so I’ll be back in about twenty minutes to check up on you, unless you need me before.” she replied with a smile. both Cali and Brian nodded as she left, Brian pulling a chair closer to the bed, taking hold of Cali’s hand as there was a soft knock at the door.

“Come in.” Cali called, watching as the door opened, her mothers stepping into the room.

“Hey sweetie, how’s things going?” she asked with a smile, walking over to the bed.

“Hey, things are coming on nicely apparently. Contractions are every seven minutes and I’m seven centimetres.” She replied, pausing briefly before she spoke again. “Does dad know?”

Fran nodded quietly, her eyes lowered, “Yeah he knows, he arrived back at the house just before you called to tell me you were in labour. I asked him if he was coming to the hospital but he said no and left. I’m sorry honey, I really don’t know what’s going on with him, I really thought he was accepting the fact that you and Brian are together, engaged and about to become parent’s together.”

“It’s not your fault mom, it’s-“ Cali trailed off, clutching her stomach, her grip on Brian’s hand tightening.

“Five minutes.” Brian muttered as she took deep breaths.

~*~

“I can’t do this anymore.” Cali whined, her hair soaked with sweat, her cheeks flushed.

“Yes you can baby, come on, her head’s almost out.” Brian told her quietly, her hands firmly within his.

“I can’t.” she cried.

“Brian’s right, she’s crowning, two more pushes and she should be here.” The doctor said with an encouraging smile.

Cali nodded slowly, struggling to keep her eyes open as Brian kissed her shoulder from where he was sat behind her on the bed. “You can do it baby.”

She gripped his fingers, faintly hearing him mutter something about getting them insured before they have another baby. The doctor gave her an assuring nod and an encouraging smile as she felt the need to push.

Exhaustion and relief washed over Cali as she relaxed into Brian having delivered their baby, the small cry feeling like music to her ears.

“Oh my god, she’s…hey, why has she got a –“ Brian said, pointing at the tiny baby the doctor had handed to Cali.

“We must have read the scan wrong.” The doctor said with a small shrug and an apologetic smile.

“What?” Cali asked, confusion filling her mind, her eyes scanning the baby in her arms, her eyes widening when she realised she was holding a boy.

“I’m sorry, it’s usually the other way around when we get it wrong, but you have a beautiful baby boy.” The doctor said.

“A boy?” Cali whispered, a smile on her lips as Brian reached around her to cut the cord.

“You okay with that?” Brian asked kissing her cheek, brushing stray strands of hair out of her face as their son was taken to be cleaned, weighed and clothed.

“Yeah, I couldn’t be happier.” She replied.

“I love you.” he whispered as the tiny baby was placed in her arms.

“I love you too.” she replied, turning her head slightly so that she could kiss Brian. “Thank you.”

“No, thank you, he’s perfect. I’m so happy.” Brian replied. He kissed her cheek again, the two of them both staring at their son for the longest of times, before they were then taken back into a room.

“I guess I should go tell the guys our news.” Brian said with a proud smile.
Cali nodded, barely able to allow her eyes to drift away from the tiny bundle in her arms. Brian kissed her cheek once again, and leaned down to kiss his son’s forehead before stepping out of the room.

He walked down the corridor, finding the waiting room filled with his friends and family.
“Everything okay?” Rachel was the first to speak as she saw him walking towards them.

“Everything’s perfect.” He replied with a beaming smile. “There’s just one thing.”

“What? Is Cali okay? Stephanie?” everyone’s eyes fell on Brian as Fran stepped forward panic in her eyes.

“Cali’s fine Fran, they both are. But, well when we had the scan a while back, they kinda read it wrong.” Brian said, taking Fran’s hand gently to assure her.

“Oh my god, it’s twins isn’t it?” Jimmy yelled.

Brian shook his head, “No, they actually got the sex wrong; we’ve had a baby boy not a girl.”

“A boy?”

Brian turned at the sound of a familiar voice that he hadn’t expected to hear.

“Yeah, you’ve got a grandson.” He said quietly as James took a small step forward.

“Brian, I’m sorry, I’ve acted like a stubborn fool these past nine months.”

“Those aren’t the words I’d use.” Fran muttered, her arms folded across her chest.

“Okay, my wife has a point, my behaviour has been unacceptable. Is it too late to say I’m sorry? To ask for forgiveness?” he said, everyone’s eyes fixed on the two males.

“Mr Hetfield, I love Cali, more than I ever thought possible. I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her, being a family together. Her happiness is paramount to me. All she has wanted these past nine months is for you to be happy for her, for us, to accept that we’re together and that we love each other. All I’ve wanted was for you to quit being stubborn and accept that I make your daughter happy while I’ve had to watch her heart skip a beat every time the phone rang or there was a knock at the door, hoping it was you.” Brian said quietly, his whole body trembling as he spoke.

“I’m happy for you to walk into that room, to hold your grandson, to be part of our lives again, but you can’t hurt her anymore, I won’t let you.”

James took a deep breath and another step forward. “I won’t. I just want to be part of her life again.”

Brian nodded, taking a step forward, closer to James, holding out his hand, which James immediately took.

“Do you want to see your grandson?” Brian asked.

“Please.” James replied with a smile.

Brian turned to walk back towards Cali’s room, James and Fran following closely behind.

“You up for a visitor babe?” Brian asked quietly as he walked back into the room.

“Yeah I guess.” She replied with a smile. Brian stepped further into the room, holding the door open to allow Fran and James to step into the room.

“Hey baby girl.” James said as Cali stared at him.

“Hey.” she replied quietly.

“I’m sorry, I’ve been an idiot. Please forgive me.” he said, crossing the room to the bed.

“I’m so glad you’re here.” Cali muttered, fighting back tears. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too baby girl. I’ve been such a fucking stubborn idiot.” He said.

“Language dad.” Cali scolded lightly.

“Sorry.” He blushed.

“It’s okay. Can I ask though, what’s with the guitar?” she asked, gesturing towards the small guitar that James had been holding firmly in his hand.

“Oh, well um, I bought it about six months ago and when you called to say that you were in labour I had to go pick it up. I wanted to give my grandchild their first guitar.” He explained.

“Just don’t tell Brian’s dad, he wanted to do the same thing.” She said with a smile.

“So did I.” Brian said with a smile.

“Sorry.” James muttered.

“Don’t be, it means more coming from you.” Brian said.

“Do you want to hold him?” Cali asked.

“Does he have a name?” Fran asked as James took the tiny baby into his arms. “I take it you’re not sticking with Stephanie.”

Cali giggled, glancing at Brian who nodded his head. “Actually we had a name picked out for a boy before we knew what we’d be having. We’re naming him James Elwin.”

“James?” James asked quietly with a small smile on his lips.

“Sweetie, it’s a beautiful name.” Fran said as Brian sat on the bed next to Cali, taking her hand in his and turning to kiss her cheek.

James and Fran stayed a little while longer before they left to allow Brian’s family to visit, then the others crowded in, all taking it in turns to hold baby James.

After almost two hours of visitors, Cali let out a yawn, finding it continuingly harder to keep her eyes open.

“Okay guys, you all have homes to go to.” Brian said, standing from the bed.

“But I haven’t finished holding him.” Val whined with a pout.

“He’s not going anywhere Val.” Zack chuckled.

“Yeah baby, come on, give him back, these guys need some rest.” Matt said.

“Okay.” Val said passing James back to Brian. “I want one though.”

“Well maybe we could go practice making one.” Matt told her, a smile breaking across her face.

They all said their goodbyes, finally leaving Cali and Brian alone again with their son. Brian joined Cali on the bed again, both of them finding themselves staring at James with smiles on their faces.

“I love you.” Cali whispered. Brian looked up at her and smiled.

“I love you too.” he replied leaning over to kiss her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's the end guys! Apart from an epilogue!
Thank you all so much for the comments, they mean so much to me, please keep up the good work :)