Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 3

“I’ve got to get out of here. I need to get to Cali.” Brian yelled at Matt as he tugged at the wires that had been helping him over the past four weeks.

“Dude, wait you’ve just woken up from a four week coma, you can’t just walk out of here.” Matt replied in a panic.

“I don’t care, I’ve got to go and see Cali-“ he began, opening the drawers of the cabinet next to his bed in search for clothes.

“Dude, seriously you’ve got to calm the fuck down, -“ Matt tried to protest.

“I’ve just overheard Michelle screaming at her and possibly beating the crap out of her…” Brian yelled back at his best friend. “And I’m sure I’ve just heard Johnny say she’s pregnant.” He added.

“Pregnant? Dude! But you can’t really blame Michelle for wanting to hurt her…” Matt replied cautiously.

“She’s been cheating on me for almost two years Matt, she’s a hypocrite.” He spat back as he pushed his feet into his trainers. “Now I need to get to Cali, so are you going to drive me or what?”

“Okay, okay, it’s against my better judgement, but I know your going to go whether I help you or not, so come on, let’s go.” He replied turning and walking out of the hospital room.

“Brian? You’re awake?” Val screamed as they walked down the corridor. “And up and walking around?” she continued with confusion as they reached her.

“We’ll explain in the car, come on.” Brian replied as he continued his way past her.

“What? Where are you going?” Val replied, calling after them.

“We’ll explain on the way now come on!” Matt replied.

“Okay, Okay, calm the fuck down!” Johnny yelled at whoever was banging the hell out of Cali’s front door. Since Michelle had left, Cali had locked herself in the bathroom and Rachel had been sat outside trying to talk to her.

“Where is she?” Brian demanded as he barged past Johnny as soon as he’d opened the door.

“She locked herself in the bathroom, Rachel’s trying to talk to her.” he explained as Brian made his way towards the bathroom.

He stopped abruptly at the sight of Rachel sat on the floor, resting against the wall to the left of the bathroom door.

“Rach, can I try?” he asked quietly gaining her attention. She nodded before turning her head towards the door.

“Cal, I’m going to go, but there’s someone else here to talk to you.” she said before standing up without a reply. She stood up and walked towards Brian, who was slowly making his way towards the door. “You better not be here to hurt her.” she muttered warningly as she past him.

“Rach, I love her.” he replied simply as he turned to knock lightly against the door.

“Cali, baby, it’s me, Brian. Can I come in?” he asked quietly. There was silence. “Babe, please, I really need to talk to you, I’ve missed you like crazy. Please.” He continued. Then there was a shuffling noise followed by the click of the lock opening.

Brian pushed the door open and let himself in, taking a small step back when a small black lump growled at his feet.

“Hey little dude. Who are you?” he said as he bent down to greet the dog once he realised that that’s what it was.

“That’s Boscoe.” Cali murmured quietly as Brian picked him up and closed the door behind him.

“He’s cute, but my memory isn’t fucked is it? You didn’t have him before the accident?” he asked as he sat down next to her where she was sat on the cold tiled floor resting against the bath.

She let out a small chuckle before shaking her head slightly. “No, he’s new.” She replied.

“Good.” He replied glancing over at her. “Cali, I’m sorry, for Michelle, for everything.” he added quietly.

She looked up at him with blood shot eyes and gently shook her head. “It’s not your fault Bri. It’s not your fault you’ve been in a coma for the past four weeks, and to be fair I can understand why Michelle turned up here kicking and screaming at me, I’d have done the same if I were her.” she replied, her voice croaky.

“She had no right to be angry about us, she’s been cheating on me this entire time, she was even talking to him on the phone when she was sat next to me at the hospital.” He replied quietly.

“Really? I mean you could hear her?” she asked.

“Yeah, kind of, I could make out bits of the conversation and it was a it hazy in parts but I heard enough. When I woke up fully I told her the truth. I was finally able to tell her that I don’t love her, that I love you.” he replied watching as a small smile appeared on Cali’s face.

“Brian, what happened? I mean, I know about the crash, but –“

“I was on my way to tell Michelle that I was leaving her, and some dipshit ran a red light at the intersection. I thought that was it. I was just thankful that I was going to die with you knowing that I loved you.” he replied.

“I love you too.” she replied in a whisper, tilting her head so that her lips could brush softly against his.

“I’m sorry I didn’t come and visit, but I just couldn’t…I wanted to, but when I got there when you were first admitted, she was already there, crying at your bedside and I couldn’t handle it. I’m sorry.” She replied. “And I did try a few times since. I even sat in the hospital parking lot for three hours on evening.” She added before he could open his mouth to reply.

“There’s no need to be sorry, I just wish I could have gotten to tell her everything before the accident. I keep wondering if I would have woken up sooner if you were the one sat by my bedside.” He replied.

“Now, tell me something, I heard most of what happened here just now when I was on the phone to Johnny, but did she hurt you?” he asked.

“It’s nothing that won’t heal in a few days.” She replied quietly.

“Okay, so did I also hear Johnny right? Are you pregnant?” he asked timidly.

“Yeah, I am, I found out a few hours ago.” she replied nervously.

“Are you okay with it?” Brian asked.

Cali lifted her head and looked at him thoughtfully for a few moments. “What do you mean?”

“Well, are you okay with the thought of being pregnant, of having a baby, my baby? Are you ready for it?” he explained.

“An hour ago, I wasn’t too sure. I thought that there was a strong possibility that I was going to be a single mother. I didn’t know whether you were ever going to come out of the coma, and even if you did there was always the possibility that you would have memory loss or would be mad at me for not visiting you, or you’d change your mind or just freak out when I told you.” she rambled nervously.

“And what about now, knowing that I love you and don’t intend on going anywhere?” he asked with a smile tugging at his thin lips.

“With that in mind, I know I’m ready for this. I can be a mom. But are you ready to be a dad?” she replied with a smile.

“It’s not really what I was expecting to wake up from a coma to, but yeah, as long as I’ve got you, I can do it.” He replied.

“Good.” She replied simply, dropping her head gently onto his shoulder.

“So was this guy supposed to be my replacement?” he asked scratching Boscoe behind his ear as he sat in his lap.

“Well you know, dark hair, big brown eyes, cuddly…” she replied with a smile.

“So I’ve got some competition huh?” he asked looking down at Boscoe.

“I think you’ll win…just.” She replied.

“I can deal with that. Now, something else we’re got to deal with is sitting out in your living room.” he said, gaining a confused look from Cali. “Val and Matt are here, and I would suggest you tell them you’re pregnant before we explain anything else, Val will be a lot less likely to explode knowing you’re pregnant.” He said.

“That’s fine by me, but you do realise that she may still kick your ass.” She replied as he helped her up.

“Not if I keep hold of this fella and stand behind you.” he replied with a smile as he opened the bathroom door, standing back to let her through first.

“Pussy.” She muttered shaking her head as she left the bathroom.

“Right! Now that you two are out of hiding, maybe I’ll get some answers. What the fuck is going on?” Val screamed as Cali and Brian entered the living room.

“Okay, Val, we’ll tell you, but you’ve got to promise to listen and not get too mad okay?” Cali said, calmly.

“Okay, just tell me please.” She replied a little quieter.

“Cali and I are together.” Brian stated quickly shocking himself as much as anyone else.

“What? But what about Michelle?” Val replied.

“We’re over Val, we have been for a long time we just never admitted it or did anything about it. She’s been cheating on me for about two years, and I’ve been cheating on her with Cali since I met her in Berlin. I love her, and she loves me.” he explained with a growing smile.

“There’s something else as well.” Cali said watching as Val processed the information.

“Cali’s pregnant, we’re going to have a baby together.” Brian added.

“I can’t believe it, I thought you and Michelle were meant to be.” Val said quietly with a small shake of her head. “I thought you were going to marry her and wait…you’re pregnant? With Brian’s baby?”

“Yeah.” Cali replied with a grin and a nod of her head.

“Oh but that’s brilliant news, congratulations!” she cheered leaping up from the sofa and engulfing Cali in a hug.

“Thanks.” Cali muttered.

“Baby are you okay? That was a bit of an extreme change then?” Matt asked quietly.

“Yeah, and to be fair, I was expecting a lot more yelling.” Brian added.

“I’m fine. I guess as long as everyone’s happy that’s all that matters right?” she replied.

“Well I don’t know about ho happy Michelle is she didn’t seem too happy earlier.” Rachel said.

“What do you mean?” Val asked.

“She came over and started hitting me and stuff.” Cali said nervously.

“She did what? She better not have hurt that baby. I swear!” Val replied angrily.

“Val, relax, the baby will be fine, and it’s not as if she knew, and she had just found out that I’d been sleeping with her boyfriend.” Cali replied.

“Don’t make excuses for her-“ Val began as just as they were interrupted by Matt’s cell phone ringing.

“Dude, relax, he’s here.” Matt said with a chuckle gaining everyone’s attention. “It’s Jimmy, he’s at the hospital.” He said to them with a smile.

“Tell him to come over, I guess we have some explaining to do.” Cali said with a smile of her own. “Call the others too.”

“Are you sure you want to do this now?” Brian asked in a whisper in her ear.

“Yeah, let’s get everything out in the open.” she replied leaning up to peck his lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys have been so awesome with this story already and this is only the third chapter! So a big thank you to all of you who have read, subscribed and commented! And as always, keep them coming :)