Lawn Boy

Family

“Well we were waiting for you to say something!” said Uncle Kevin with a smile and a happy tone.
The entire table started to laugh including me and Asher. It was such a relief to know that my family acted as if me, a boy, having a boyfriend was the most natural thing in the world. Once everyone finished their dinner, my mom passed out slices of her famous homemade pies. After dessert was when everyone just sort of sat around reminiscing and such. Luckily Ash and I found a spot on the couch. He had his arm around me as my uncle and aunts told him embarrassing stories of when I was younger. My uncle told him the story of one Halloween when I was seven and he scared me with his costume so much that I peed in my pants. I don’t think I’ve ever blushed more than when he told that story. Asher just smiled and kissed me on the cheek.
“Tell us about how you met,” asked Aunt Carol.
“Oh god,” said Shane who was pretty silent for most of the day; so much so that I almost forgot that he was there.
“What’s wrong with you?” Carol asked Shane.
“Well, he was there when we met,” I said. “He introduced us.”
“Yeah, except I had a girlfriend back then,” said Asher.
“Ugh, don’t even mention her,” said Shane.
“I think I just threw up a little in my mouth,” I was disgusted.
“Is it wrong that he had a girlfriend?” asked Carol.
“No,” I said. “What’s wrong is that she’s a vindictive bitch. She had her brother and his friends jump me just because she was mad that Asher broke up with her for me.”
“Oh my god,” said Carol.
“Did you press charges?” asked Uncle Kevin.
“There’s no way to prove it,” I said.
Everyone pretty much left the subject alone after that. After all, I’m better now and I’m happy with Asher. After conversations went on for a little longer, a few of my family members left and a few lingered. Asher and I found some alone time in the now empty den. Before us it was filled with my uncles who had deemed it the cigar smoking room. Neither of us was bothered by the cent. Asher actually expressed his like for the scent, even though he would never smoke himself.
“So…?” I asked as Asher and I cuddled on the couch which was on the side of the fireplace, which was lit with a fire.
The fire crackled before Asher could respond. “What?” He asked.
“What do you think of my family?” I asked, looking up at him. I had my head resting on his shoulder.
“Oh!” He exclaimed in sarcasm. He smiled. “They’re great. I really like them. I didn’t really get to talk to your grandmother though.”
“Yeah, I don’t think she took the whole surprise coming out too well. She’s kind of old fashioned.”
“You don’t think she’s mad do you?”
“I don’t know. I don’t really know her all that well.” I paused. “Do you really want to talk about my grandmother right now?” I asked with a smirk on my face.
Asher smiled and went in for a kiss. When tried to pull away, I put my hand on the back of his head and pulled him back into the kiss. Then I pushed him onto the couch and climbed on top of him, really getting into the kiss. Things were just getting good when my uncle Kevin walked into the room and caught us making out on the couch.
“Oh, that’s so not something I ever wanted to walk in on,” said Kevin, looking away.
Asher and I sat up on the couch.
“Couldn’t you have knocked, Uncle Kevin?” I asked.
“I didn’t know anyone was in here.”
The both of us straightened our shirts and fixed our hair. Kevin walked in anyway and sat in the arm chair right in front of us.
“Ahh, that fire feels good,” he said as he got out a cigar. “Do you mind?”
We both shook our head and he lit his cigar. He let out a puff of smoke and then stared into the fire distantly.
“You never said how you guys met,” he said, as if remembering.
“Ah…We met at school,” I said.
“Shane introduced us,” said Asher.
“Where’s Shane’s dad by the way?” I asked.
“Oh, Carol said he wasn’t feeling well,” said Kevin. “You know I never would’ve guessed you as gay,” said Kevin.
“Yet, you weren’t really surprised,” I said sarcastically.
“It’s not that I wasn’t surprised. I was. It just doesn’t matter to me if you’re gay or straight or purple. You’re family.”
“I just hope my family is the same way,” said Asher.
“You haven’t told them?” asked Kevin.
“I told my dad and my brother, but not the rest of my family. We’re going to tell them at Christmas,” he continued.
“Oh keeping the surprise coming out going, huh?”
“Yeah, pretty much. My whole family’ll be together anyway.”

* * *

That night, once everyone had left, everyone helped to clean up the house, including Asher. Somehow it came up that he’s been alone at home and would be until his dad got back home on Saturday. I thought my mom was going to have a heart attack.
“Oh no, we can’t have you staying all alone in your house when there’s plenty of room for you to stay here,” she said.
“Thanks, but I don’t think I can do that. I mean, I don’t want to impose or anything.”
“Don’t be silly, you’re always welcome here.” She paused. “You can stay here tonight and you can go get your stuff tomorrow morning after breakfast.”

* * *

Asher and I were in my room. He sat on my bed as I stood across the room at my drawers changing for bed.
“I can’t believe your mom is actually okay with this,” said Asher. “It’s so cool that she asked me to stay.”
“Yeah, I was really shocked,” I said.
I was down to my underwear and Asher was suddenly quiet. I looked over at him and he was staring at me with eyes of desire.
I giggled. “What?”
“You’re perfect.”
I smiled and threw sweatpants in his face. “Shut up. You can wear those by the way.”
He laughed quietly. “Thanks.”
Once I was dressed in my sweats and old t-shirt, I walked over to Asher and sat next to him on the bed. He held my sweatpants in his lap tightly. I leaned over and I was just about to kiss him when my mom burst into the room.
“Honey, remember to lend Asher some—Oh, I’m sorry. I’m not…gonna have to worry about you two up here am I?”
“No mom, it was just a kiss. Well, an almost kiss.”
“Well, just remember to lend him some clothes to sleep in.”
Asher held up the sweats. “Covered,” he said.
“Well, you kids sleep well. And no funny business.”
“Mom!”