Status: Finished.

He's Dying to Get Inside

Every thing's Changed but I Still Feel the Same

Raylee stood in front of the mirror in her friend's room, adjusting the strapless dress that Kara had forced on her. The dress fit to her figure perfectly, accenting what curves her small frame held. It was a silky lush green fabric that almost glittered when the light hit it, causing Ray's hazel eyes to pop beneath the small layer of makeup she'd applied. Her hair fell around her face, in curls that Kara had adjusted with her straightener and curling iron.

"Why the red bra Ray? I can run to the store and get you a strapless one."

"It has a meaning, I need it for luck."

The taller girl made a face, "There's something about you today, please fill me in. I don't like being clueless." she paused, "Wait, luck for what?"

"I'm going to possibly make the second biggest mistake of my life."

"Raylee?"

A sigh came out of her pale lips as she stopped herself from running her hands through her styled hair, "I am still in love with Alex," she sat down on the chair to the vanity, looking completely defeated, "I cannot go another day without him. I sound so foolish, since I'm the one who walked out of his life. But I thought I could do it, I truly did. I was wrong, brainy ol' stubborn me."

Kara approached her friend and took her hands, not really know what to say. She stared into the petite girl's eyes and saw how weary she was, causing her to break down a little herself. She got to her knees and wrapped her arms around Ray, knowing she needed comfort.

"He's going to reject me."

"I highly doubt that honey. There isn't a day that goes by where he doesn't make a sad face at the sound of your name -- a day that he doesn't mention you if you're not brought up. He loves you so much, maybe he won't admit it at first, but he does."

The curly haired girl let a small smile slip through her distraught expression, as she squeezed her friend's hand tightly. They stared at each other in silence for a moment, completely missing how easily one could comfort the other. Kara stood, pulling her small friend to her feet and giving her a devilish smile.

"We've got a party to attend," she grabbed the handle of her closet and gave it a tug, "I might have something that will cover up those straps, maybe a shawl or something. By the way, why is it so lucky -- or whatever you called it?"

"Alex bought it for me."

Kara did a double take, noticing that her friend was serious, "Be bought you- did you two-"

"No."

"Whatever, I'll never understand how you guys only had one fight over not having sex. We have to get ready, the party starts soon!"

Alex paced the length of his living room with wide steps, firmly holding the velvet box in his right hand. You need to move on, he informed himself, Holly is the best you'll get man, so take her. You'll find a way to love her. He ruffled his firmly moussed hair with his free hand and let out a long sigh, knowing his reasons were selfish.

But he couldn't find it within himself to care. He just wanted happiness, even if it was fake.

The boy opened the box and stared at the ring, it was silver with a medium sized diamond in the clasp. Alex removed the ring from the box and stared at the inscription, Forever and always, I'll love you. He closed his eyes as he replaced it safely in it's case and stuffed it into the pocket of his pants before pressing the heels of his hands over his eyelids.

That saying was completely true several years ago, since that ring was meant for Raylee Jones. He bought it the day that he realized that he loved her, not caring if she had come around to loving him back yet or not. He could never forget that day, it was burned in his memory - he could practically see it everytime he closed his eyes.

Alex grabbed his jacket and pulled his keys from the pocket as he walked out his front door to his car. He could tell that something big was going to happen tonight, but he couldn't tell if it was just his nerves. As pulled up to Holly's apartment, he let out a long sigh as he mind wondered.

He wanted to just leave her there at her apartment, and never talk to her again... He was never good with breakups. Alex couldn't get his mind off the fact that Raylee was going to be at the party tonight, he hadn't seen her in what seemed like forever. He knew he was going to get all sweaty at the sight of her, his throat was going to swell, and he was going to regret not fighting harder for her.

But before the boy could make the decision, his girlfriend came running out of her front door, her heels clicking on the sidewalk. She pulled opened the car door and slipped in, shivering from the chill of the night's wind. Her lips pressed against Alex's cheek, causing him to snap out of his daze and greet her.

Not even ten minutes later, the singer pulled his vehicle onto Rian's street. He dropped Holly off at the front sidewalk and drove around to find a parking spot. Alex was a little relieved, knowing that Raylee wouldn't show up until the big party at the ballroom Hopeless was renting; even though she was invited to Rian's family pre-celebration, he knew that Kara would keep her busy getting ready.

It was the perfect place to ask Holly, but something told him that he needed one more look at Raylee. Maybe if she walked in with a guy around her arm, he would find it easier to ask his girlfriend to marry him and feel like he was doing the right thing. That would be the thing to make him get over her, he decided.

The brunettes walked into the ballroom arm in arm, taking in the loud music and hustle of the party-goers with wide smiles. Kara pulled her friend when she noticed the boys, not completely thinking her move through. As she and Raylee, in tow, approach them, Alex pivoted and went to find his girlfriend. In the darkness, it wasn't easy for any of the boys to notice her frown; but their hugs made her forget about Alex for the moment.

"We've missed you," Zack grabbed her by the shoulders to examine her, "so tell me, how was college?"

"Not as amazing as everyone makes it out to be, I'd rather tour with my friends like you guys did, congrats on the new CD" she hugged him again, "I've missed you guys so much, too."

Alex walked back over to the group, this time Holly was wrapped around his arm. She was wearing a black floor length dress with gold accent flowers dancing up the slit of her dress. Her slender hand struck out, reaching for Raylee like she was trying to greet her. The smaller girl stared at her for a moment before slowly shaking her hand, analyzing the girl who Lisa and Kara claimed to be identical to her personality wise -- but she just saw a polished up version of Alex's classic slut.

"I'm Holly Joann," her voice indicated a slight southern accent.

"Raylee Jones."

"Oh you're Miss Raylee? Everyone's got so much to say about you around here."

She didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult, so she just smiled and looked at her friends. Before she could think of something to reply with, she felt arms wrapping around her; she closed her eyes at the embrace and took in the familiar scent. When Alex let go of her, she stared at him in shock with a growing smile.

"I'm glad you came."

"Me too," Ray told him, "I needed my boys back in my life."

He smiled, "It took a little while to get used to you not being around anymore, but it's good that you're coming back home. Maybe we can be friends again?"

She felt as if her legs had been kicked out from under her, but she just nodded. Kara sensed it, so she pulled her friend away towards the table that had drinks; no one had any idea that Alex was feeling the same pain. The girls both ordered something with a low alcohol content in it and walked to a secluded area.

"Hun, are you okay?"

Raylee made a face, "My life. I'm starting to learn that nothing goes the way I want it to. So yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you going to tell him? I mean, if you don't at least you'll be friends."

"I'll always look back at this moment and say, what if? I can't be a coward, even if it means never seeing him again."

"Wow, you've got guts."

Raylee didn't say anything to her friend, she just stood with her as the boys went on stage to make a speech. When they got off the stage, the music started playing again. She started towards Alex, he didn't seem to notice her so she grabbed his arm.

"We need to talk about something Alex."

He shook his head, getting the wrong vibe from what she was saying and tried to walk away, but she dug her fingers firmly in his arm. He turned to her and arched his brows, waiting for her to tell him what she was keeping him for.

"I don't want to hear that you still hate me Ray, it will kill me," he glanced over at the table that held the musical equipment, "do you know how long it took me to finally get this song on a CD? It's about you. You helped me open up to be who I am."

"That's not what I was going to say."

Alex was afraid of hearing the worst from her, so he just walked away from her. He was heading for Holly, his hand already in his pocket clutching the box. She followed him, trying to get close enough so that she could grab him again, but she couldn't catch up with her short legs and uncomfortable heels.

"Alex, I'm still in love with you!"

Everyone -- the entire room, including staff -- turned to look at her, then at the singer. Much to her dismay, the song was changing just as the words came out of her mouth. Alex pivoted on his heel and looked at her, a slightly furious expression on his face.

"You're still in love with me?"

"Yes," she replied softly to his rage coated tone.

"What, you expect me to take you back when you ditched me? I was waiting for you that day at the park, you never freaking showed! What the hell was that?"

"Alex, stop it!"

She was crying now, when a hand grabbed her by the waist and pulled her out of the ballroom and into the fresh night she completely broke down. Zack wrapped his arms around her as she let out how upset she was, Kara joined them and rubbed her friend's arm.

"I cannot believe him, Rian pulled him into the back room and is screaming at him."

"He doesn't have to."

"Oh he does," Kar replied firmly.

The curly haired girl pulled away from her strong friend, her makeup smeared all over her face, "I deserved that, Alex was completely right with everything that he said."

"No I wasn't."

The three turned to see him standing there with a foolish expression on his face, he took Raylee into his arms and pressed his lips against her's. She could feel her skin get all hot as the kiss got deeper, she wrapped her arms around his neck so he wouldn't ever pull away. But he moved his lips to her ear and whispered so that only she would hear him.

"I'm still in love with you too."

THE END
♠ ♠ ♠
First off I want to thank ALL of you (the 330 that have subscribed to the ones who only read a few chapters), you guys made me want to make this story better and interesting. I want to thank everyone who left me a comment, even if it wasn't much, because you kept me going. I'd like to thank my co-writer too, for helping me write this story.

It saddens me that this had to come to an end, but it has to.

I would love it if you could all do me one favor: tell me what you liked most or disliked the most about this story in a comment or a message, just so that I know what to improve on while I re-write this for publication. Hopefully it will be liked by a publishing company...