Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 8

Other than the noise created by the cutlery clanking against the dishes, breakfast proceeded in silence. Rachel and Johnny exchanged quiet, worried looks with each other as Cali stirred the Cheerio’s around in the milk.

“You don’t have to be silent because of me you know.” she stated solemnly lifting her eyes from the bowl.

“Sorry Cali, but are you okay sweetie?” Rachel asked.

“I really don’t know. I’ve barely slept thinking about what happened last night.” She replied.

“Did he stay long?”

“No, I told him it would be best if he left, let you calm down.” Rachel explained and Cali nodded.

“Johnny, I want you to be completely honest with me now.” she began turning to face him. He nodded to show that he understood and she continued.

“Do you have any idea what’s going on?”

“Cali, I swear, if I knew I’d tell you. He told us yesterday that he had to pop out for an hour at lunch time but I have no idea where. I’m sorry, I wish I knew.” He replied.

Again Cali nodded in reply. “Thanks Johnny, that means a lot to me. Okay, both of you…do you think he’s cheating on me?”

Immediately both of them shook their heads. “No, I really don’t think he would.” Johnny said.

“Sweetie, I really don’t know what he’s up to, but I don’t think he’s cheating. He loves you.” Rachel added.

“Exactly, Cal he loves you more than anything. He’s head over heals for you.” Johnny assured her.

“So why has he been so secretive?” she asked in a whisper.

“I wish we could tell you sweetie, but maybe you should ask him.” Rachel said. Cali sighed deeply and nodded.

“Maybe you’re right. Can I take a shower before I go and talk to him?” she asked.

“Of course you can sweetie.” Rachel replied as Cali stood from the table. “You know where everything is don’t you? Cos I’ve got to head off to work.”

“Yeah, I’m sure I can find everything. See you guys later.” She replied with a smile.

“He better not be cheating on her.” Rachel muttered once Cali had left the room.

“I know, but I really don’t think he is.” Johnny replied quietly as he placed their dishes in the dishwasher.

“We’ll see what happens hey?” she replied gathering her belongings. “Are you still walking to work with me?”

“Yeah, let me just grab my cell.” he answered.

As they walked out of the house they found Brian’s car parked at the end of the driveway and on closer inspection they could see Brian sat in the driver’s seat.

“Has he been out here all night?” Rachel asked as they approached the car.

“Looks like it.” Johnny replied as he gently tapped the window. Brian, who had been sat with his eyes closed, jumped slightly, his eyes snapping open as he looked around at them. He rubbed his eyes as he rolled down the window.

“Dude, have you been out here all night?” Johnny asked.

“I haven’t missed her have I?” he asked ignoring the question.

“No, she’s still here. She’s taking a shower right now, but I know she wants to talk to you to find out what’s going on.” Rachel replied.

“Nothing’s going on. I’m not cheating on her I promise.” He replied.

“Then go tell her that dude.” Johnny said, passing Brian the key to his house.

“Thanks Johnny.” Brian said getting out of the car.

“Just sort things out.” he replied with a small smile, stepping aside to allow Brian to walk up the drive way.

He took a deep breath as opened the door, not entirely sure how Cali would react to him being there. He closed the door behind him and made his way into the living room before heading towards the stairs where he heard running water coming from the bathroom. With a sigh he sat down on the floor opposite the bathroom, leaning his head against the wall and closing his eyes.

When he heard the water shut off he sat up straight again and waited apprehensively for the door to open.

“Shit, Brian! You scared the shit outta me! How did you get in here?” she said as she clutched her hand over her heart.

“Sorry, Johnny gave me his key, he said it was okay. I needed to talk to you.” he said quietly as he stood up.

“I was going to call you.” she replied.

“Babe, I –“ he began as he took a step closer to her.

“I need to get dressed. I’ll be down in a second.” She said glancing towards the stairs. Brian nodded before turning and walking back down the stairs.

Cali quickly dried herself and got dressed before heading back down the stairs finding Brian sat on the sofa. She nervously sat down on the love seat opposite him, placing her hands in her lap.

“Babe I –“ Brian began.

“Just don’t lie to me Brian! I know you weren’t at the studio yesterday. I saw you with that woman.” She replied quickly watching as Brian’s jaw hung open.

“You saw me?” he whispered.

“Yes Brian I saw you with that red head.” She spat angrily.

“Shit.” He muttered running his hand through his hair. “Shit babe, you weren’t meant to –“

“Oh I bet I wasn’t meant to! How could you Brian?” she retorted loudly.

“No! Babe, please listen to me. It’s not what it looked like. It was meant to be a surprise. She’s a realtor.” He said calmly.

Cali stared at him for a long moment, making sure she was hearing him correctly. “A realtor?” she said finally.

“Yes.” Brian replied taking a deep breath before he continued. “Her name’s Jody, she’s been showing me a few houses in the area.”

“But why? I mean I thought we were decorating –“ she stuttered with confusion.

“I know, but I got to thinking and decided that we should start our family in a brand new home. One that’s new to both of us, so Jody’s been looking and she’s found this one house that I know you’ll love.” He explained a faint smile growing over his thin lips.

“A house? Of our own?” she asked quietly, still unsure if what she was hearing was real.

“Yes, over on Cloverwood Circle. I can take you over there now to see it if you want. I have the keys.” He replied.

“You’ve really got us a house?” she asked.

“I can finalise later today, unless you decide you don’t like it of course.” He told her. “So do you want to see it?”

“Yes.” she answered simply taking hold of his hand as he helped her up.
Brian led her gently out to the car, taking her hand again once he’d pulled out of the driveway.

After a couple of silent minutes of driving Brian pulled up into the driveway of a beautiful beige bricked house with a gray tile roof.

“This house?” Cali asked quietly in disbelief. “It’s beautiful.”

“Come take a look inside.” He replied getting out of the car.

She followed him up the steps to the front door, scanning her new surroundings as he led her into the large white hallway.

“Come on, I’ll show you up stairs first.” He said leading her over to the wooden stairs.
After showing her the master bedroom with en-suite bathroom and two other bedrooms Brian guided Cali further down the hallway, stopping outside another door.

“Now obviously we can decorate it however you want to, but I thought this room would make a perfect nursery.” He said with a smile before opening the door and stepping to the side to let her in. she smiled as she looked around at the cream coloured walls, imagining what it would look like with nursery furniture in it.

“Do you like it?” Brian asked as he stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

“It’s perfect.” She whispered with a smile.

“Do you want to see the rest of the house?” she nodded silently, turning in his arms and again allowing him to lead her through the rest of the house and finally out into the back yard where there was a large lawn, a patio area with a seating area and outside fireplace and a swimming pool.

“So, what do you think? Shall I go though with the sale?” he asked pulling her gently towards him so that they were facing each other.

“It’s absolutely beautiful; I can’t believe it can actually be ours.” She replied smiling up at him. “Brian, I’m sorry I ever doubted you, I should have known better.”

“That’s okay babe, I shouldn’t have been so secretive, but I just wanted to surprise you.” he replied.

“I know, and for the record, it’s the best surprise I’ve ever had.” She said leaning up to kiss his lips, briefly pushing her tongue into his mouth. “I love you Brian Haner.”

“I love you too Cali Hetfield.” He replied pecking her lips once more. “Guess I better tell Jody that I’ll be heading over to the office to finalise the deal.”

As Brian took out his cell to call Jody, Cali turned back to take a look at her new home. The home she would share with Brian and where they would soon be a family. The home she would be happy in for years to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Of course he wasn't cheating! :)
Thanks as always to all of you who have taken the time to read, comment and subscribe to this story, it means a lot to me...keep up the good work :)
I would like my subscribers to check out another Brian story written by my friend This Left Feels Right

Brian and Cali's new house